Looking for a stand-alone motion detector

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I need an exterior motion sensor I can hardwire to an existing fixture. Any ideas where to get an inexpensive one? Cant find it at home depot/lowes and didnt see any on ebay...maybe im not searching for the right thing?

I need an exterior motion sensor I can hardwire to an existing fixture. Any ideas where to get an inexpensive one? Cant find it at home depot/lowes and didnt see any on ebay...maybe im not searching for the right thing?
I was looking to replace a motion sensor for the light on the garage (current one has too wide of a field for the situation) and saw that they had replacement sensors (just not the narrower field I wanted). They also had wireless sensors that would turn on a light that you install a small receiver on. I can't find either of these on their website, but they were in my local store. The first one would require require installation and wiring, the second one requires just screwing the receiver into the light fixture and then picking a spot for the sensor (two screws). The sensor has batteries (I think) so replacing them would be a maintenance issue later.

Here are two from Harbor Freight. They are built to have something plugged into them. Will that work, or do you need something to hard-wire into the device itself? Maybe you could take one of these apart--$10-$15 each.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

If this won't work, try a different search term on ebay/Google. etc. What you are looking for is a "passive infrared sensor," often abbreviated "PIR."

Leonidas,
Narrower FOV: Could you just install a cylinder around the sensor eye to restrict the FOV (like looking through a soda straw?) It might look ugly, but I'd think it would work. I'd try PVC pipe painted flat black on the inside, cut to the length that works for ya.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom