List of Best Cities to retire

I was surpised (and pleased) to see Northeast cities on the list. Some of my three season hiking buddies are now in their early and mid 70's, and they are diehard skiers in the fourth season, sneaking into the ski places after they close down for the year to get one more day in..... Being in my early 40's, I wonder where I'll be in my 70's: obsessed about the ice and snow on the sidewalk trying to get to the corner store, or racing down the mountain.....

Thanks for the list. It's a good one.

kate

Great! Charleston, SC made two of the lists...we don't have to move when we retire. :) Ski? What's that? On water? Oh, okay. :)

My city is number 3 on one of the lists. Must be the educated peoples and the good colleges (= good atmosphere).

From "Retire in Style--60 Outstanding Places Across the USA and Canada". (2005) Warren R. Bland

Highest, Victoria British Columbia. (52)

Second (tied), London Ontario :D, Boulder Colorado, Portland Oregon. (51) out of a possible 60.

Third, San Antonio Texas (50)

Fourth, Asheville NC, Austin TX, Boca Raton FL (49)

Fifth, Halifax Nova Scotia, Pittsburgh PA, Stratford ON, Madison Wisconsin, Chapel Hill NC, Fort Collins CO, Colorado Springs CO, (48)

Breakdown for London ON. :D
Landscape 3/5. Gently rolling Class 1 farmland. Carolinian Deciduous Vegetation Zone.

Climate 2/5. Humid Continental. Lake Huron Snowbelt. Hot humid summers. Cold cloudy winters. :'(

Quality of Life 5/5. We are the centre of the world! ;)

Cost of Living 5/5.

Transportation 5/5. 401 402 403 make the region a #1 pick for automobile industry.

Retail Services 5/5.

Health Care 5/5 World Class Hospitals, although there is a Doctor shortage.

Community Services 5/5

Cultural and Educational Activities 5/5. Excellent elementary and Secondary ED. University of Western ON, Fanshawe Community College.

Recreational Activities 4/5.

Work/Volunteer Activities 4/5

Crime Rates and Public Safety 3/5 Lots of B&E's and vehicle thefts. Relatively little violent crime.

Zipper,

The American cities make this list look like "The best liberal and/or college towns in the US and Canada".

Bellingham and Ashland both mentioned twice.

Both are college towns. One advantage of a college town are the community activities.

Yay - Bellingham is number 5 - I don't have to move, and more rich retirees will come and hire me to design their houses so I can retire sooner. :D

Sheryl said:
Yay -  Bellingham is number 5 -  I don't have to move, and more rich retirees will come and hire me to design their houses so I can retire sooner.   :D

Hey, you can front-run the herd and start designing a retirement community now!   Send the article to a builder or two.   :)

Sheryl said:
Yay -  Bellingham is number 5 -  I don't have to move, and more rich retirees will come and hire me to design their houses so I can retire sooner.   :D

Make sure they don't see the POSSUMs and SKUNKs under the porch! - Bad for closing real estate deals! :D

Humm.. on the west coast Oregon State (Corvallis) has the lowest home prices. I wonder where UC Davis would slot?

Thanks for the college list. I moved to Auburn, AL a couple of years ago. Housing is running about $110 sq/ft. But, Golf Digest recently rated Auburn #1 for golf.

Is there a list of cities with most affordable golf?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom