Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: list your peculiarities here
Old 05-16-2006, 10:44 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I think obsessive people are more likely to retire early.* *
And I agree with you!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2006, 10:51 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I turn down the radio when I need to concentrate while driving.

I started to post earlier that I eat one thing at a time (like REWahoo's friend), but I'm not as strict about that as I used to be and in fact often sample around a bit throughout the meal, However, french fries are usually eaten last unless I take them home then I eat them first before they get too cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
2. Being Anti-Bacterial means no deoderant needed with all those nasty chemicals. And I pit my pit smell against any deoderized chemical pit.
I sometimes use antibacterial soap, but even then I put on deoderant. I always smell just fine out of the shower...the deoderant is for later in the day. I don't usually do this, but sometimes I'll get a wet rag and wash off the deoderant at night if I'm alone or if it's bugging me.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Am I the only one who feels some of the posts are bordering on "too much information?"
Old 05-16-2006, 11:01 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I use Dove, with one-quarter cleansing cream; I have very sensitive skin...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:06 AM   #45

i got a little scared when this thread quickly moved from my kitchen table to your bathroom because i was so sure this would degenerate into a fetish string. no, that was not the door opening to that.

ya know rewahoo, i would have noticed these lower case letters eventually; i haven't even been er'd a year yet.

oap & justin, i'm just amazed you guys ever find your way out of your bathrooms.

ladelfina, i'd offer you a drink but i don't like going into bars during the day or, like you, movies. i can't do the indoor dark stuff because i feel like i'm being cheated of daylight. however, i've no compunction about sleeping until 2 in the afternoon. and while i don't eat hamburgers, i do time the consumption of my potato chips to match the duration of my tunafish sandwich.

i once had martha's food touching problem but so many years of thanksgiving dinners has made me tolerant of that.

unlike bigmoney, i turn the music up to concentrate on my driving; i feel like it makes me one with the car.

one other food item. i always leave something left. i've traced this back to my childhood when i was told to eat everything on my plate because there are people starving in biafra. but i cleverly figured out early on that this only meant i should leave some food for them. to this day, i have no idea how it gets there.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
oap & justin, i'm just amazed you guys ever find your way out of your bathrooms.
If I don't follow my little routines and subroutines, I'd probably get to work and realize I forgot to shave or brush my teeth or something.

Another reason to ER!
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #47

::::sneaks into justin's bathroom, replaces his washcloth with a left-handed one, stalks amused as justin's entire rest of the day is thrown off kilter:::::

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:23 AM   #48

Pizza is fine but I hate Shepards Pie, hamburger, corn and mashes potatoes should NEVER touch LOL.

I also have to admit I eat one thing at a time saving the best for last. I think it has something to do with my mother making me eat something I didn't like before I could have the good stuff.

Justin, my dh is the same way, if I interrupt his routine he always forgets to do something, like shave or brush his teeth, it ruins his whole day.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #49

This may or may not be a peculiarity.

I take a really long time to make a decision, and often hold out until I'm forced to make it. Once I do, however, I never second guess...
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Am I the only one who feels some of the posts are bordering on "too much information?"
Oooh, yeah.

It's hard to become passionate about personal hygiene when, every few days during your career, you've been:
- racked out at 3 AM by an emergency or some other wakeup,
- spent four hours standing around spiky-haired & grotty-eyed with a caffeine IV being dragged into three simultaneous discussions trying to fix the problems,
- grabbed a handful of food on the run because you had to go to work/on watch for the rest of the morning,
- spent the afternoon trying to sort out what happened last midwatch and hoping to avoid a recurrence,
- caught a glimpse of yourself in the bathroom mirror and swore that this week you'd really really shower before you crashed into bed, and this time you really mean it.

I was talking about raising a baby, but I suppose the same sequence of events would apply to the submarine force.

You guys all saw the way sanitation was handled on "1900 House" and "Frontier House", right? *Anyone feel their personal life expectancy has been extended by their current hygiene habits?!?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #51

LG4NB,
Yeah that whole thing about not leaving any food on your plate because children in biafra were starving.

I never got the connection. At the time I figured they could ship all the cauliflower, brocolli, and Brussel's sprouts to biafra and all would be happy.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
After the bidet rinse, then what? No toilet paper to dry off?
Just a little, but that's all. Without the butt-wash, I would use a lot more toilet paper trying to get clean, maybe even to the point of rubbing myself raw. Since you asked.

Bpp
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:05 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Hate it when someone leaves their pubes on the soap...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:06 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
Just a little, but that's all. Without the butt-wash, I would use a lot more toilet paper trying to get clean, maybe even to the point of rubbing myself raw. Since you asked.
Thanks for clarifying one of life's little mysteries for me! This whole bidet thing makes perfect sense now.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:30 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
Martha I was going to mention the "food not touching" thing, that drives me nuts too, I do not want my string beans (or run off juices) in my taters. I actually have a divided plate I use at home. I drive hubby nuts with some of my food peculiarities.
To me, the food tastes best when you can mix everything up (nothing like a big ol' serving of great mashed potatoes and gravy). In fact, if I really like the salad dressing (Italian works best here), I'll even finish off my salad, tip the salad plate over my dinner plate, and pour the remaining dressing into my mashed potatoes....before adding in whatever other vegetable remains are there.

MMMMmmmmmmmm......
Old 05-17-2006, 07:45 AM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mrs. Zipper and I, and most others our age always arrange $$$bills neatly in our wallets. I know.......a couple of fuss asses!

$50's, $20's, $10's, $5's, face up in that order. We don't have $2's or $1's in Canada, just loonies and toonies that mingle with the pocket change.

Our sons, and most in their generation just stuff bills in a wallet in random order face up or not.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:57 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter76
To me, the food tastes best when you can mix everything up (nothing like a big ol' serving of great mashed potatoes and gravy). In fact, if I really like the salad dressing (Italian works best here), I'll even finish off my salad, tip the salad plate over my dinner plate, and pour the remaining dressing into my mashed potatoes....before adding in whatever other vegetable remains are there.

MMMMmmmmmmmm......
Gross.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:21 AM   #58

I love mashed potatoes with gravy but the rest of it is like Martha said....Gross!!

Zipper my husband does that, I wouldn't mind but he'll stand in the store and adjust all his bills. I don't care that he has to have all the heads going the same way i just hate that he does it in public, I keep telling him that he's gonna get rolled for his wad of cash. He insists that it won't happen but I think he's just asking for trouble, while he may think he's 21 all the robbers will is is a gray haired ole man.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
I love mashed potatoes with gravy but the rest of it is like Martha said....Gross!! .
I still have hung on to my childhood habit of making a big resevoir with the mash - fill-up to the brim with the gravy and then having a dam break....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
Mrs. Zipper and I, and most others our age always arrange $$$bills neatly in our wallets. I know.......a couple of fuss asses!
In my younger years I used to organize them by face value & serial number.

Luckily raising a family empties my wallet quickly enough to render the latter unnecessary.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote