Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by web_diva View Post
I saw segments about the Prius' being abandoned on the side of the road a few years ago on the national network news...At that time, a battery around $8,000 to replace plus an EPA disposal fee - a lot of money to sink into a high mileage vehicle. Seems the cost has come down now to around $2300 + labor + EPA disposal fee on these older batteries. Replacing A 2001 Toyota Prius Battery Pack: What It Cost
More recent models seem to be around $2500 +labor + EPA disposal fee: Replacing Prius batteries can be good for the environment... and sales

Here's someone who explained the batter HAZMAT topic better than I could: Is the Toyota Prius battery bad for the environment

I was glad to hear from the firefighter about the training being available to most firehouses by now...I understood the cars introduced some unique issues in the firefighting world in the way of vehicle and battery fires, disabling, etc.

By all means, drive whatever you wish. I am posting this to assist OP in information gathering on the topic.
Thanks for those links, interesting. But what part of that supports your claim : "(that is why they are often abandoned on side of the road in CA)"? Do they eradicate any evidence of the VIN #, to avoid it being tracked back to the owner? Conventional cars get to the point of only having scrap value, and that's what most people do - sell them for scrap.

Anyone from Chicago-land will probably get a kick out of any mention of the "Victory Auto-Wreckers" commercials. They've been running the same TV ad at low-budget stations/times since the 80's, with the same 'old' car (early 70's model), and the same guy with the 80's hair-style. It's quite a hoot! And yes, it still runs currently (the commercial, not the car).

Hah! Youtube to the rescue! The car door falling off is such a subtle touch! What, no Emmy for this guy?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

The idea of finding abandoned Prii on the side of the road sounds like finding the proverbial $100 bill just lying on the sidewalk. Web_diva is in a position to profit quite handsomely if she knows where to look.

Tim
timwalsh300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
> Family has two cars: a gas guzzling SUV getting 10mpg and a sedan getting 20mpg.

Straw man?

We have two old cars: a 10 year old Murano SUV (OK, a "crossover", but I like to call it an SUV because it annoys people ;-) ) which gets ~21 around town; and a 15 year old Camry which gets about ~24 mpg with our driving.

Sure some folks have cars with the very worse mpg, but neither the Murano nor the Camry are rare cars.

We did just ordered a replacement for the Camry and it's a diesel that should get well into the 40 mpg range on the highway (it's not been rated by the epa yet, but it's been written up a couple of times). I'm more interested in the range rather then actual gas savings - we bought it to take some long trips all around the country over the next couple of years and it can go around 900 miles on a single tank of diesel.
The point of the example is not that this is a common situation. It has nothing to do with the cars. It is an illustration of why MPG is a lousy metric for comparison shopping. In countries where they actually worry about fuel efficiency ( they pay much more for gas than we do) they do not use MPG or Kilometers per gallon. They use the more useful gallons per distance metric for more accurate comparisons. Using MPG distorts the comparison in a way that gallons per 100 miles does not. Now we could make it a law for car manufacturers to report it in the more helpful way, but I would prefer the market and people just demand it and it will happen without Big Brother sticking his fingers in the mix.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
.... Using MPG distorts the comparison in a way that gallons per 100 miles does not. Now we could make it a law for car manufacturers to report it in the more helpful way, but I would prefer the market and people just demand it and it will happen without Big Brother sticking his fingers in the mix.
Done.

I recall some EPA rep talking about this a few years back, and it finally made it onto the Monroney sticker:

Learn More About the Fuel Economy Label for Gasoline Vehicles

Quote:
5. Fuel Consumption Rate

While a miles per gallon (MPG) estimate is a required feature that has appeared on the fuel economy label for several decades, this metric can be potentially misleading when consumers compare fuel economy improvements, particularly when they use it in place of fuel costs. The following chart shows the non-linear relationship between gallons used over a given distance and miles per gallon. The fuel savings, in gallons, for a vehicle that gets 10 MPG versus a vehicle that gets 15 MPG is about 33 gallons (assuming 1000 miles). On the other hand, the fuel savings in gallons, for the same 5 MPG fuel economy jump, for a 30 MPG versus a 35 MPG vehicle is only about 5 gallons.

Fuel Consumption Rate

This “MPG illusion” demonstrates why it may be more meaningful to express fuel efficiency in terms of consumption (e.g., gallons per mile or per 100 miles) rather than in terms of economy (miles per gallon). A fuel consumption metric allows for more accurate energy usage comparisons among vehicles.

The revised label includes both fuel economy and consumption information for all vehicle types.
Not sure if this is in effect yet, didn't see a date there. (ETA: wiki says required for model year 2013, voluntary for earlier models)

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought the prius. final price 19018 plus tax title and license. I will however take the platinum wrap extended warranty. The only part that bothers me now is I still had to pay the 59 dollar documentation fee. isn't that kind of like adding .05 cents a store to print a reciept. thanks for all the input and keep the comments coming as I will own it for a while. thanks

frank
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I bought the prius. final price 19018 plus tax title and license. I will however take the platinum wrap extended warranty. The only part that bothers me now is I still had to pay the 59 dollar documentation fee. isn't that kind of like adding .05 cents a store to print a reciept. thanks for all the input and keep the comments coming as I will own it for a while. thanks

frank
I'm not 100% sure what the documentation fee includes, but I think it's just all the paperwork required to finalize the purchase/lease. Just went through this in March with the lease on our Prius. I believe there are more documents required than to purchase a house. I'd say $25 just in the cost of the paper. Talk about saving trees! It's crazy the time it takes just to sign all the papers. The finance guy at the dealer must be a genius. It's a paperwork nightmare.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #67
Administrator

Good luck with the car. The "charge for the receipt" example is right on IMHO. Add on fees are just a deceptive way to get the price up a little, another reason why people have such little trust in auto dealerships.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #68

I should have mentioned the car, it's the 2014 Mercedes E250 Bluetec (same as the E350, but with the diesel engine). It has the same 21.1 fuel tank as the gasoline version.

Here's the article that mentions that it should get a "projected 45 mpg" Mercedes Projects 45-MPG Highway Rating for 2014 E250 Bluetec | Edmunds.com

We're going to pick one up in Stuttgart when it's available in September.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I should have mentioned the car, it's the 2014 Mercedes E250 Bluetec (same as the E350, but with the diesel engine). It has the same 21.1 fuel tank as the gasoline version.

Here's the article that mentions that it should get a "projected 45 mpg" Mercedes Projects 45-MPG Highway Rating for 2014 E250 Bluetec | Edmunds.com

We're going to pick one up in Stuttgart when it's available September.
So, same mileage as a Prius but if you hit a Prius with that E250 it would amount to a mere speed bump..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Speaking about fuel efficiency - I wish BlueMotion series of Volkswagen were available in US.
A non-hybrid 50mpg Passat or 60mpg Polo sounds good to me.
"Real world" experience with Polo (keep in mind that these are British gallons in mpg figures): 6 months with the Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion - real world figures.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #71

To the OP - now that you have your Prius, suggest you check out PriusChat.com forums (especially the stickies) where there is all kinds of useful information, as well as all the geeky details about the car you could imagine (and plenty that you probably didn't think of!).

Enjoy - if you like your Prius half as much as I like mine, you'll be thrilled.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

frank

Congrats on your purchase.

Now... the most important question... What color?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #73

red with gray and black interior.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
red with gray and black interior.
Sounds like a good choice
Old 07-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #75
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:

I bought the Prius.

Thanks for all the input and keep the comments coming as I will own it for a while. thanks

frank
Frank,

To remain on your financial plan, Don't smile, say hello or be friendly when
filling up your gas tank. One of those outgoing "Green" gals may ask for your number.
1st Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats on the 'new' car. We bought my DW's Prius new in 2005. [back when there was a waiting list] It's a great car, even if we don't drive it enough to make the MPH/cost thing balance out. To us it was worth the extra just because it is so nice a car. We are car shopping again. This time for a slightly used 2013 Camry. I want something with a trunk this go round.

Our old car when we bought the Prius was a 2000 Alero, a much bigger car. But the back seat leg room is much better in the Prius.
Larro Darro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larro Darro View Post
Congrats on the 'new' car. We bought my DW's Prius new in 2005. [back when there was a waiting list] It's a great car, even if we don't drive it enough to make the MPH/cost thing balance out. To us it was worth the extra just because it is so nice a car. We are car shopping again. This time for a slightly used 2013 Camry. I want something with a trunk this go round.

Our old car when we bought the Prius was a 2000 Alero, a much bigger car. But the back seat leg room is much better in the Prius.
If you want a trunk, don't forget to look at the Prius V.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
If you want a trunk, don't forget to look at the Prius V.
We did look at them, but I like our old Prius better than the new ones. This will be our last 'new' car for a long time, and we don't put enough miles on the car and truck we have to justify the extra cost. I'm not going to pay over $23K for a 13 Camry LE with less than 15K miles. One of my friends is a part time dealer, and he is shopping the web for us. There have been two this week in my price range, but I haven't jumped yet.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #79

I drove the prius to minneapolis and got 49.3 mpg. second fillup with around town driving. I got 51.1 mpg. the car is comfortable and I have seen no shortage of power driving on the interstates.

frank
Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #80

Quote:
I drove the prius to minneapolis and got 49.3 mpg. second fillup with around town driving. I got 51.1 mpg. the car is comfortable and I have seen no shortage of power driving on the interstates.

frank
Sounds about right.