Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-08-2015, 10:30 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks...
Am guessing y'all sensed my irritation at the "command" stuff... Now I see that there may be an easier way. Will try those "install" sites. Looks like Google Play type of installs. I may be able to handle that.

The idea of having to use typed commands is a spoiler for me, as my typing ability has gone south, since having the numbness of polyneuropathy. Takes me twice as long to type and correct errors as it did a year ago. I hate the sloppy errors, but they happen.. a lot!.

Currently trying to sync my Google accounts and work through the home networking.

Since my old machine has a 400gig drive, am going to try to install the Linux version of Plex, and use it for movie and music storage.

Maybe I just needed a little sympathy... like, imagine trying to teach your 80 year old mom, or aunt .... the simplicity of linux when they've been used to windows 8.1.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Maybe I just needed a little sympathy... like, imagine trying to teach your 80 year old mom, or aunt .... the simplicity of linux when they've been used to windows 8.1.
Unfortunately, I don't think Linux and simple quite mesh (unless you're talking about something like Chrome OS). Windows isn't simple either but if you're already used to the quirks, it works fine more or less.

I gave mom, dad and grandma iPads. I'm still working so I don't quite have the time to teach them the intricacies of Linux. Specially given I occasionally need guidance myself and the community's generally not particularly n00b-friendly.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think Linux and simple quite mesh (unless you're talking about something like Chrome OS). Windows isn't simple either but if you're already used to the quirks, it works fine more or less.

I gave mom, dad and grandma iPads. I'm still working so I don't quite have the time to teach them the intricacies of Linux. Specially given I occasionally need guidance myself and the community's generally not particularly n00b-friendly.
I think that what is confusing to a newby ( it was/is to me) about Linux is that there are so many different distributions and "flavors" available that it's overwhelming. Where do you start? It's as if every version of Windows, Mac as well as DOS and CPM for good measure were currently available from a multitude of vendors, each calling themselves Microsoft A, B, C etc.

And then there are the rabbit holes like the one Imoldernu went in by using the terminal mode to start out.

But it doesn't have to be that way. I guess I was lucky in that I started with a group (linux mint) that offers stable and well documented distributions as well as a friendly forum with useful information Linux Mint Forums • Index page

I have found some other Linux forums, such as Ubuntu's to be less friendly with some answers to newbys being of the sort "we already answered that - do a search" so you can have the pleasure of slogging thru hundreds of posts that may or may not be related to one's problem.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #44

A little late, but after poking around, I found Eli... who spoke to me.

...a starter guide to get over the first hump.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
But it doesn't have to be that way. I guess I was lucky in that I started with a group (linux mint) that offers stable and well documented distributions as well as a friendly forum with useful information Linux Mint Forums • Index page

I have found some other Linux forums, such as Ubuntu's to be less friendly with some answers to newbys being of the sort "we already answered that - do a search" so you can have the pleasure of slogging thru hundreds of posts that may or may not be related to one's problem.
Yeah, Linux Mint is the only distro I'd recommend for those new to Linux. It's fairly new, though. I started my foray into Linux in the 90s with Red Hat and Slackware. Ubuntu wasn't even an option back then much less Mint. Finding drivers used to be my biggest headache with Linux.

I have Mint installed on one of my Mini-ITX builds but alas, haven't had much time to tinker with it due to work. I like my work. I just wish I had more free time to devote to my hobbies.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #46

Quote:
Yeah, Linux Mint is the only distro I'd recommend for those new to Linux. It's fairly new, though. I started my foray into Linux in the 90s with Red Hat and Slackware. Ubuntu wasn't even an option back then much less Mint. Finding drivers used to be my biggest headache with Linux.

I have Mint installed on one of my Mini-ITX builds but alas, haven't had much time to tinker with it due to work. I like my work. I just wish I had more free time to devote to my hobbies.
That's why ER is so wonderful! Work interferes with life WAY too much!

I have found Linux Mint to be absolutely wonderful when it comes to drivers. Old printers, new printers different digital cameras etc, everything I've tried so far works right away without issues.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Thanks...
Am guessing y'all sensed my irritation at the "command" stuff... Now I see that there may be an easier way. Will try those "install" sites. Looks like Google Play type of installs. I may be able to handle that.

The idea of having to use typed commands is a spoiler for me, as my typing ability has gone south, since having the numbness of polyneuropathy. Takes me twice as long to type and correct errors as it did a year ago. I hate the sloppy errors, but they happen.. a lot!.
Helpful hint: Control-C to copy text, Shift-Control-V to paste text in the terminal window. (Using Ubuntu)
Also drag a file from the file browser to the terminal, the file path will be typed for you in the terminal.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #48

Quote:
That's why ER is so wonderful! Work interferes with life WAY too much!

I have found Linux Mint to be absolutely wonderful when it comes to drivers. Old printers, new printers different digital cameras etc, everything I've tried so far works right away without issues.
Yep, would love to FIRE. Alas, I'm still working on the FI part. Besides, I need to be able to fund my hobbies during retirement, somehow.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #49

Quote:
Yep, would love to FIRE. Alas, I'm still working on the FI part. Besides, I need to be able to fund my hobbies during retirement, somehow.
I hear you. LBYM and simple consistent/persisting investing with a defined AA that feels comfortable has worked for many, myself included. Best of luck
Old 09-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #50

Quote:
I hear you. LBYM and simple consistent/persisting investing with a defined AA that feels comfortable has worked for many, myself included. Best of luck
Thanks! Yeah, LBYM and consistent savings are what I'm doing although my savings rate is just at 15-25% (not counting pension contributions). I find that's a good balance of enjoying myself some now but hopefully still saving enough for future me to enjoy. I could likely go higher on the savings rate but I'll probably start feeling deprived which wouldn't be fun at all.

In fairness, I'm strictly on a 40-hour week schedule so no 60-hour workweeks for me unless it's due to overtime. I also get vacation and quite a number of holidays. However, with family obligations, it still doesn't feel like enough free time.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Helpful hint: Control-C to copy text, Shift-Control-V to paste text in the terminal window. (Using Ubuntu)
Also drag a file from the file browser to the terminal, the file path will be typed for you in the terminal.
Another option (my preference) is to use the Xserver clipboard. Highlight text as you normally do using the left mouse button. Then center click (using the mouse wheel) where you want the text. Fast and easy.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've tinkered a bit with Linux and now have Linux Mint installed on my laptop as my travel OS. Not out of necessity, but I thought that fun. I haven't left Win by any means though as I have Teamviewer for Linux installed on the laptop and can use that to connect to my Win Desktop at home.

I approach setting up Linux Mint on my laptop like a treasure hunt. I think it's fun using the package manager to hunt for applications that are similar to those on Win.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:43 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Lubuntu on an old HP Mini ( with an 8 GB SSD) I have as my daily driver. It was a bit of a challenge to set up last year, but once it is running, I have very little need to dive into the weeds and get confused. It just works so well with older hardware that you thought you would have to recycle. So, my message to newbies is to try it . There are ways to get it to run alongside Windows before you install it.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #54

I set up Mint on an older laptop. I have a Buffalo Linkstation that serves an my Network Attached Storage. I have a USB drive plugged into it and it backups the backup. This drive has to be XFS format. Windows will not read this, so I set up Mint. I have played with several distros, but have not used it recently. I was impressed with how easy it was to set up compared to the last time. Especially the network setup.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote