Join Early Retirement Today

Looking For a Good Floor Fan
Old 09-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looking For a Good Floor Fan

My not so trusty Lasko 20 Inch plastic fan bit the dust so now I'm looking for a replacement.

Any recommendations?

That Lasko was good (kept me cool and cut down on the A/C) while it lasted, but only about 2 years before biting the dust.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Take a look at the high velocity stuff, all metal, no plastic and they move a lot of air w/o making a lot of noise.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Take a look at the high velocity stuff, all metal, no plastic and they move a lot of air w/o making a lot of noise.
The Lasko high velocity, all metal is first on my radar. But some reviews say it is quite loud. I suppose, loudness is in the ear of the beholder .

I should have mentioned, the fan will be in my living room so I don't want it to drown out the TV.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #4

On high speed it will make noise. Hey 6000 CFM is going to make some noise -

But on low it will move more air than one of those cheapies and be quieter.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:04 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The good thing is I do have some time to do some browsing as fall is here.

At the moment, I do have one of those drill battery type portable fans.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #6

My wife has a premium Turbo fan.

I'm stuck with a $16 fan from Dollar General that's a throwaway. But it works.

Our new house doesn't have ceiling fans in the bedrooms--chandeliers instead. We sure miss the air movement.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've got one of the Dyson floor fans which is nice, but my favorite is the Holmes Blizzard - plus it cost a lot less .
Old 09-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #8

What about a box fan? One with a simple design can last a long time. I've had one for decades that is still going after near-daily operation totalling about 10 million minutes. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of its manufacturer.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
What about a box fan? One with a simple design can last a long time. I've had one for decades that is still going after near-daily operation totalling about 10 million minutes. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of its manufacturer.
Thought about a box fan. But I do kinda like the ability to tilt the fan at an angle.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My not so trusty Lasko 20 Inch plastic fan bit the dust so now I'm looking for a replacement.

Any recommendations?

That Lasko was good (kept me cool and cut down on the A/C) while it lasted, but only about 2 years before biting the dust.

We have four of those Lasko 20in fans ranging from 2-6 yrs old. No problems and we leave them out on the deck all summer. I try to keep them sheltered from rain but they still get wet and blasted by the sun. I'll buy another if I get a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-21-2016, 03:20 PM   #11

Vornado.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #12

I would try Spike Lee he has always been pretty cool
Old 09-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Bought a Lasko U12100 used while down south. Was so impressed we bought a larger Lasko 4905 when we got north. Compact little boxes that tilt up or down and move a bunch of air with much less noise than other fans we've had.

Lasko Pro-Performance High Velocity Pivoting Blower Fan-4905 - The Home Depot $79, we bought new on sale for $55?

https://www.walmart.com/reviews/prod...sort=relevancy $10 used from a yard sale - think I actually like this better - it moves plenty of air and takes up less space.

Both have 8'-10' heavy cords and a pair of electric outlets on the fan so you can daisy chain or have power by the fan. Me buying a second new model speaks volumes.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:05 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Bought a Lasko U12100 used while down south. Was so impressed we bought a larger Lasko 4905 when we got north. Compact little boxes that tilt up or down and move a bunch of air with much less noise than other fans we've had.

Lasko Pro-Performance High Velocity Pivoting Blower Fan-4905 - The Home Depot $79, we bought new on sale for $55?

https://www.walmart.com/reviews/prod...sort=relevancy $10 used from a yard sale - think I actually like this better - it moves plenty of air and takes up less space.

Both have 8'-10' heavy cords and a pair of electric outlets on the fan so you can daisy chain or have power by the fan. Me buying a second new model speaks volumes.

Very interesting. I'll have to look at these pivoting type fans. Never seen one of these before in use.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

After a couple of sleepless nights (not from sweating and too hot, but from researching on fans ), I finally decided to get another cheap plastic floor fan.

I really liked the Lasko fan that died on me. But wasn't ready to buy the same model but got an upgrade version with a remote. Hopefully, I'll have better luck this time.

I really liked the metal high velocity Lasko, but I just think that'll be too loud. I'd need a bigger place to match the fan .

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Vornado.
+1
Old 09-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post

It's funny this should come up. DW and I were in a large antique store last weekend, it had no AC. The had some Lasko fans similar to those, and I remarked to her how quiet they were for the amount of air they moved, and she had been thinking the same thing. I think the "squirrel cage" style centrifugal blower tends to be less noisy that the propeller-blade style fan.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #18

I use a cheap plastic box fan for the noise it offers - a pleasant hum. Preferable to barking dogs, leaf blowers etc..... On warm days the breeze is a plus.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #19

we have three Lasko Cyclones (plastic) that work really great, and are very light to move around also.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
we have three Lasko Cyclones (plastic) that work really great, and are very light to move around also.
I did some inspecting on the Lasko Cyclone I had which broke. Looks like a wire to the switch broke off and from what I saw, couldn't be reconnected. On youtube, I saw where another person too said that fan is nice but only lasted about 2 years then died. Other than that, I really like the fan's airflow. Keeps me cool, but not too much noise.

So, this time around, I'm hoping with a different kind of switch, the fan will last longer. We shall see.