Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Oh Boy Rustwood. You gave me a headache trying to figure out what you said in your post. I need to read it again in the morning when my brain is fresh. I type in the router in my browser and get the Linksys Setup Screen. It is showing the same IP address as above.
However, when I go to the Command Prompt and type in
ipconfig. What I get is: Media State.......Media disconnected.

When I look at available Networks where your laptop shows you what signals it is picking up, it shows the Linksys with a strong signal, but has a yellow (sort of like explanation mark ) on top of the Linksys connection, and says unsecured Network.

You know like when you go into Devise Manager and you have a conflict with something. (but it's not exactly the same)

Any idea what's going on? I have been looking at wireless routers all day on line. I didn't want to spend of bunch of money but the more I read the more the price goes up.
Just seems to be one of those "One mans heaven is another man's hell" when it comes to routers. Some people swear by the Netgear, another by Belkin. Reviewers love the new Cisco, but many Cisco Lynksys owners (since the more reliable 54G units), think their trash when it comes to longevity issues. Every time I think I have finally decided on which one to get, I read something that makes me change my mind and I'm back to square one.

Maybe we need to go back to the days when there was no internet, and YOU JUST BOUGHT SOMETHING! Sure did have a lot more time on your hands back then.

E86s54: I have had success with the Netgear small business commercial line. They are more robust have faster CPUs and more memory.

Can you tell me what model number is considered a small business commercial line?
On a wired network you would get Media disconnected if the ethernet cable was ... disconnected, or if the device at the other end of it was powered off. On a wireless network, it just means you don't have a connection.

It sounds like your wireless adapter is seeing your access point (access point is the wireless part of the router -- it provides network access to wireless clients). This is looking more and more like a mismatch between access point settings in the router, and wireless adapter settings on the clients. Again, because all wireless are affected the problem is most likely in the single element they all have in common, which is the access point (router).

If you unsecured the router, you would have to unsecure the wireless clients in order for them to get in. That is OK for now until you get running, but not long term.

So, some things to check, and you have to check both the router and the wireless client and these have to match:

Mode: I believe the 54g was a b/g router, meaning that it will use 802.11B or 802.11G, or either. There is probably a setting for that. The "either" or "both" is probably best for now.

See if the router has something called "MAC address filtering" or access list. This is a list of MAC addresses that are allowed in. If this got turned on accidentally, then nothing would connect unless you entered its MAC address into the table.

Encryption settings have to match on both sides. Type, strength, and key or passphrase. Check those.

Can't recommend a router as I have only dealt with a couple of the home routers. I use a Netgear consumer router at home, and if this one dies (see previous post), I'll probably just replace it with a new one. BTW they don't have a lot of real routing to do. All outbound traffic takes the default route of which is whatever the cable modem connects to. For inbound traffic they do more switching than routing. The one thing they do that is extremely useful in home networks is network address translation (NAT) which 1) allows you to connect multiple devices to the net using one public IP address, and 2) prevents anyone from outside your network getting in uninvited.

Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2011, 05:25 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
I gave my 54G to someone I did not like. Seriously I am much happier with the Belkin. Resets with the 54G always seemed to result in some sort of problem.

I wish I was half as good as my dog thinks I am!
bruce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #23
Windows has the wireless settings for your old connection stored. You need to go in and delete those, and have Windows re-discover the network. It is just not the SSID--but that suggests something to try. Change your SSID, and Windows will find it as a new WAP. Maybe.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #24
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Windows has the wireless settings for your old connection stored. You need to go in and delete those, and have Windows re-discover the network. It is just not the SSID--but that suggests something to try. Change your SSID, and Windows will find it as a new WAP. Maybe.
On a friend's HP laptop, I found that after moving to a new wireless connection, that even after changing the SSID and getting that set up, the darn thing was still reporting Media Disconnected. It turns out that turning on the wireless network settings wasn't sufficient. We also had to go into the device tree, find the driver for the wireless 'card' built into the laptop, open the Properties tab, and check the box to turn on the Broadcom radio chip.

Why that device driver couldn't turn on it's radio itself when opened, I'll never know. Maybe they thought that making the radio chip power optional when using wireless networks added to that flexibility all users love?
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #25
gone traveling
Too bad hearing all these problems with the Syslink/Cisco routers.

I've had my WRT300N around 4-5 years without any hitches at all, running a home network of one direct-connect desktop/printer and two (laptop and netbook) wireless units.

It replaced a Netgear router that I had for a few years, but constantly overheated and went off-line. I guess you could say I feel about Netgear the same as those commented on Syslink ...

Just my $.02...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #26
One of the things to keep in mind in this case is this was a working LAN before the switch from DSL to cable. This should have required absolutely no changes on the LAN. Just unplug the router from the DSL modem, plug into the cable modem, then either ipconfig release/renew or just power cycle all devices on the LAN to update the Domain Name Server addresses to those from the new ISP. That's it.
Can't seem to get the OP to say what, if anything was changed on the LAN.

Modhatter, if you reach the point where you are ready to go buy a new router, try a hardware reset on your existing router. There is usually a little recessed button in back that you have to press with a bent paperclip or equivalent. Check the manual for this procedure because sometimes you have to do simultaneous or sequential things human tricks to get this to happen, like with the power on, press the button and hold for ten seconds while standing on your ear whistling Dixie and patting your head and rubbing your stomach all at the same time. Then you will have to configure the router all over again, but you'll have to do that with a new one anyway.

From what you have posted it sounds like your hardware is functioning properly, but I guess it's possible that it is broken.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.
Thank you all for your recommendations. I continue to fiddle with it. Meanwhile I am still trying to decide on a new router.
I don't want to be without Internet again. I survived about five days last month, and it was like being taken off drugs (not that I can actually relate)
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #28
Fiddling sounds like fun! Shut it all down. Do a hard reset on the router. This may mean more than just pushing in a reset button.
Windows can be so helpful at a time like this...

target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote