Join Early Retirement Today

living in New York City
Old 04-07-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

living in New York City

40 years ago I lived in Brooklin in the navy yard. subway was 75 cents. I know things have changed now. we will be spending our anniversary in july in NY, staying at the Navy Lodge in Staten Island. we plan to use public transportation, and walking. any advice of things to google to help plan this?

kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2019, 08:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
40 years ago I lived in Brooklin in the navy yard. subway was 75 cents. I know things have changed now. we will be spending our anniversary in july in NY, staying at the Navy Lodge in Staten Island. we plan to use public transportation, and walking. any advice of things to google to help plan this?
When I was a kid, the subway was 15 cents!

Navy Lodge is a good place to stay, but you still have to contend with the bridge (expensive toll) or the ferry in order to get anywhere.

Another good option is Fort Hamilton, at the Brooklyn end of the bridge. They have a Holiday Inn Express on the post and it's just a five or ten minute walk to the nearest subway station if you want to leave the car there (advised).

Have a great time! The city is nothing at all like it used to be.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I only went there twice in my life last year as there is a cruise port there. Both times I was amazed at the traffic jams, it seems that walking is the best option.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I only went there twice in my life last year as there is a cruise port there. Both times I was amazed at the traffic jams, it seems that walking is the best option.
You don't see any 350#+ people in NYC.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

While living in CT for a few years (moved about 15 months ago), we visited NYC several times. We walked almost everywhere once we got off the train at Grand Central. There is so much to do and you did not suggest your interests so tough to make suggestions. Here is what we (DW) liked to do:

1/2 price theater tickets
Tour of Grand Central was very interesting
Large and more hidden art museums
Museum Comic and & Cartoon art (I was surprised how much I enjoyed it)
Tenement museum tour
Central Park & High-Line to enjoy the walk
Apollo Theater
Brewery tour
Baseball game - Mets or Yanks
Any ethnic restaurant you want
and more

Hope this helps.
davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #6

I lived in NYC for 20 years and moved away last year. If I am not mistaken, the Staten Island ferry fare is FREE so you should consider using the ferry to get into lower Manhattan and then take the subway from there to wherever you want to go from there. You can buy a day pass, weekly pass, etc. Donít fuss with driving, parking, etc. Cabs and Uber are expensive but you could use them in a pinch.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #7

google maps is very good for navigation in the city, whether on foot or using public transportation.

There is no single day pass for the subway, the cheapest you can get is a 7-day pass for $32, which saves you money when you get to 12 rides ($2.75/single ride) - so it may or may not be worth your while. Also, you'd have to get a pass for each person in your party - can't share the unlimited rides. If you won't take at least 12 rides, then it's easier to just get a single Metrocard, then add enough money for what you suspect you'll use between everyone in your party (you can always add more later if necessary). You can use the single Metrocard for everyone in your party. When you put money on the card, you get a 5% discount when adding at least $5.50. Also, there is a $1 fee for each new Metrocard. Generally, you'll find a lot of discarded Metrocards near the vending machines - pick one of them up and use it instead of paying the extra fee for a new one. Check the expiration date on the back that it is still good to use. You may even get lucky and pick one up which still has some money on it.

Also, keep in mind - when you take a subway ride, you can then transfer to a bus for no additional charge, it counts as part of the same ride.

https://new.mta.info/fares-and-tolls...es-at-a-glance - it indicates reduced fare for seniors, but to do that you have to either mail in an application or apply in person. Not really something you'd do for a vacation.

https://new.mta.info/fares-and-tolls...fare-metrocard
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
While living in CT for a few years (moved about 15 months ago), we visited NYC several times. We walked almost everywhere once we got off the train at Grand Central. There is so much to do and you did not suggest your interests so tough to make suggestions. Here is what we (DW) liked to do:

1/2 price theater tickets
Tour of Grand Central was very interesting
Large and more hidden art museums
Museum Comic and & Cartoon art (I was surprised how much I enjoyed it)
Tenement museum tour
Central Park & High-Line to enjoy the walk
Apollo Theater
Brewery tour
Baseball game - Mets or Yanks
Any ethnic restaurant you want
and more

Hope this helps.
Last week, I met up with a buddy of mine and we went to the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum and it was great.

Buy your tickets online ahead of time, and use promo code NJTRANSIT19 for one free (buy one get one) admission - that's a $33 savings ($31 for Senior Admission). Buying the tickets online also lets you skip the lines and walk right in.

As far as half price theater tickets, if you want to do the tourist thing, and go to Times Square and wait in line at TKTS for an hour or more to get leftovers for that day, only finding out what you'll see at the last minute knock yourself out. We now almost always use todaytix.com and telechargeoffers.com - using these, you can pick what show you want to see ahead of time.

If considering TKTS, using the South Street Seaport location is much less crowded - if you're taking the Staten Island Ferry over, then you can walk there.
https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-booths

For museums, if you are a Bank of America customer with debit or credit card, the first full weekend of every month free admission is offered at a number of museums throughout the city - including the Intrepid:
https://about.bankofamerica.com/en-u.../partners.html
Old 04-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
I lived in NYC for 20 years and moved away last year. If I am not mistaken, the Staten Island ferry fare is FREE so you should consider using the ferry to get into lower Manhattan and then take the subway from there to wherever you want to go from there. You can buy a day pass, weekly pass, etc. Donít fuss with driving, parking, etc. Cabs and Uber are expensive but you could use them in a pinch.
Yes, the ferry is still free! Lived in Manhattan about 20 years also and another 30 years on L.I.

Visited last year and stayed near the ferry and just went back and forth (Kids love it). If you can't walk to it their are buses and parking lots nearby. about three blocks directly up the hill from the ferry there is a lot and I think it is about $20.00 for the day.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

There's an app for that! It's called Citymapper. There is also a website: https://citymapper.com/nyc

You enter your starting point (you can let it access your current location) and destination. It recognizes street address as well as landmarks like Grand Central. Citymapper will provide transit options, including Uber. It will give very detailed instructions, times, costs and maps. It will even suggest which subway car to ride in to be closest to the nearest exit.

I live in NYC and use it all the time. Highly recommended.
Likes_to_Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
If you can't walk to it their are buses and parking lots nearby. about three blocks directly up the hill from the ferry there is a lot and I think it is about $20.00 for the day.
$8 for 24 hours:

https://www.parkwhiz.com/p/staten-is...&venue_id=3916

You have to reserve through the ParkWhiz app or website to get that rate. It may well be $20 if you just drive up without having reserved/paid in advance. ParkWhiz is great - you can buy ahead of time and can cancel anytime before the start time you indicated on the reservation for full refund.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Fresh out of college I was transferred to NYC in '72 for 18 months - downtown Manhattan. As someone from the South (Texas) it was an eye-opener for me. I had never seen anything like it. Rode a subway for the first time, Cops with funny hats who were pretty cool, Staten Island Ferry, Statue of Liberty, Spanish Harlem, Central Park, Greenwich Village, Theater district, Amazing museums, and on and on. I didn't like it at all at first but when it was time to leave, I wanted to stay. Great people, great city, anything you could ever want to see or do - NYC has it.

I went back several times during my work life but it was never the same. Mostly a day or two for meetings, etc. Not like having the time to actually explore and get to know people.

Have a great time - NYC is like no other place.
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:10 PM   #13

There are hop on hop off buses, including one that includes a Hudson River cruise.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is this living in NYC, or just visiting? Confusing title.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #15

1) Yes, the Staten Island Ferry is free, and gives a decent view of the Statue of Liberty.
2) An alternative to staying in Manhattan is to stay in Newark. Yes, it doesn't sound good but it is a quick NJ Transit or by PATH train, and the hotels are much much cheaper.
3) Another alternative is to stay on the West Side of the Hudson in Hoboken or Weehawken. For example, there is a Residence Inn just about next door to the NY Waterway ferry, which is a great (summer time) way to get in and out of the city.

I'm just mentioning these as people don't tend to think about them in terms of hotel choices. In good weather, it is quite nice on the river front looking at Manhattan.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
$8 for 24 hours:

https://www.parkwhiz.com/p/staten-is...&venue_id=3916

You have to reserve through the ParkWhiz app or website to get that rate. It may well be $20 if you just drive up without having reserved/paid in advance. ParkWhiz is great - you can buy ahead of time and can cancel anytime before the start time you indicated on the reservation for full refund.
If it's the one right next to the Courthouse, it's $8 even for a drive up - but it may be full between 9:00 - 10:30. There is another parking lot past the ferry, maybe a mile and a half. There are signs. It has a shuttle bus going back and forth to and from the ferry. (Went there one day when the one next to the Courthouse was full.)

Make a list of the things you want to do, i.e., the Museum of Natural History, Central Park, the Empire State Building, a play, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and plan a potential itinerary. Google each place individually, there may be some days when you can get a better rate, for example the Bronx Zoo is free on Wednesdays (a donation is suggested).

MTA trip planner can tell you how to get there with public transportation.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:14 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all of the advice!
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:46 AM   #18

1)The Freedom Tower and 911 Memorial and Museum are awesome. Buy tickets for the Freedom Tower online and then show up ON TIME. The tickets are for a specific time and if you miss your time, you are out of luck, but very much worth it.
2)Brooklyn and/or Williamsburg Bridge. Dumbo.
3)Little Italy
4)China Town and Dim Sum.
5) Bronx Zoo
6) MOMA
7) Top of the Rock for drinks at sunset.
8) Marriott rotating bar at the top of the hotel in Times Square
Start spreadin' the news
Old 04-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #19

Start spreadin' the news

The last time I visited I stayed in a hotel a block from Broadway, so I could walk everywhere I wanted to go.

But they had a very curious alternative to walking: a multi-person bicycle taxi which seated 6 or 8 people including a driver. All the passengers pedaled in unison to propel it. Manhattan is mostly flat, so with a half-dozen people pumping that taxi could fly. I don't know what they called it, or if it's still there, but it looked like a ton of fun.

Sardi's, a famous restaurant in the theater district, is worth going to during show times (it's insanely crowded just before and just after). It features a century's worth of caricature portraits of hundreds of celebrities who've dined there: Jack Dempsey, Elizabeth Taylor, Lucille Ball, Ed Sullivan, plus a bunch of current celebs I've never heard of. Expensive by Shire standards, but not at all outrageous for the Big Apple.

Funny thing; I lived just outside NYC for several years back in the 80's, and went into the city almost never. DW preferred going to the beach in Jersey.