Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like Bill Bryson, specifically A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail. Its about a travel writer to decides to through-hike the AT and has some very entertaining moments, but also is a nice story. Good on audiobook for the car too.

Amazon.com: A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail…
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another vote for David Sedaris. I listened to When You Are Engulfed in Flames on a recent road trip and laughed out loud a lot.

Coach
Old 08-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

David Sedaris is a very funny man, I agree vehemently! His sister Amy is also very very funny. Here is another fictional book-on-CD I checked out of the library, written by Amy Sedaris and starring Amy, Steve Colbert, and Paul Dinello as cuckoo residents/peripheral characters of Wigfield and its struggles, narrated by Colbert:

Amazon.com: Wigfield (9781565117723): Amy Sedaris: Books

Also fun to listen to are the Firesign Theatre recordings (dwarf, electrician, bozos).
Old 08-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #24

Sherry Shepard's Permission Slips was funny to me. I found myself laughing out loud in my room alone, so that, in my book, qualifies as a good and funny book.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Wishful Drinking" by Carrie Fisher. (Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher's daughter) Autobiographical and very funny. Read in almost one setting and laughed outload alot.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #26

If you like British humour and wit and like to read travel writing as well, try most any of the books by Peter Biddlecombe. (amazon has them all). A biz traveller who has seen most of the world and every short story is about a destination and the funny things, people and indignities that he has suffered.
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #27
Administrator

George Carlin has a couple of books. Mostly his routines, but some additiional prose included.

"Darwin Awards #1" is entertaining.

If you're looking for something a bit different, "The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead"
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1 on Tim Dorsey and Bill Bryson and David Sedaris.
Those are all hilarious writers and great choices.
Southern authors that I think are funny include Gayden Metcalf (Being Dead is no excuse: southern ladies guide to hosting the perfect funeral) and Celia Rivenbark(We're just like you, only prettier) and the queen of southern humor, Florence King.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
me talk pretty one day by david sedaris. i haven't listened to it, but i have read it a couple of times and made me laugh so hard. i have heard it is so much funnier with sedaris narrating.
Sadaris' delivery is so delightful that I recommend listening to him. I can't recommend him enough, if one would like to hear Garrison Keiller's evil twin.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote