Join Early Retirement Today

Living wills
Old 03-27-2005, 06:19 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Living wills

With all the controversy we are seeing in Florida at this time,

How do you feel about Living Wills?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Living wills
Old 03-27-2005, 06:45 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My version was done by Smith and Wesson. It protects
me now and will protect me from a Terry Schaivo type
situation, if my trigger finger still works
(and I can remember where I keep the ammo)

Seriously, we don't have one, but I think
it's a real good idea.

JG

Old 03-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a health care directive and a power of attorney for health care. *While some think the POA is best I am not sold, as I age so will the person I name. *The advance directive for health care sets out what I value and the extent to which I want my life maintained. *For example, although I doubtless won't know the difference, I want water but not food. *Don't keep me alive otherwise except to maintain my organs for donation.

I once found an internet site with free forms for each state. *IMHO this should be a free public service.

MRGALT2U- Many don't know that self inflicted gun shot wounds to the head are common in elderly widdowed frail men. *You are going to have to do the job at home, many care facilities prohibit guns.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:40 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I noticed a few years ago that my HMO not only provided all of the legal forms related to health care such as a living will, medical power of attorney and health care directives...and would provide assistance for you to fill it out at no additional charge.

Probably a good move for them...spend a few dollars up front and a lot less later when nobody knows what to do with you while you're hooked up to a 100k worth of machines.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:37 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

My daughter who lives in my same town would be given my healthcare power of attorney. I have made no directives. Having been thru this a couple of times myself, I believe this is best since situations can be so different. Most importantly, she pretty much shares my outlook on such things in general, so I figure it is better not to tie things up too much.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
MRGALT2U- Many don't know that self inflicted gun shot wounds to the head are common in elderly widdowed frail men. *You are going to have to do the job at home, many care facilities prohibit guns.
His spouse and mine have both purchased us a new 9mm "Gonzo" home healthcare policy from Hunter S. Thompson's company.

Just make sure you practice spelling backwards, John...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:49 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Schiavo case made us actually sit down and execute the necessary documents.

Each state is a little different. The main point is that there should be a declaration setting forth, if you cannot make you position known, the type of care that you want (i.e. full extraordinary means ....no medical devices, but full food and water...no extraordinary means, let me die, etc.) and under what circumstances the directive should be employed (i.e. comatose, incurable disease, etc.). In addition, there should be the appointment of a person to carry out that directive.

Unless this is a well drafted document, the health care providers may have difficulty in following the directive and instruction, and if the matter gets into the Courts, it is very important that the document be State specific and follow the mandates of each State.

The documents shouldn't cost more that $100-150. Get a lawyer who works in the estates area.

uncledrz

Old 03-28-2005, 01:55 AM   #8

After spending so many years making sure that the older generations in our family had their Healthcare Proxies and Do Not Resusitate (DNR) paperwork routinely updated...now its our turn. :-/

BUM
Old 03-28-2005, 04:52 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

A site that I find reliable for free legal forms and information is www.findlaw.com.

Martha

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 03:04 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
A site that I find reliable for free legal forms and information is www.findlaw.com. *

Martha
I understand that documents drawn up by attorneys have been questioned or not honored by hospitals.

Do you think the forms on this website would suffice?
Old 03-28-2005, 03:07 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yep thats true. Sometimes the hospitals ignore the docs or someone elects to fight them. Even when you've clearly documented your wishes, sometimes someone decides they know better or that you really didnt want it that way.

My wife works at the local hospital. She tells me most of the nurses and doctors have no idea who has DNR's or other legal documents in place around their care and dont have time to check when they come on shift. They regularly resuscitate people with DNR's.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:51 PM   #12

Quote:
They regularly resuscitate people with DNR's.
Bad very bad. So what happens then? Resus notes go onto a chart with a DNR inside? Isn't that a lawsuit gimmie?

BUM
Old 03-28-2005, 05:09 PM   #13

Getting back to the "Smith and Wesson" option, obviously this would have to be done somewhere
outside of a "facility".
Also, as in hunting, it's important to "use enough gun".

You do it in the garage, it's just a little soap and water.
You go with a small caliber weapon and you can leave
a real mess for everyone.

JG
Old 03-28-2005, 05:47 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Bad very bad. So what happens then? Resus notes go onto a chart with a DNR inside? Isn't that a lawsuit gimmie?

BUM
You know, I dont know what happens, if anything. I do know that if I had a DNR and they brought me back, my care from then on would be at the hospitals expense, not mine.

She said if someone 'codes', the nurse on duty will usually just start working on the patient without looking at any paperwork. Once they've started resuscitation, I guess they dont stop to read up.

She says some doctors and nurses will also ignore a DNR if they dont 'believe in it'.

Probably hard to press a lawsuit for saving someones life cuz you didnt want them to...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:57 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I understand that documents drawn up by attorneys have been questioned or not honored by hospitals.
I'm sure it depends on the circumstances and on the hospital. When the end came for my wife, the local hospital (Stanford) honored the wishes laid out in her living will without question.

Peter
Old 03-28-2005, 07:52 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

The confusion around a DNR usually starts with an unexpected trip to the hospital or unexpected outcome in a routine procedure. The KEY decision is whether or not to go to a hospital in the first place. Often hospital staff don't have enough information to determine whether or not a DNR is appropriate under those specific circumstances so they error on the side of preserving life. If you are close to life's end, and you know in advance, line up comfort care (hospice services) at home, get yourself discharged, and DON'T CALL 911!

There is a story behind my comment about guns in a long term care facility as told to me by an administrator. One of the male residents was a hunter who insisted in having his gun. Somewere during his residency he got ammo. He had a touch of demensia, as do many in such a facility. One of the other residents got on his nerves and he shot him. Picture the situation of his family, he needed care they couldn't provide and would only move if he could take his gun. You can't force anyone into a LTC facility without a court order. They took a shortcut and Pops committed murder. To this day I am not sold on 'community placement' for many of our mentally ill, whatever the cause.