Join Early Retirement Today

Listening to that little internal voice...
Old 01-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The delivery guys called and said they were 15 minutes away; I was amazed because we were promised a 10-12 delivery window and they arrived at 10:10. I thought to myself can this really go smoothly? The Mrs had emptied the contents of the old refrigerator and I had turned the water off. She had also pulled the fridge forward and cleaned the exposed floor. Yeah I'm useless when she's on a mission. They asked us to lock the dog up "someone was bitten" so DW stayed with her so she didn't destroy the bedroom she was confined too. They helped me open our front double doors and the carefully hand trucked the old beast away. I noticed there was a good deal of grime on the 11 year old machine. We run a pretty tidy ship - I thought.

The new machine was unboxed and I was asked to inspect it in all its stainless steel glory (after all these years I sensed a very bad decision coming on my part- the little voice said "no Ray have her check it" but she was busy with the dog) It looked fine to these old eyes. The brought it into the kitchen, plugged it in and nothing happened. I thought to myself I knew it - here we go. A few minutes later the machine warmed up and it came on. They hooked up the water, I tipped them and they left. I immediately left for my Doctors appointment.

I returned a good two hours later to find the Mrs on the phone. "It's missing a shelf", "there's no manual" and the biggie "there's a scratch" (sweet Moses will I ever learn to listen to that voice). I'd swear that tiny dent wasn't there when I looked. Anyway she got $200 off and her missing shelf. The imperfection isn't visible when the fridge is in place so who cares. Will I ever Lear?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't get it. It sounds like the only voice that mattered was your wife's, on the phone. Everything worked out. So what would you have done differently...told them to take the refrigerator away?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Glad it all worked out, Rayinpenn. And, I hope that the two of you are enjoying your new stainless steel refrigerator!

It sounds expensive and would definitely be a major purchase and one of those big life events, for me and many others. Sounds like everything worked out fine and you got $200 for a nearly invisible scratch which is always nice. On the other hand, keep believing that your DW is all seeing and necessary for you to get full value for your dollar - - many of us women appreciate it when you guys keep believing that!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I don't get it. It sounds like the only voice that mattered was your wife's, on the phone. Everything worked out. So what would you have done differently...told them to take the refrigerator away?

Admittedly I got off easy but when she said "it is scratched" I thought OMG here we go -.I knew it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #5

Reminds me of the last refrigerator I bought. When it was delivered, the truck driver uncrated it and said "This has a dent; do you still want it?"

Me: "Really? Where?"

Him: "Right here. See it?"

Me: "Well, I guess so, but just barely."

Him: Our policy is you can either not accept it and try again, or take it and we'll give you $100 refund."

So I took it. The dent was on the side against the wall, so it was never visible to us anyway.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Reminds me of the last refrigerator I bought. When it was delivered, the truck driver uncrated it and said "This has a dent; do you still want it?"
I had a similar experience except he said "This has a dent; you don't want it."

He was right - the front looked like someone had kicked in the door. We had to wait a day, but got another one delivered.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I think that little voice is the fear and doubt.

It becomes louder if things don't work out. Otherwise it fades into nothing.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #8

The dents can work to one's advantage. When my father bought a new house before WWII his "down payment" was that he didn't take the refrigerator that was supposed to come with the house. The housing code required a refrigerator for an occupancy permit. He found one at a "scratch 'n dent" sale that had a dent on the side that was going up against a wall.

The house was already discounted because the County had not paved the access road so it was just dirt and the builder wanted to get rid of the house and move on.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I would have never noticed the missing shelf.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I would have never noticed the missing shelf.
You have to take the shelves out anyway in order to fit your keg in there.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Here's my refrigerator story.

DS and I went in our small pickup truck to pick it up so I wouldn't have to pay for sales tax and delivery. We ran a small errand before and as we went to pick it up I realized that I had forgot my straps. So, I'm figuring it weighs almost 400 lbs... it'll be fine. We get a couple miles down the interstate (in a rural area) and I hear a thump and look in my rearview mirror to see my new refrigerator sliding down the road at 50 mph.

I jam on the brakes and back up to it and DS and I scramble out and load it back in the bed and pull over to the side of the road and secure it (on its back this time rather than upright). All the way home (about 40 minutes) I'm chastising myself for being such an idiot and resigned to the fact that I'll probably need to buy another new refrigerator as a penalty for my stupidity.

So we get it home and in the house and alas... little damage... a couple of hardly noticeable dents along the bottom on the side and the plastic freezer bin is cracked... but it runs and works fine. I call Sears and tell them that when I got it home and opened the package that the freezer bin was cracked (which was totally true) and they send me a new one. They didn't ask if it fell of the truck and I didn't volunteer it.

Kudos to Samsung on their exceptional packaging.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

When my new washer and dryer were delivered they unhooked and hauled the old ones away and then brought in the new ones. The new washer had a huge dent in the side. I received money off after they gave me a number to call but I felt as though I had no choice at that point because my old washer was already outside.

Next time I'll be checking any new appliances at the truck first.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:55 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Wow. Next time I will be looking for dents. On a wall facing side I would take the cash without question. Like Ray, I would probably never notice it in the first place and wouldn't care in the long run. Different strokes for different folks - I don't care about small dents in my car either. Now a stain on a shirt or suit -- that is a serious matter.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:09 AM   #14

This must be very common because we've had this happen, too.

Sears called us on delivery day and said they inspected it when it was loaded and there was a scratch on the lower left side. If we would accept it they would refund an amount to be determined.

I knew that the lower left would sit against a cabinet and would not show but I wanted to see it so I let them deliver it. Yes there was a scratch, not bad at all and we would never see it. I called Sears when it was delivered and they offered a $120 refund which was fine with me. And I think the delivery and haul away charge was free in a price match.

We still have the refrigerator and it works great, I just hate that it's a top freezer model. A bottom freezer model was too tall for the space. This was not an issue until I got trifocal glasses and the bend over and try to focus distance for looking in the refrigerator section just doesn't work well.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

My SO and I recently purchased a new washer and dryer. The men installing it had a difficult job in a tough spot. I stayed out of the way. SO was helping the installation. At one point I can tell the end is near and the installation crew asks my SO to sign and verify all is well. I could immediately notice the hesitation in his voice. And before he finished answering the install guy says "my advice- you better get her into sign. It is almost always bad if you don't".

Ultimately they got me. I inspected. I signed even though the machine stuck out an inch too far as a result of the dryer vent not being pushed back due to the tight squeeze.

Clearly the installation people see this all the time! Still funny stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
prose3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #16

I have an off beat take on this. Be glad you are with someone who notices little stuff and speaks up. May come in handy if you end up in the Hospital or in Nursing care some day. Hope that day never comes for anyone here at ER-Org.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
.....I just hate that it's a top freezer model. A bottom freezer model was too tall for the space. This was not an issue until I got trifocal glasses and the bend over and try to focus distance for looking in the refrigerator section just doesn't work well.
Yes, we have a bottom freezer at home and our winter rental has a top freezer. I'm tired of bending over all the time. Definitely prefer the bottom freezer version.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I know that internal voice very well.... It's been getting louder as the years go by. Or maybe my hearing is improving.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote