Join Early Retirement Today

Living in Baltimore?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Living in Baltimore?

Our daughter has accpeted a 2 year teaching assignment in Baltimore with Teach for America starting next fall. They have suggested 2 restored apartment buildings....The Union Mill in Hampden and Miller's Court in Charles Village. Can anyone tell us about either of these apartment specifically or in general something about these 2 neighborhoods? She doesn't know what school yet she will be teaching at but will also pursue an MA at Johns Hopkins during this time. Thanks for any input about these or other housing options in Baltimore or the Baltimore schools also.
MovingtotheCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2011, 06:28 AM   #2

One place start not commonly thought of is the local police station. They are very much in tune as to what's going on in a given area.

A good question to ask is "Would you live there?"

When I was considering buying the home I eventually bought I asked three officers about the street. I had to tell two of them what streets it was near, and being in law enforcement at the time I knew that was a good sign - it means nothing ever happens there.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I second Walt. I have done the same. Good advice, IMHO.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I grew up in the metro area, but lived in Hampden. Ms G and I both went to JHU. This was 30 years ago both areas are nice CV is mostly students, Hampden is a gentrified working class neighborhood. If I had to decide CV would be my 1st choice. Hampden does has Alonso's

Alonso's - North Baltimore - Baltimore | Urbanspoon

Best Neighborhood bar around.
grasshopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I would advise that you look into the Camden area also. My wife used to live there and loved it. It is near the harbor and there are lots of fun places to eat and drink in walking distance.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote