Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2015, 07:33 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You will need the command line in Linux. That is part of the learning. Things do go wrong, but you gain a deeper understanding of how it works.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I was going to suggest Lubuntu which is a very lite version of Ubuntu . I have it running very well on an HP Mini 1010NR with the 1.6 Intel Atom processor.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
You will need the command line in Linux. That is part of the learning. Things do go wrong, but you gain a deeper understanding of how it works.
I disagree that you need to learn/understand terminal commands to any great degree to use Linux. Yes, you will probably need the command line on occasion, because (as I mentioned earlier) solutions/options/installations are often given in the form of copy/paste lines, as that is shorter, easier, and more reliable. But copy/paste/return is not really 'understanding' to me - it's just getting a job done. Yes, it can give you a deeper understanding, but so does rebuilding an engine, but the typical car driver does not need that understanding to get to the store any more than the typical computer user needs a good understanding of the terminal to browse and email and create a spreadsheet

I've been using Linux since 2009, it's been on my main machines since 2010, and I've installed it on a half-dozen different machines over the years. And I am still a total klutz when it comes to the terminal. I rarely use it, and when I do, it's typically the copy/paste solutions I've found from reputable sources on the web, or some simple, convenenient commands that I've saved in a text document as a quick way to check something (ping command for example). I've used it with some deeper understanding when I did want to try something different or more advanced, but there wasn't a need for it, just a desire.

I think the 'you need to learn arcane geeky commands' is off-putting to potential new users. Linux is probably running your GPS, DVR, Wi-Fi router, maybe your phone and a bunch of other things in your house/car. When is the last time you used the terminal on those?

-ERD50
Old 03-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #24

Big thanks again for the help...
Now that it's up and running, I've decided to do what I never do... "read the instructions"...

Going to try Chromium...

The bios issue was setting the boot to the USB HDD... Shows 2 on the system, and I put them first in the boot order, but for whaever reason, it was jumping past to the DVD drive... and then the hard drive. Frustrating. Finally got it to work, but don't know how or why.

Am keeping the dual boot because I don't expect to use Linux... too addicted to the whole Google package... Drive, voice, sheets etc etc.... and syncing with four computers and three tablets.

A little aside that is quite interesting... an old geezer... oldernme just bought an LG SmartTV. He's pretty smart, and all by himself... no help at all til I came along... browsing the web, installing LG apps, and generally doing everything from a remote control... voice commands, on screen typewriter, email, etc, etc. Haven't delved into this but looks like LG has a proprietary system. Maybe Linux based?... We couldn't load any interactive websites for gaming, and the only browser available is proprietary. Couldn't do much more than what is built in...

He got excited about using a computer, and bought a new laptop... Windows 8.1 I think... Very embarassing for me... sheesh... never did figure how to close a program... Gonna wait 'til 10 comes out to buy my last computer.

Back to the Linux instructions for this dummy.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Am keeping the dual boot because I don't expect to use Linux... too addicted to the whole Google package... Drive, voice, sheets etc etc.... and syncing with four computers and three tablets. ....
Whatever, but it looks like all those things are available in Linux. I definitely use Google Drive, and the various Google Docs. The ref I showed earlier says sync works as well. Have not played with Google voice, but a little searching says it is available.

-ERD50
Old 03-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

^^ Yes...I think it all works on Chrome (not sure about Chromium) in Lubuntu.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Big thanks again for the help...
Now that it's up and running, I've decided to do what I never do... "read the instructions"...

Going to try Chromium...

The bios issue was setting the boot to the USB HDD... Shows 2 on the system, and I put them first in the boot order, but for whaever reason, it was jumping past to the DVD drive... and then the hard drive. Frustrating. Finally got it to work, but don't know how or why.

Am keeping the dual boot because I don't expect to use Linux... too addicted to the whole Google package... Drive, voice, sheets etc etc.... and syncing with four computers and three tablets.
Did you check the BIOS version? You may be able to get an upgrade that straightens out some of the boot "weirdness." No guarantee, though. Just have to try stuff, and see what works.

I think I recall Chromium is right there in the software updates, so should install with little difficulty. There are plenty of links that have instructions specific for your Ubuntu version. Of course there are snags, but you can fix things up.

You will be much better off ditching Windows XP, unless there are some irreplaceable programs on your notebook.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #28

imoldernu: regardless of how this works out, it is good exercise for your mind. Problem solving like this generates new neural connections!
Old 03-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
imoldernu: regardless of how this works out, it is good exercise for your mind. Problem solving like this generates new neural connections!
Yeah... maybe if I work at it a little harder, I'll be able to follow the very simple instructions as shown in this thread... How to install Chrome:::

How to install Chrome browser properly via command line? - Ask Ubuntu

Yeah... I know... I've been otherthinking this easy stuff.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah... maybe if I work at it a little harder, I'll be able to follow the very simple instructions as shown in this thread... How to install Chrome:::

Yep, once again, just install Chromium (the open-source version of Chrome) - a single click from the "Ubuntu Software Center". Couldn't be easier.

-ERD50
Old 03-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #31

Quote:

That's a confusing page, for sure. Many instructions are like that, in that there may or may not be follow up and correction.

I usually search and read a few hits to see what's really happening. There are more than a few readers on this forum who will try out whatever you want, and see what happens.

One thing that I've been doing to help myself get re-acquainted with linux is to keep a text file on the desktop, and try to log what works, and what it intends to do. Rather than just following along with an untested set of instructions from a recommended web page, I take the time to copy the steps into the text file, and take a few moments to comment the instructions. Then I copy commands from my text file to command line. Did it work? If not, I usually search for whatever errors are coming up in my command window, and try to mitigate those. If it worked, I move on to the next step.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #32

Linux distro recommendation

I think the LiveDVD/USB options are good for people who might be new to Linux distributions ("Linux" is really the kernel only) and wonder what it's like or specialized short-term use like in training sessions at conferences where attendees bring their own laptops.

I have an old G4 Powerbook (!) that I only keep alive for iTunes. When I get a newer Apple desktop, I'll wipe the Powerbook and install a Linux distribution on it - no dual-boot or virtual machines.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:14 PM   #33

If you need Chrome go to:
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/
it will download a file like "google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb" (for 64 bit processor, .deb for Debian which is for Ubuntu) to your "/home/yourname/Downloads" folder.
Double click and it will install.
I have both Chrome and Chromium installed.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:31 AM   #34

'nother update...
No idea how it happened, but after trying different things... like where is the "run" command, or what a PPA or sudo is... did something that made the screen go black... got frustrated, went to the kitchen for a cup of coffee, and then, five minutes later came back to the computer...

... then, what to my wondering eyes did apppear, but the full version of Chrome, not Chromium... right there in front of me... Chrome, in all its' glory.

... and all's right with the world.

Came up, synced, and working faster and better than it ever did on that old machine. Successful entry into the world of Linux. Now I can go in and look at the instructions.

thanks again.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #35

The key is coffee. You were missing the coffee, imoldernu! Keep that in mind for the future my friend. Coffee first!
Old 03-07-2015, 07:47 AM   #36

linux works very well on old hardware. You don't have to use the command line but it is extremely useful. As a systems administrator I couldn't live without it and spend as much time there as in the GUI. It was several years before linux distros provided a GUI as standard install ( around '97 or so when Xfree was cross compiled ).

Your "run" command is available by opening a terminal window ( or console ). sudo is a great tool ( another item wintendoze is missing ) for allowing specific access to progams and admin tools..

There is a built in help system on unix system called man ( or manual pages ). Each command has a man pages. Type "man sudo" in the console window will bring up the man page for sudo

Here's a command summary link, An A-Z Index of the Bash command line | SS64.com

There's lots of info for linux ( really unix ) newbs on the web. Here's an intro UNIX / Linux Tutorial for Beginners
Old 09-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #37

After rebuilding the two computers that got trashed when I tried to install Windows 10... (just finished), I loaded "Mint" on to an older computer, and managed to get Chromium, which works well for browsing.

So far it does what I need, but I've decided that learning commands is too much for this old brain...

What I thought should be a simple question turned into more that what I want to do... My question was, how big is the hard drive, and how much is being used.
I thought a no brainer...

Heck, I couldn't even find the file manager until someone told me it was packed in with the "trash" folder... But the file manager didn't help anyway, so i found a website that promised an easy way to find out the answer to my question.

For non-linux users.... You might enjoy reading the simplified instructions for finding the size of your hard drive.

ubuntu - Get total size of my hard drive in Linux, using the command line, without root permissions? - Super User

Old 09-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #38

WHy not "Disk Usage Analyzer"

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Baobab
Old 09-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So far it does what I need, but I've decided that learning commands is too much for this old brain...

What I thought should be a simple question turned into more that what I want to do... My question was, how big is the hard drive, and how much is being used.
I thought a no brainer... ...
It is every bit as simple (maybe simpler?) as in any OS I've worked with - you took the complicated path.

The apps "gparted" and/or "disks" give you that and more in a totally GUI format. I would think one or both would be part of the Mint installation, but iff not, just install them. In Ubuntu, I found them both in the "Ubuntu Software Center" - just search for disk utilities, click to install, and then go at it.

You don't need the command line for this (though some may choose to use it).

Here are links specific to Mint:

gparted - Linux Mint Community

gnome-disk-utility - Linux Mint Community

-ERD50
Old 09-08-2015, 10:26 PM   #40

I'm a newcomer to linux, started a little over 2 months ago when I decided that an old HP desktop computer with 1 Gig memory and using windows XP was really too far gone and unsafe for any serious use so I would try Linux. I started out with Linux Mint Cinnamon version. Downloaded ISO and then burned the ISO image into a bootable DVD which I installed along windows XP. Much to my surprise the whole thing worked just fine with the old computer. I then took windows XP out and did a full install of Linux mint Cinnamon.

I then caught the "distro" bug (different flavors or front ends to a linux operating system) Kind of like getting the same basic car except that this version has manual transmission, sports suspension and a V8 while this other one has a V6 and automatic, and a cushy ride.

I've tried 6 distros so far:

Linux Mint in Cinnamon, KDE and XFCE versions and,
Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu which are the corresponding versions based on Ubuntu

I should mention that Linux mint is also based on the Ubuntu version of Linux but from what I've read has a more "conservative" approach in that it values stability over having the latest twists and it adds a lot of software and tweaks that are unique to Linux Mint.

What I've found is that I really don't need to use the command terminal at all to get things done. But it's there if I want to use it and it's very efficient.

For my old computer I've found that the XFCE versions (Linux Mint XFCE and Xubuntu) are far faster and speedier than the other versions. My old HP computer really flies with those distro versions. I prefer Linux Mint XFCE over Xubuntu because I like the software that comes with mint and I like having the menu bar at the bottom of the screen as it is for windows XP.

Lately I have been playing with the KDE version of Linux mint as well as with Kubuntu. These versions are not as speedy as XFCE on my computer but they are so customizable and have so many widgets and gadgets and fun toys that I find them very entertaining just to play with.