Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Local Color
Old 04-07-2007, 07:55 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Yep - I live in brentwood. It was bone dry before the fire started. It rained a lot the next day or two after the fire because I remember being concerned about runoff from the burnt houses running into my lake with who knows what kind of heavy metals and other contaminants that were melted/vaporized during the fire and left in the ashes.
Now that is funny my wife grew up in Brentwood in the 60s!

Went to the elementary school there.

Small world, we were there last week walking around. I should ask her what street the house was on. It is in great condition. Whoever owns it now has added a real nice addition and has taken care of the house. The place must be pushing 60 years old. She also showed me the old swim club that they went to. I am starting to get my southern wings now. It feels good, but man its cold today !
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Now that is funny my wife grew up in Brentwood in the 60s!

Went to the elementary school there.

Small world, we were there last week walking around. I should ask her what street the house was on. It is in great condition. Whoever owns it now has added a real nice addition and has taken care of the house. The place must be pushing 60 years old. She also showed me the old swim club that they went to. I am starting to get my southern wings now. It feels good, but man its cold today !
Small world, huh? PM me and let me know which house/street it is! It's still pretty nice walking around the neighborhood. All the dogwoods, azaleas and cherry trees are in bloom right now. This is the best time of the year.

I grew up here for a while when I was very young. My bro went to the elementary school here, too. Then I moved back a few years ago. Not the nicest neighborhood in town, but a great value for what I paid.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

12 year old, admits to placing fecal material, in peas, at the local school cafeteria.
(pictures are unavailable)

No one has reported being sick but, peas are no longer on the menu.
Sundance Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I was outside Blaisdell Arena yesterday (the state's high school science fair, an amazing event for another post) and read a plaque outside the building.

It was a list of the mayor & city-council members who brought the exhibition hall to us in 1995. One had been peremptorily voted down in every election since their term expired, another one has been indicted, a third has been disbarred, and the fourth is still on post-release parole...
You had me confused, until I saw exhibition hall, since the arena has been around since Elvis ... looks like a lot has been added to it since I was last around...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Blaisdell_Center

(Oh, and go Menehunes!)

DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiP Guy
Oh, and go Menehunes!
I'd make some sort of humorous comment about how any team named the "Menehunes" is bound to strike fear & trembling into the hearts of their opponents, but our kid is still trying to figure out why I snicker every time she cheers for her high school's "Trojans"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I'd make some sort of humorous comment about how any team named the "Menehunes" is bound to strike fear & trembling into the hearts of their opponents, but our kid is still trying to figure out why I snicker every time she cheers for her high school's "Trojans"...

I remember when I first 'became' one and it was described to me as a tiny Hawaiian warrior, I always thought of the Karen Black "Trilogy of Terror' where this little 6" doll manages to terrorize her pretty dang well...

http://www.tvguide.com/movies/dbpix/images/39997a.jpg
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:20 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Front Page News

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/704090326
Non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Pandemic influenza just begging for a vector:
"Keeper of Coops Ends His Game of Chicken"

I guess it's reason #52 to have a set of CC&Rs. We live on the border of a community subject to a HOA and a couple hundred yards away the local "farmer" is raising over 100 fighting cocks hobby chickens. Their crowing is enough to drown out the noise of traffic on the adjacent highway. I can only imagine what it'd be like next door...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote