Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Will do:

Calendar.jpg

And thanks for the tip, CFB.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

LOL. You're too organized Al. I write stuff on a piece of paper and stick it to the fridge where I might see it again before I'm supposed to be somewhere or do something.

By the way, stop getting into fights with Checking, then you wont have to reconcile.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

BTW, the receipt had a coupon for $3 off for a "Friend of family member."

It is: 38ebat3d
Old 11-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Update on Battery Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Yep, those 7200mah batteries will give you a much longer run time than the 4000ish that probably came standard with the laptop. Might weigh an extra .25lb, but that's not so bad.

Now lets see how many years it lasts. Can you check back in on this thread in 2010 with an updated report?
Here's an update:

It's now been one year and two months, and the charge lasts for only about 15 minutes. Worse is that I can't seem to get the battery power meter calibrated so that the alarms will cause the computer to hibernate when power gets low. The battery level gets to about 65%, and then the machine shuts down without tripping the critical battery action.

I'll look into the warranty, but I'm not expecting much.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Here's their warranty:
A Warranty applies to any battery that cannot hold a charge longer than 45 minutes with all power settings on the laptop set to minimum. All batteries will be inspected to verify the battery does not hold a charge. If a battery has lost some of its effectiveness and you wish to exchange it, but it does not fall within the guidelines of an exchange you can exchange the battery and receive a new battery for a nominal fee. Usually we offer a minimum of a 35% discount upon the everyday price.

Concerning "all power settings on the laptop set to minimum," I guess that means minimum screen brightness and wifi off.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Al, DW is having a similar problem with the battery in her year-old Dell Vostro laptop. The recharge cycle deteriorated to the point she's now getting a message saying the battery has reached the end of it's useful life and needs to be replaced.

Of course a replacement battery is difficult to find from anyone other than Dell. Adding insult to injury, the replacement runs $140 - and gets lousy ratings from customers who purchased one.

Nothing I can do about it now, but I'm pretty sure I've purchased my last product from Dell...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought this one off Ebay. $33.95 with free delivery. So far seems to work well.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Well, I just did a test. I set the screen brightness to the minimum, turned off the wifi (that takes a significant amount of power), and let the computer sit there doing nothing. Under those circumstances, the charge lasted for 63 minutes.

I also spent a good bit of time trying to talk with someone at the LaptopBatteryDepot without success. I spoke with a saleswoman who said "They have a warranty?" and am waiting a call back.

I don't expect much from the warranty department, but I'm sure this battery will not last for another 10 months.

---------------------

Related to that, the battery alarms are not working consistently. That is, the laptop will turn off without warning. I've even set the low battery alarm to 69% and the critical battery alarm to 50%.

Sometimes the low battery alarm will be triggered.

I think that the charge drops so quickly at some point that the firmware shutoff is triggered before the others get a chance(?)

With everything at minimum it got down to about 10% before it shut down, so perhaps now the system has been recalibrated.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #29

My Dell is 2 months old and I have the same issue with the computer just shutting down. Sometime it says a certain amount of time left and other times it just shuts down with no warning.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #30
Administrator

Pretty amazing, considering Dell's good reputation.

I am on my third year with the same Toshiba laptop, that I bought from Office Depot for $450 in 2007. I use it a lot every day. No battery problems at all. I keep it plugged in much of the time, but from what I understand that doesn't extend battery life. (?)

My Toshiba laptop has been all over the country due to work travel, both in carry-ons and (gulp!) checked luggage many times - - plus last week, I caught my foot in the power cord and it catapulted across the room, landing flat open on the floor about 8 feet away, screen down. It seems nearly indestructible.

Drat. I want a Windows 7 machine!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... last week, I caught my foot in the power cord and it catapulted across the room, landing flat open on the floor about 8 feet away, screen down. It seems nearly indestructible.

Drat. I want a Windows 7 machine!
Keep catapulting and I'm sure you'll get one.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Keep catapulting and I'm sure you'll get one.
I'm trying, I'm trying!!! Stupid thing just won't break.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #33

Thanks to kumkuat, I took a second look at third party replacement batteries. When I'd checked on a replacement a couple of months ago, I noticed all the third party batteries were 11.1v and the OEM battery in the Dell Vostro 1000 was 14.8v. I had used that information to reject the third party batteries I'd found since they weren't the correct voltage.

Further investigation on the Dell site shows five separate replacement batteries for the Vostro - two are 13.2v, two are 11.1v and one doesn't give voltage info. Turns out laptops have quite a bit of latitude in acceptable voltage - as an example, the adapter/charger puts out 19v.

Bottom line, I ordered an eBay battery for less than $40, shipped.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I bought a used Dell laptop about a year ago. The battery that came with lasted only about a week and then wouldn't hold a recharge. The place that I bought the laptop explicitly said the battery is not part of the warranty.

Rather than shelling out the money to buy a new battery to replace the one that lasted only about a week, I said, "the heck with it, I'll go batteryless and just use the adaptor." I've been using my laptop that way and believe it or not, I really don't miss that battery much. Instead of have to recharge it again and again, I just run off the adaptor and forget about it.

My disclaimer is I only use my laptop when I travel away for several days and don't tote it around place to place too much so adaptor only works fine for me.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I've got a Vostro, maybe 2 years or so old, and about a year ago it starts booting up with a message that the battery isn't recognized and won't be recharged. Reading up, this usually means the battery is nearly dead. But the meter still says it's got an hour, so I figure if I leave it plugged in all the time I can probably milk it for awhile. I do unplug it to move it from place to place, so I really want some battery life for that.

About a month later, I kick the cord out and don't notice until the battery alarm goes off. But when I plug it back in, the next day I see that it's got about an hour left. So it really does still charge. I've done this a few times, plus I've had a couple of power outages and forgot that it was still powered on.

I'll probably nurse it this way until I want my next laptop. I don't know that it'll be a Dell again, but I don't know that the components other makers use are any better, so it'll probably be another price comparison.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #36

My Dell laptop is about 2 years old and only ran on batteries when the power failed or I unplugged it to see what happened. Battery lasted about 15 minutes. I bought a new one off Ebay, installed and tested it. It lasted an hour. Then I replaced the original and found it good for about an hour also. I think, maybe, remove and replace cleaned up the contacts a bit and the battery was not at fault.

In the bad old days of IBM mainframes, one of the "solutions" the CE's used was to "reseat" components (ie. remove and replace).

Anyone else observed this?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Today, I turned it on and started my stopwatch, and found, with normal use, the computer shut down after 8.5 minutes! I plugged in and rebooted, and the power meter said that it had an 80% charge remaining.

After full charge was reached, I unplugged, and it shut down after only seven minutes. I rebooted without plugging in, and the charge is still 70%.

So there is something funny going on.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #38

Follow up: I posted here of my plans to purchase a replacement laptop battery off ebay. I got it a week ago and it was a perfect fit. It powers the computer for 3+ hours - not bad for $38.75, especially when compared to the $150 Dell is asking.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Follow up: I posted here of my plans to purchase a replacement laptop battery off ebay. I got it a week ago and it was a perfect fit. It powers the computer for 3+ hours - not bad for $38.75, especially when compared to the $150 Dell is asking.
So far so good. There are two questions about a battery from an unknown source: one is, how long will it hold a charge compared to a "genuine" replacement battery? Seems like yours passes that test.

The other question is: how long will it last/how many charge cycles can I get out of it? Unfortunately, that often takes months to answer.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The other question is: how long will it last/how many charge cycles can I get out of it? Unfortunately, that often takes months to answer.
Yep, to be determined.

The bar isn't set too high - the original battery lasted only a year.