Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I might add another anecdote or two.

A colleague had moved to town but had not found a house yet. The storage place burned down on him.

Our storage unit (see above) was next to someone who had stored a dried cake (against the rules; he didn't realize it was 'food'!). In spite of the rat traps everywhere, they got into his stuff and chewed it all up--and into ours, but only a little.

"Store up not thy treasures on earth."

my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
Although we didn't store furniture when we first retired, we did use one of these places to store some really important stuff. One year later we asked each other what was in there. Neither of us could remember exactly. So, apparently that really important stuff wasn't all that necessary in our new life. We cleaned out the place and moved forward.
My storage for a 90-day submarine patrol was a uniform locker (5'x1'x2'), a cupboard (2'x2'x3') and three dresser drawers (a total of 2'x2'x3'). (Junior enlisted had to make do with even less total storage volume.) About half the space was taken up with the uniform articles you were required to have on hand. With that amount of storage you have to decide what's really important, and it turns out that not much makes the cut. Enforced triage eventually becomes a lifestyle.

During those 1980s days I had a Charleston 2BR condo full of the usual bachelor furniture-- nothing valuable enough to be worth the petty theft. The realtor I'd bought it from (the spouse of a submariner) would give free plane tickets to young submariners to fly down from New London CT to look at Charleston real estate. I gave her my condo keys and she'd rent it out to them. I was young & stupid but apparently the aura of the submarine fraternity kept the bad stuff from happening. I'd clear about $1000 every patrol, too, which helped a lot.

If the brush fire rolled up to our yard I'd leave the house with the computer and the photo albums. If nothing else was worth saving then it's not worth storing either...

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:24 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Great story, Nords, and perfect training for a simple approach to living.

If the brush fire rolled up to our yard I'd leave the house with the computer and the photo albums. If nothing else was worth saving then it's not worth storing either...
Pretty much our sentiments as well.

I shouldn't admit this, but I still have some of those eel skin high heels and matching bags from my work days. But I don't wear high heels anymore!! so silly I am...

Be well,
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

In 1991 Billy and Akaisha Kaderli retired at the age of 38. They have lived over 2 decades of this financially independent lifestyle, traveling the globe.
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote