Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not that this means a whole lot to most of us, but these numbers appear to be per person when you look at the results -- I am single and come up with 7.7 but if I just change the number of people in my household to 2, the result is cut in half. So, to get the per household impact, you would need to multiply by the number of people in the household.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Wanna lower the entire earth's carbon footprint? Stop cows from farting!
I haven't touched beef in 7 years. I'm doing my part!
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:23 PM   #23
Administrator

New Marketing angle? Note the third bullet point.
Attached Images
File Type: gif emissions.gif (11.5 KB, 56 views)
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Seems as if single people are using more than their fair share because the cost of electicity and oil only supports one person.

The most effective change I can make would be to get married.

At least my acura tsx is only a couple tons higher than the hybrids.
joesxm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
Not that this means a whole lot to most of us, but these numbers appear to be per person when you look at the results -- I am single and come up with 7.7 but if I just change the number of people in my household to 2, the result is cut in half. So, to get the per household impact, you would need to multiply by the number of people in the household.
That's because there's two of you consuming the same amount of resources then. Realistically, some of those numbers would go up if you had another person in the house.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #26

Maybe here is a good place to ask this....

We have been using CFL bulbs for years. Our city gives every household a CFL bulb twice a year and have been doing this since before it was popular, maybe the last 10-12 years. But they don't offer bulbs that can be used with dimmers. We have a couple of ceiling fans with lights on them and they are operated by remote controls. You can dim the lights with the remote. We never use the dimming feature, we just keep the lights on full power and turn them on and off.

I have checked all the local stores, which now carry plenty of CFLs and none of them carry bulbs that can be used in dimmers. All the bulbs say not to use in dimming fixtures. I tried regular CFLs in the ceiling fan lights, just to see what would happen and they flicker.

Has anyone here found CFLs that can be used in dimmers? Or can I do something to the ceiling fan light so that it's no longer a dimmer, just a regular on/off function?
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
I haven't touched beef in 7 years. I'm doing my part!
Me either! I always use a knife and fork.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:39 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Maybe here is a good place to ask this....

Has anyone here found CFLs that can be used in dimmers? Or can I do something to the ceiling fan light so that it's no longer a dimmer, just a regular on/off function?

Googling "CFL dimmer" got this hit from GE:

3. Can I use a compact fluorescent light bulb with a dimmer switch?
To use a compact fluorescent bulb on a dimmer switch, you must buy a bulb that's specifically made to work with dimmers (check the package). GE makes a dimming compact fluorescent light bulb (called the GE Longlife Plus Soft White Energy Saving Bulb) that is specially designed for use with dimming switches. We don't recommend using regular compact fluorescent bulbs with dimming switches, since this can shorten bulb life. (Using a regular compact fluorescent bulb with a dimmer will also nullify the bulb's warranty.)

I'd say to check your store every few months, or ask someone who works the lighting dept.

The problem I have with CFLs is that you only get savings if the lights are on for a long time. Except for the room I'm in, I tend to keep lights off. I have one room where a CFL works great. They flicker badly in the fixtures another room I tend to spend a lot of time in. They are two wall sconses that I suspect aren't getting full power for some reason. The other rooms I might flick on a light for 5 minutes and then turn it off. There is talk about making the traditional kind illegal to sell in a few years, but they make more sense in bathrooms, closets, stairways, hallways, and places like that.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #29

I want to see if anyone can beat me on the number of CFBs in the house. I went a little nuts on them the last few years when they got smaller - I now have 44 active ones and 2 dozen in the wings.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #30

about 3 short flights per year, for work - even as i work from home lowering output - the flights dissolve that credit pretty quickly!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:11 AM   #31

hm, maybe not that much it's 7.3 w/out the flights.

8.6 if i had a hummer ha ha
Old 07-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I'm at 4.7 tons/year. If I don't drive my car it drops to 0.45 tons/year.

Interestingly, I randomly changed the state at the very top of the form to a different one and left the rest of the entries the same. My footprint nearly doubled (to 8.25 tons/year). This test result makes no sense to me and makes the web form results suspect.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

U.S. comedian Chris Rock expressed the kind of disbelief shared by many on the day that Live Earth would make a lasting difference, even if he was only joking:
"I pray that this event ends global warming the same way that Live Aid ended world hunger," he said in London.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #34

I left "State" at the top blank since I live in Canada...don't know if that makes a difference or not.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #35

The results seem to be very sensitive to the state you select. For example, if you enter the same data for WV as for WA, the results for WV are nearly 3 times higher. Evidently, the calculator takes into account the fact that in WV, electricity is primarily produced by coal-fired plants, while in WA it's hydro. Also, you get varying results for miles driven in different states, so the calculator must take into account different gasoline emission standards in different states.

My conclusion is that it's just not possible to get average (or below) results in many states, no matter how "green-minded" you are.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfpelican View Post
U.S. comedian Chris Rock expressed the kind of disbelief shared by many on the day that Live Earth would make a lasting difference, even if he was only joking:
"I pray that this event ends global warming the same way that Live Aid ended world hunger," he said in London.
If the TV ratings are any indication - they were the in last place for the time period - Live Earth was a dud.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:59 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

7.3 which possibly overstates it since electricity in Hawaii is very expensive
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote