Join Early Retirement Today

Long working hours linked to high blood pressure
Old 08-29-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Long working hours linked to high blood pressure

I guess we could also put this one in the "Well, duh" category.

JAHA article summarized in Reuters.

Interestingly, "The researchers also found that hypertension was more common among clerical and unskilled workers than among professionals.* This 'suggests that occupations requiring more challenging and mentally active work may have a protective effect against hypertension,' Yang and his colleagues write.* Almost all of the developed world has legislation limiting work hours, except for the United States, the researchers note."

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Long working hours linked to high blood pressure
Old 08-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I guess we could also put this one in the "Well, duh" category.

JAHA article summarized in Reuters.

... Almost all of the developed world has legislation limiting work hours, except for the United States, the researchers note."
We're #1; ...* again!* So, how come my bp doesn't drop?* I mean, I work zero hours.* *

Or is it just that working can't help you, but it can hurt you?* Just as we suspected!

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
We're #1; ... again! So, how come my bp doesn't drop? I mean, I work zero hours.

Or is it just that working can't help you, but it can hurt you? Just as we suspected!
Your blood pressure hasn't dropped because you read this website. All these "Chicken Little" postings about the housing market, the stock market, etc... make my blood boil sometimes. :P
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
gone traveling

See my blood pressure thread in the life after RE. Interesting, I gotta say my BP is down way down this summer and hey I got my notice today that I am ready and the state has all NEEDED paperwork to PROCESS my Retirement application and present it to the state retirement board!!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote