Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I remember a contemporary lit. instructor telling us we could opt out of reading Norman Mailer’s “Why we are in Vietnam.” IIRC, a couple of students did opt out; it probably is my most memorable book from that era. I believe the Holden Caulfield character did go to Vietnam in a later story or that fact was mentioned as an aside, was he killed there? My favorite Salanger piece was, “For Esme With Love and Squalor.” So did he leave a boatload of stories & books waiting for the publisher? Hope so.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To be honest, I have a total blank about Catcher in the Rye. I know it was not an assigned book in High School. I am positive that it was one of those classics that a some point I tried to read. But, I am thinking that I must not have gotten very fair if I didn't even recognize the main characters name.

It doesn't sound like it is a must read.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
It doesn't sound like it is a must read.
Once you are out of school, no more must reads.

Personally I would give up a lot before I would give up reading quality novels and stories, and believe me, Salinger's work is quality.

Ha
Old 02-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
CITR is second on the most frequently banned classic books list (Great Gatsby is first)
I'm trying to figure out why GREAT GATSBY was banned? I don't remember anything controversial about it. It's been a long time since I read it, though.

I remember liking CATCHER but not being overwhelmed by it. I'm more of a D.H. Lawrence or Herman Hesse guy.

It's interesting to see GRAPES OF WRATH so high up on the list. I heard once that the movie was by far the most shown American movie in the Soviet Union, where it was presented as an accurate documentary of American life.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I'm trying to figure out why GREAT GATSBY was banned? I don't remember anything controversial about it. It's been a long time since I read it, though.

I had the same thought. Incidentally, The Great Gatsby is an outstanding look at the great boom of the 20s.

Ha
Old 02-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I'm pretty sure Gatsby was banned because of the adulterous relationships--between Gatsby and the married Daisy (who was married to the narrator's cousin), and between Daisy's husband and another woman.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #27
Administrator

Yes, BestWifeEver is probably right about the reason for banning.

Also there was the theme of the failure of the American Dream. I don't know if that had anything to do with the banning, but some people didn't like that aspect.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Wow, is that quaint?

Ha
Old 02-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Sex (including language, as CITR used the "f" word) is almost always the reason books are banned in schools or libraries (banning sought by community members, not by school or library staff).

Wouldn't want to encourage the little darlings .
Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I know I read Catcher in the Rye, but I really don't remember it other than the title. I remember most of the books I read in high school pretty well. And I really remember To Kill a Mockingbird and The Scarlet Letter.

Audrey
Old 02-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I had the same thought. Incidentally, The Great Gatsby is an outstanding look at the great boom of the 20s.

Ha
I remember having really mixed feelings when reading it and I could in no way identify with any of the characters.

HOWEVER

It did give one an incredible glimpse into the life and culture of the period.

There was a made for TV version (2001 A&E) that really captured the spirit of the book beautifully. Wow - now that I look it up, Toby Stephens was the lead. I remember enjoying the actor playing Jay Gatsby but I never connected who it was not even when I really enjoyed his interpretation of Edward Rochester in the recent PBS Jane Eyre. It's that accent switch that always gets ya!

Amazon.com: The Great Gatsby (A&E): Mira Sorvino, Toby Stephens

Audrey
Old 02-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'm pretty sure Gatsby was banned because of the adulterous relationships--between Gatsby and the married Daisy (who was married to the narrator's cousin), and between Daisy's husband and another woman.
Ummmmmm - I think that would mean they better ban the bible - at least the old testament.

Audrey