Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Long-time unemployed male population growing
Old 08-02-2006, 01:52 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
1) Do you like her mother? Is she nice, reasonably attractive for her age, well groomed? If not, go on down the road, because this young woman you are about to tie yourself to will one day be a lot like her middle aged mother.
True, but I have been checking prospective fathers-in-law lately too. Something to do with one woman whose father had mental problems and who eventually developed the exact same problems ... 10+ years after a friend of mine married her*
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2006, 01:58 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

unfortunately, my ex-wife faked me out on all three of those tests.

1) Her mother put up a pretty good front at first, and really seemed like a good woman. But, like the clearcoat on an '88 Chrysler, that veneer peeled away pretty quickly after the marriage.

2) She always spoke highly of her father. Until AFTER the marriage. That's when I heard about some of the crap that went down in that family over the years.

3) She was a neat-freak. Unfortunately I am not. That was the source of many, many arguments after the marriage.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:00 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Never understood the mentality, not even a little.* The income stream stops, you get another one going, then work on improving it.

Sitting at home on the couch gets you zero dollars per hour.
Yeah, this is the way I feel too.

I've known many people (either professionally or friends or family) who have lost jobs/ been downsized/rightsized/or whatever else you want to call it. They all took the hit, and the went out and got another job. Just that simple. Maybe not a high paying job, maybe a dirty job, but a job. Just that simple.
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 PM   #44

I caught a little blurb on CNBC or something similar this past afternoon where they had some annoying loudmouth with bad, 70's looking hair having an interview with one of these 50-somethings who sat around the house, collecting a small pension, and out of the workforce, and depending heavily on the wife's income.

It kinda pissed me off the way they tried to put on the spin that this guy was lazy and leeching off of society. Nevermind the fact that he put his 30 years in the workforce, and between him and his wife, they were getting their bills paid. Now, their retirement prospects looked somewhat bleak to be sure, but when that 70's looking dude said that he can afford to stay at home because other men are going to work, I just about lost it.

Now admittedly, I think this couple should get their act together so they CAN have a stable retirement. But I just hated this concept that this guy is a leech on society because, for the time being at least, he doesn't HAVE to work.

The whole thing kinda put me in the mindset of "But whaddya DO all day?"
Old 08-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
The whole thing kinda put me in the mindset of "But whaddya DO all day?"* *
Letting annoying CNBC loudmouths with bad, 70's looking hair interview them...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I first read the article when it appeared. I thought to myself, "The folks at the early retirement board will really love these guys because they have figured out how to retire early without worrying about the financial independence side of things." I thought that y'all would really like them because of their ingenious ways of not having to work.

I am surprised by all the negative vibes presented in the posts in this thread. C'mon now, these non-workers are pretty much like all the lazy bums on this message board: They don't work! There is not much to separate the folks in the article from the folks who post here.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

Trying to stir us up - eh?

heh heh heh - I became a 'high class ER' when I found this forum.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:34 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
There is not much to separate the folks in the article from the folks who post here.
Except for that financial independence thing, and the fact that I make more money sitting around than most people make working a white collar job?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:31 AM   #49

"The folks at the early retirement board will really love these guys because they have figured out how to retire early without worrying about the financial independence side of things."

I think the key here isn't that these people aren't worrying about the financial independence side of things, but they're IGNORING it. They might be scraping by now, but what happens once they deplete the equity in their homes, what little savings they have, etc? If whatever pension, disability, SS they get isn't enough to cover their needs, they're going to be screwed later in life.

I think some of them should get out there and work, at least part time, while they can, because they're only going to get older and less empoyable as they age. And putting in a few years now might make the later years a bit more golden.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I'd be happy to have some "'70's looking hair"... :P

I'm going to turn this on it's head, and say that LBYM, financial responsibility, upgrading your skills, etc. are all necessary for the future of this country. Freedom is not free!! You get lazy, feel "entitled", bury your head in the sand, and you get the government, ecomony, and country you deserve...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:40 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!

* C'mon now, these non-workers are pretty much like all the lazy bums on this message board: They don't work!*
Gee, I hope not.* *IMHO, early retirement isn't just about "not working"* -- anyone can choose not to work. (In fact, my nephew is perfecting that lifestyle)* *I figure the point is to do the financial homework so I can stop working at an earlier age and maintain a lifestyle that doesn't include a homeless shelter.* * *