Join Early Retirement Today

Looking for a new web hosting service...
Old 02-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looking for a new web hosting service...

I have been using a web hosting service for several years and just got the bill for next year. Too much $$$$, IMHO. I am looking for suggestions.

I have a simple web site using Microsoft FrontPage, less than 20 e-mail addresses, domain name host, and photo albums.

My current provider is MyHosting.com.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have you considered using your ISP? Mine, Comcast, allows 1 GB of storage per email account (not sure what the email account limit) is, and doesn't appear to monitor bandwidth. This is included in my basic broadband monthly fee.

Also, you can spread your web site over several free hosters. Put the home page where the email accounts are, and point your domain name at that. Then link to pages on other free hosters to spread the storage and bandwidth. I have been doing this for 10 years and never paid a penny for hosting.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

My ISP is QWest, I hadn't thought to inquire.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've been very happy with eVerity for 2 different FP sites for the past year.... they plan to continue FP extensions indefinitely.
...others that I investigated that also have FPE (or, did at the time) that have good reviews are: Cyber-Land Kionic.com NitroZone.Net
Good luck in your search! ... Rick
Old 02-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #5

Brat, you might want to look at Google Sites -- the price is right.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Brat, you might want to look at Google Sites -- the price is right.

Coach
I looked at google sites about a year ago. One negative at the time was you do not get your own domain name - it will always be google.blah,blah,blah something. If you decide to move later, you lose your name you had there, as it "belongs" to google.

Maybe if you kept one of those free sites that does allow you to bring your domain over, you could just redirect to google - that might work out.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #7

I use Hostgator hatchling - so far so good - way more than I need - still learning about all the stuff I can do.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I recently signed up with Microsoft's OfficeLive service. It's free the first year, and $15 annually after that for web hosting and 100 email accounts. I've found it easy to use, although I don't know about transferring if you already have a site elsewhere. You can customize your domain.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I used Earthlink for many years. Very happy with it.

Web Site Hosting from top Web Host > Get EarthLink Web Hosting
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #10

I have 4 or 5 sites thru 3essentials.com . Very knowledgeable staff, and cheap. No issues to date...4 years into it.
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Hostgator - have been satisfied for exactly 1 year.
Make sure your FP extensions are going to be compatible with Linux hosting.
Google is a viable option too.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #12

Try e-rice.net. They are very cheap, and for the past 2 years I have been happy with the quality of service.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Question regarding these budget priced hosts:

I always see some fine (and not-so-fine) print that at $x you get Y amount of data transfers that month. What I don't understand is - what control do you have over how many people view your site? I mean, if you put something up of general interest and it ends up on on some news page, are they going to hit you up for some big charges? Or what if someone maliciously decided to set up a dozen computers hitting your site 24/7?

How is that handled?

-ERD50
Old 02-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Also, anyone ever try these guys?

Web Hosting Services and Domain Name Registration : 1&1 Internet Inc.

$5/month for "hobby level". I looked into them about a year ago, and used their on-line tool to make a dummy website. It was fairly powerful and very easy to use. I liked that you didn't need any software on your computer to go in and update things, just your logon/password, everything can be done web based. Handy if you are doing something where you want several people to have access and capability to update.

-ERD50
Old 02-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

1&1 Hosting has a really bad reputation.

I use Act Now Domains and they are good. They have web based website builders too (I think most hosts have those these days.) I've tried a bunch of hosts and have found them to be very reliable and have great support.
Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Question regarding these budget priced hosts:

I always see some fine (and not-so-fine) print that at $x you get Y amount of data transfers that month. What I don't understand is - what control do you have over how many people view your site? I mean, if you put something up of general interest and it ends up on on some news page, are they going to hit you up for some big charges? Or what if someone maliciously decided to set up a dozen computers hitting your site 24/7?

How is that handled?

-ERD50
The host puts up a page saying you've exceeded bandwidth allocation. Your choice at that point is to go to the next higher hosting package.

You are supposed to monitor your site, so if you notice someone is linking to a picture on your site, then you have to deal with it.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM View Post
I recently signed up with Microsoft's OfficeLive service. It's free the first year, and $15 annually after that for web hosting and 100 email accounts. I've found it easy to use, although I don't know about transferring if you already have a site elsewhere. You can customize your domain.
I tried signing up for their service and have concerns about transferring my domain name e-mail addresses. When I went to attempt to access the account today I got the MSN Live screen. This wasn't what I had in mind.

Linux doesn't support the MS website builder.. not that I really use it but I would hate to loose that option. So, off to look at other hosts.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I tried signing up for their service and have concerns about transferring my domain name e-mail addresses. When I went to attempt to access the account today I got the MSN Live screen. This wasn't what I had in mind.

Linux doesn't support the MS website builder.. not that I really use it but I would hate to loose that option. So, off to look at other hosts.
Personally, I would not want to get tied into anything that locks me to Microsoft products.

Years ago, when my 'tween daughter asked me to set up a Microsoft chat account or something, they started sending unsolicited ads to her for dating services and such (meet singles in YOUR neighborhood!). Great, and you enter your age into their profile.

They got a nasty-gram from me, I closed the account and will avoid doing anything with MS if I can.

I look for things that support Linux, although I don't currently use it, that is likely where I will be moving to in the future, at least with some stuff.

-ERD50