Looking for a new tire inflator

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm looking for a tire inflator to replace my old one that is not working right. I have a Sears cordless but the chuck is starting to come loose during inflation, and as a result doesn't inflate without needing me to hold the chuck againt the tire manually.

My only need is to top-off the air. Ideally, the inflator would be cordless and have an auto PSI shutoff. But, 12V would work too.

What I have now:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911586000P?keyword=c3+inflator&sLevel=0&prop17=c3%20inflator

What I am considering:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xno/R-100674214/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Your thoughts and recommendations?

Previous thread:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/home-air-compressors-for-car-tires-49470.html

For those prices look at the emergency jump starters that have a air pump.

For the price of the one you're looking at, you may want to shop around for something like this:

Amazon.com: Stanley J5C09 500 Amp Jump Starter with Compressor: Automotive

I don't have this model, but something similar (some knock name) that my brother got from Menards (home supply center comparable to Home Depot). The one I have only cost $39 (was on sale for $49 this summer). What's nice is they have an internal battery, so you can jump your car, has an inflator w/gauge, and a light. The air compressor works pretty well on this, much better than just the plug in portable types and can be charged ac/dc. I keep it in the trunk in case the battery ever dies out on me. I've had it for over 3+ years now and it's still going strong.

Google sears parts & put in your model # & you'll find the part you're looking for:

Air hose Number:671793001Then look up a sears parts center near you & you'll have fixed this for $12.48

I actually have a lesser Stanley jumper (without the air pump). Was figuring since I already had a pump, thought I'd save the cost. Kind of wish I had that now.

I do have a 12V inflator (with auto shut off) that actually does a good job inflating which I bought at Walmart about 2 years ago for $20 (not carried there anymore).

Google sears parts & put in your model # & you'll find the part you're looking for:

Air hose Number:671793001Then look up a sears parts center near you & you'll have fixed this for $12.48

Thanks. Might go that route, but it seems what I described is a common problem with that inflator and wouldn't want to have to change that every 2 years.

Thanks. Might go that route, but it seems what I described is a common problem with that inflator and wouldn't want to have to change that every 2 years.

Check the warranty. According to the website you linked, it may have a Craftsman Lifetime Warranty

The other option is to use a Co2 tank.

Check the warranty. According to the website you linked, it may have a Craftsman Lifetime Warranty

Thanks for the idea. It's only a one year warranty :blush: I bought it on Jan of 2009.

Walkinwood,

This really is good to know. I might end up going this route as each time I use a non-cordless, I'll be wishing I had a cordless.

I wonder though, could I just buy a cheap bicycle pump, detach the hose and fit that in my inflator as the only thing not functioning is the chuck. the rest of the inflator works like new.

Easy

I wonder though, could I just buy a cheap bicycle pump, detach the hose and fit that in my inflator as the only thing not functioning is the chuck. the rest of the inflator works like new.

Easy

You should bring in your pump unit to any hardware store that carries brass/copper plumbing fittings. I'm sure you can cut/replace the hose and they'll have repair parts to refit yours. Save the expense of buying/tossing a bike pump. This should be a pretty standard air hose to repair/replace.

If you bring it in, you'll be able to buy only the pieces you need. This kit will end up leaving you with extra parts.

Good idea about bringing it in. All I really need is a good air chuck that doesn't leak. Of course, to got to that point, I might need to cut the hose and reattach that to a new air chuck.

In any case, the solution seems a lot easier than purchasing a new inflator (plus, it'll still be cordless too!)

I do have a 12V inflator (with auto shut off) that actually does a good job inflating which I bought at Walmart about 2 years ago for $20 (not carried there anymore).

I bought one of these (different model) at SAM's several years ago and have been very happy with it. I use it for bicycles and wheelbarrows, as well as for automobile tires.

Thanks for the idea. It's only a one year warranty :blush: I bought it on Jan of 2009.

Might you have bought this on a credit card that doubled the warranty? You might need the receipt but possibly the store might have it in their database.

Might you have bought this on a credit card that doubled the warranty? You might need the receipt but possibly the store might have it in their database.

Didn't even think about that. Great idea.

Well...I fixed the hose of my tire inflator. I think it works even better now than when brand new :D

Here's a link to a picture of the inflator after my fix up:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/members/10703-albums92-picture637.jpg

I first tried using a ball type chuck with clip on but that still leaked air. Instead to solve the problem, I had to sacrifice a hose from a cheap inflator

Tire Top Off (40020) - Repairing a flat tire? Slime Tire & Tube Sealant

that has a screw-on type air-chuck. For some reason, I've had more success with these type of connections. I already had this cheap inflator around.

As you can see from the picture, it was a tight fit as the hoses didn't cover all the hose splice. I probably don't even need the hose clips as the fit is so tight.

Now I have a 100% working inflator, which is cordless, does not leak air, and all fixed at a nominal cost (about $5 for parts, and another $10 to replace the cheap inflator). I decided to replace the cheap Slime inflator as insurance in case I don't keep the battery charged on my cordless inflator and a tire goes flat while on the road.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I bought one of these (different model) at SAM's several years ago and have been very happy with it. I use it for bicycles and wheelbarrows, as well as for automobile tires.

The one I bought a few years back at walmart is this one 5-in-1 Air Compressor.

The only reason I'm not using this as my main inflator is because I prefer a cordless one. But I still keep this one around as it works well and is fast (I can actually hear the air filling in the tires).

This one too has a screw-on type connection to the tire valve which I like.

Too much plastic!

That's what I realized with the inflator repair. It seems like practically everything nowadays is made out of plastic that is painted to look like metal. The same was true of the air chuck on the craftsman airhose. That was the weakest link of what else is a great product.

But now, I'm happy with my fixed inflator.

Is there a reason you can't just put air in the tires at the service station? For free, or at most a quarter? I can see having an emergency inflator with your jumper, but other than that, what's the point? For bike and wheelbarrow tires just use a bike pump. I guess I'm missing the point.

I haven't found inflating air at the gas station convenient . Many times it's tough enough finding an open spot to refill on gas. Also I think my laziness sets in too. I just want to go to the station for gas, and not have to fill up the tires with air also. The same laziness of having to plug/unplug the cord in the lighter and move the inflator around vs just having a working cordless one. I'm good now with a cordless, in my trunk.

I know, it's a way of looking at things for the same/similar work. Kind of like when a student. Do you study and do the homework on Friday and then relax the weekend? Or do you relax first and wait until Sunday evening to do the homework? Either case, you gotta do the homework..just a different approach.

I haven't found inflating air at the gas station convenient . Many times it's tough enough finding an open spot to refill on gas. Also I think my laziness sets in too. I just want to go to the station for gas, and not have to fill up the tires with air also. The same laziness of having to plug/unplug the cord in the lighter and move the inflator around vs just having a working cordless one. I'm good now with a cordless, in my trunk.

I know, it's a way of looking at things for the same/similar work. Kind of like when a student. Do you study and do the homework on Friday and then relax the weekend? Or do you relax first and wait until Sunday evening to do the homework? Either case, you gotta do the homework..just a different approach.

Well, we're definitely on different wavelengths. I partied all weekend, did the first class's homework at breakfast Monday morning, and did the rest of them in the class before it while paying half @ssed attention to the lecture. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom