Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-12-2010, 07:20 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Since I am a dog, I much prefer to be somewhat anonymous online. I don't see how to do that with Facebook. If I have an account and share it with my family and coworkers, they all become somewhat aware of my activities. If I then share it with my drinking buddies, those activities become somewhat visible as well. Imagine if I am trying to maintain a reputation as a top dog in my field but also trying to maintain at least cordial contact with fringe elements. It isn't long before both factions see me as contaminated by my contacts, and the whole house of cards falls down. Or at least it seems that way to me, as if the playground cliques became widespread and developed permanent record keeping. I'd rather slink around in the shadows.
I share growing_older's concerns. My solution was to create two facebook profiles. One for my collegues and one for my friends. Works fine so far.

Like FD I don't "like" early retirement related things on FB because neither my friends nor my colleagues need to know about that.

But if you're a bit lonely or feel you're losing contact with friends and family, FB can fix that and add some extra joy to your life.

Tip: stay away from FB games, like Farmville. They are a waste of time and are bad for your image.

Use but don't trust FB's privacy controls.

Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
You can delete all farmville or similar activity by clicking on the X on the top right of the entry and then select to remove all future farmville activity. This is usually better than unfriending the perp.

For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
You can delete all farmville or similar activity by clicking on the X on the top right of the entry and then select to remove all future farmville activity. This is usually better than unfriending the perp.
Thanks, that is one of the most annoying things about FB seeing everyone's game activity. I've ignored all the invites for Farmville, Mafia Wars, etc but am tired of seeing all the stuff others are playing. I think it is the new time waster, but I have plenty of other things I prefer to waste time on.

powerplay is online now   Reply With Quote