Living without a smartphone

How do you non-smartphone folks call for Uber or equivalent if needed?

I have never used Uber or any similar service. I’ve used taxis in other countries. If I’m in my hometown, I can get anywhere I need to go by walking, biking, or by car. I walk and bike a lot more than most people.

Plus:
Camera to take pictures that you encounter while on the go
Music to play while traveling
Kindle reader when on public transit or waiting for your doctor's appointment
Having a record of drugs taken in case asked
Being responsive to time-sensitive emails/texts*
Assist in shopping such a price checks, quality comparisons, etc.

* this seems to be the only one that consumes young people

I am sure there are others.

What do you use to keep record of drugs taken?

As for price shopping while at a store, its called "show rooming." Brick and mortar is endangered.

+1
Being able to pull up car insurance information if needed.

Ability to send documents to a printer easily.

Ability to check security cameras remotely.

Ability to unlock house or car doors.

Ability to locate car in larger parking lot.

Ability to warm up car by starting it in the winter.

Ability to open garage doors remotely.

Able to find other family member’s misplaced phone.

Apple Pay

Ability to dictate notes.

Easy access to addresses and phone numbers of contacts.

Walking directions along with driving directions.

Easy searching for nearby restaurants, gas stations and stores.

Appointment reminders

Notifications of package deliveries.

Always have a calculator or currency converter available.

I’m sure there is still much more that hasn’t been mentioned.

How do you store car insurance info on the phone? Is there an app. for that? ;)

Which car and app. for locking doors, starting cars?

I have a smart door lock but rarely use that door. It was mostly for fun.

I also considered getting a Wifi bridge for my garage door opener so I could use the app. But really, its much simpler to reach for the clicker on my visor. The main advantage is you can check to see if the door is open when you're away from home, as well as open it to let some friend or relative in. But I don't know how secure the app. from the garage door opener company is.

Last edited:
What do you use to keep record of drugs taken?

As for price shopping while at a store, its called "show rooming." Brick and mortar is endangered.

How do you store car insurance info on the phone? Is there an app. for that? ;)

Which car and app. for locking doors, starting cars?

I have a smart door lock but rarely use that door. It was mostly for fun.

I also considered getting a Wifi bridge for my garage door opener so I could use the app. But really, its much simpler to reach for the clicker on my visor. The main advantage is you can check to see if the door is open when you're away from home, as well as open it to let some friend or relative in. But I don't know how secure the app. from the garage door opener company is.

USAA’s app allows you to quickly access your insurance cards if stopped by police, in an accident, or for whatever you need that or any insurance, banking or documents you might need.

Our Subaru and Lexus both have apps for unlocking, finding or starting the car ( Lexus only). My son installed a remote car starter for his car allowing him to start it.

Our door locks are great for setting codes so you know who and when the person you’ve created a code for goes in.

The garage door opener is as secure as your home WiFi network.

I think most users really don’t know all the features accessible on their phones. I have to remind myself that I have a camera with me pretty much all the time. I take pictures of all my membership cards like insurance, BJs and AARP. I can even get AARP discounts by having the photo scanned. I just started using Apple Pay a few weeks ago after having the phone almost 4 yrs.

I have never used Uber or any similar service. I’ve used taxis in other countries. If I’m in my hometown, I can get anywhere I need to go by walking, biking, or by car. I walk and bike a lot more than most people.
I often use local transit when at home because time is available. I read on the bus (Smartphone Kindle). But Google tells me what buses to take to new destinations. Easy peasy. In fact, I seldom use my device as a phone. Too many other transit riders eaves dropping. Will text if something is urgent.

Ability to have AAA member card on an app
Ability to have Kroger Plus Card
Ability to start/stop my Roomba remotely
Ability to have a Roku remote handy
Ability to access TV Guide
Ability to watch my Tablo/Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu
Ability to access documents in my Dropbox
Ability to access all my hotel membership numbers
Ability to access all my airline Frequent Flyer numbers
Ability to access GoodRx prices
Ability to adjust my thermostat remotely
Ability to access my shopping list
Ability to order Uber Eats/Door Dash/Grub Hub/etc when traveling
Ability to set a timer or an alarm (can't trust hotel clocks)
Ability to access my passwords in my password manager

In recent trips to Vietnam and Bali, I learned that a lot of local taxis can't be trusted, especially them not running meters and coming up with fares out of their ass.

Basically how much they think they can get from you.

Car sharing services have tried to operate in these markets. Worked out great for Vietnam but in Bali, the local taxi mafia will try to intimidate drivers of Grab, which is the ride sharing app. for most of Asia.

+1
Being able to pull up car insurance information if needed.

Ability to send documents to a printer easily.

Ability to check security cameras remotely.

Ability to unlock house or car doors.

Ability to locate car in larger parking lot.

Ability to warm up car by starting it in the winter.

Ability to open garage doors remotely.

Able to find other family member’s misplaced phone.

Apple Pay

Ability to dictate notes.

Easy access to addresses and phone numbers of contacts.

Walking directions along with driving directions.

Easy searching for nearby restaurants, gas stations and stores.

Appointment reminders

Notifications of package deliveries.

Always have a calculator or currency converter available.

I’m sure there is still much more that hasn’t been mentioned.
Not only driving and walking directions but public transport as well. Invaluable when I'm traveling in a strange city that I can immediately know what train/bus to take to get to another strange city, or just back to the hotel...as well as walking directions to the train station or bus stop.

I really depend on the "supplemental memory" feature, otherwise known as the set-a-reminder feature on the calandar app. Never forget an appointment, bill payment, birthday, filter change...or when to take the garbage to the street.
+1

My calendar is full of these too.

" Ok Google, remind me tomorrow at 8am to take out the trash"

Two good things about smart phones where we live.

First is they have been used to film/record hate crimes that have would otherwise might not have resulted in charges/convictions

Second is they have been used on numerous occasions to provide factual backup in law enforcement situations at times when the 'recollections' and 'testimony' of those involved has been at variance with the facts.

My brother is hanging on tightly to his flip phone. My whole family communicates via texting now. We don't even bother sending them to him.

You might think he wants it that way, but he and his wife have whined about not being in the loop with what is going on regarding family matters. I don't feel like it is my job to relay information to the dinosaur guy. If I happen to talk to him, I will fill him in.

RE: Robo calls. I never answer a call that isn't coming from someone in my contact list. This basically sifts out all of these calls. If it is something important, they will leave a message.

RE: Contact lists. Mine are all on Google. If I lose my phone, I just go get another one, and log into Google. I had a flip phone previously, and the guy told me that I would have to manually enter all my contacts. That was the point that drove me over the edge to get my first smart phone.

RE: Costs. I don't understand why everyone is paying $300 to $500 for an Apple I-phone with an expensive monthly contract too. You can buy very nice Samsung Android based phones for $50, and there are many services offered without contracts for $30/month.

Note: I also eliminated the high cost land line, so I'm basically paying less for the smartphone than a landline. Brother saving money with no smart phone still has a land line.

RE: Smart phones in cars.

My new car uses Android Auto, and it just communicates with the phone for Google Maps, hands free phone calls, and I can listen to my whole CD collection that is saved on my smart phone.

Traveling. Just using it to find restaurants or hotels or anything nearby is amazing. Found a really nice small town cafe on my last trip. Great food. Would have driven right by it if I didn't have the phone. I checked into my plane within 24 yours, and selected an exit seat, so I could have some decent leg room. Awesome.

Everyone gets to make their own choices, but this is one amazing tech tool. There is a reason most people have one. It isn't just to be up to date.

Take care, JP

We use iPhone almost exclusively for google map directions, despite having a big fancy GPS screen in our SUV. If we become too lazy to type location in the app, we can fall back and say "Siri, directions to nearest #######. We even used google map for biking around Nova Scotia last month. So useful!

Not only driving and walking directions but public transport as well. Invaluable when I'm traveling in a strange city that I can immediately know what train/bus to take to get to another strange city, or just back to the hotel...as well as walking directions to the train station or bus stop.
We use this heavily in Europe for public transportation and it can be incredibly detailed and helpful. In the Netherlands, particularly Amsterdam and Holland, it's incredibly complete - of course their source is also uniform and complete.

Exact times, bus stops and locations, intermediate stops. Top notch routing. It was very easy for me to decide when was the best time of day to transfer using buses or trains. To see how often trains run, etc.

Heck, in Amsterdam (an other parts of Holland) Google even has bicycle routing! And it's very good. We have also used this heavily. The only problem is I can't watch my phone while cycling, and I usually can't hear the prompts.

Last edited:
If/when I ever travel internationally again, i would tend to agree that a smartphone may be useful. Although, i also do not understand why some think one cannot text on a flip phone. I text all the time on mine. Also have no problem receiving photos friends and family take of their artwork and then send out to just about everyone on their contact lists. Also have had no problem having my service provider transfer contact lists using my old phone's sim card when I get a new flip (granted last time was 12 yrs ago, but if they could do that then, I assume they still can ). perhaps, as with smartphones, there are differences among flip phones in terms of capabilities? And I just got a "good" one as far as that goes.

I'm not particularly against smartphones. Its mainly just durability issues and the cost. Seems like one's monthly cost at least doubles when moving from a flip to a smartphone.

If/when I ever travel internationally again, i would tend to agree that a smartphone may be useful. Although, i also do not understand why some think one cannot text on a flip phone. I text all the time on mine. Also have no problem receiving photos friends and family take of their artwork and then send out to just about everyone on their contact lists. Also have had no problem having my service provider transfer contact lists using my old phone's sim card when I get a new flip (granted last time was 12 yrs ago, but if they could do that then, I assume they still can ). perhaps, as with smartphones, there are differences among flip phones in terms of capabilities? And I just got a "good" one as far as that goes.

I'm not particularly against smartphones. Its mainly just durability issues and the cost. Seems like one's monthly cost at least doubles when moving from a flip to a smartphone.
Many people now are using Whatsapp for texting since it can include groups, and is free for international texts etc. Also free video calling with perfect video. I hardly use the texting feature on my phone anymore.

I agree that would have no problem seeing a photo etc, or transferring contacts across, but in the latter case with Google it's automatic. And the definition of "no problem" is nebulous for all of us. I have no problem watching a movie on a 19in Tube TV that i had in the 90s, but I *really* have no problem and enjoy it much more on a 60in LED screen.

With a flip phone you have a phone with a couple of things on the side. With a smart phone you have a full fledged computer with a phone on the side. It's really nothing to do with the phone part.

My flip-phone is small enough to fit easily in a shirt pocket. Though to be honest I do not find that comfortable, I have a holster on my belt where I carry my flip-phone.

My wife used to use a smart-phone, it was much larger and would never fit in a belt holster.

A part of my objection to carrying a smart-phone is that I do not want anything in my hands 24/7.

In the past, I have made the mistake of slipping a flip-phone in my hip pocket. The first time I sat down, that ended the phone.

The solution for me has been to carry a flip-phone on my hip in a belt holster. I am not sure how I would carry a much larger smart-phone.

I use my iPhone mostly for the camera and music. Phoning someone is probably 1% of its use. And I use a lot of the apps mentioned by others. And some awesome hiking/navigation apps that have helped me out when I've become disoriented.

Many people now are using Whatsapp for texting since it can include groups, and is free for international texts etc. Also free video calling with perfect video. I hardly use the texting feature on my phone anymore.

I agree that would have no problem seeing a photo etc, or transferring contacts across, but in the latter case with Google it's automatic. And the definition of "no problem" is nebulous for all of us. I have no problem watching a movie on a 19in Tube TV that i had in the 90s, but I *really* have no problem and enjoy it much more on a 60in LED screen.

With a flip phone you have a phone with a couple of things on the side. With a smart phone you have a full fledged computer with a phone on the side. It's really nothing to do with the phone part.

To clarify, and thanks for letting me know I needed to do so, I used the phrase "no problem" because another poster, who was then supported by yet others, had indicated that one could not do those things at all using a flip phone. Sorry if that was offensive.

I do think you hit the nail on the head with your comment that a smartphone is more a computer with phone on the side.I just do not yet feel the need to have such a thing nor want to spend the money for that just yet even though i can easily afford to do so. Many do obviously and have made therefore extensive lists of the benefits of doing so.

Two good things about smart phones where we live.

First is they have been used to film/record hate crimes that have would otherwise might not have resulted in charges/convictions

Second is they have been used on numerous occasions to provide factual backup in law enforcement situations at times when the 'recollections' and 'testimony' of those involved has been at variance with the facts.
Yes especially taking pictures at the time of any fender bender.

I bought my current iPhone 4S of craigslist for C$100 5 years ago. My plan is C$100 a year with automatic refill from CC. I spend about C$150 a year during my 7 months north.

Telcel offers inexpensive paygo service too.

Remember those bumper stickers that said "My other car is a Porsche"? Well DW has an 8 Plus with a full plan. We use that when travelling. But we can text each other if we get separated. Or even call!

Last edited:
No smartphone here but we do have an iPad. We travel with our iPad and use it like a smartphone ( the Verizon wireless service for the iPad is only $20 per month). We like the maps, apps, watching videos, reading books, etc on our iPad so much better than a smartphone. We can use the iPad for Uber, etc. We can also text from the iPad, so much easier for our old eyes to type on the iPad.

If you need to use Uber and don't have a smartphone or an iPad you can call GOGOGrandparents and they will arrange Uber for you for a small fee.

My flip-phone is small enough to fit easily in a shirt pocket. Though to be honest I do not find that comfortable, I have a holster on my belt where I carry my flip-phone.

My wife used to use a smart-phone, it was much larger and would never fit in a belt holster.

A part of my objection to carrying a smart-phone is that I do not want anything in my hands 24/7.

In the past, I have made the mistake of slipping a flip-phone in my hip pocket. The first time I sat down, that ended the phone.

The solution for me has been to carry a flip-phone on my hip in a belt holster. I am not sure how I would carry a much larger smart-phone.

There are belt holsters for smart phones. They hold the phone sideways. Very popular too!

No smartphone here but we do have an iPad. We travel with our iPad and use it like a smartphone ( the Verizon wireless service for the iPad is only $20 per month). We like the maps, apps, watching videos, reading books, etc on our iPad so much better than a smartphone. We can use the iPad for Uber, etc. We can also text from the iPad, so much easier for our old eyes to type on the iPad.

If you need to use Uber and don't have a smartphone or an iPad you can call GOGOGrandparents and they will arrange Uber for you for a small fee.

How do you call people using your IPad? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom