Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you have TD Bank / Northbank by you? They don't charge extra here in NYC.

And - off topic - their 50+ checking is really free if you keep a $100 balance.

ta,
mew

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Um...Men are from Mars...
I watched him paw through and count out all dimes and nickels today for his 3 bottles of water, to the exact amount of change. I tried to "help" by putting them out on a plate.

But he does get the kiss anyway.
I know about Martians. Would be cheaper to buy the stuff by the case and bank the change.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My local bank also does this for free with a machine in the lobby. I've been cashing in slowly on my collection covering 2 generations (DW and I, plus late MIL). Close to finished, total so far is a tad over $2K. The worst part of it is we hauled all that change with us last year when we moved! BTW, don't invest in precious metals commodities, the market is flooded.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
I usually end up counting the coins every year or two and the amount usually pays for a vacation. After spending an entire evening sorting out coins last time I decided there had to be a better way. I now have two different coin containers. One is for quarters and dimes and the other is for nickels and pennies. I'm hoping that will make it a lot easier and quicker to sort.
You are probably spending a comparable amount of time sorting, with that time now being distributed over multiple short sorting sessions rather than being concentrated into one long sorting session.
But . . . hey, money is money.

Reminds me -- there are (guessing here) about 75 pounds of pennies in my garage. Can anybody give me a ballpark $/lb or other measure?
Need to do something with them . . .
Old 08-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
You are probably spending a comparable amount of time sorting, with that time now being distributed over multiple short sorting sessions rather than being concentrated into one long sorting session.
But . . . hey, money is money.

Reminds me -- there are (guessing here) about 75 pounds of pennies in my garage. Can anybody give me a ballpark $/lb or other measure?
Need to do something with them . . .

Assuming recent vintage, ~180 ($1.80)/lb. That would work out to around $135.00. Beer money for a couple of months (or weeks, for the Dawg).
Old 08-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I watched him paw through and count out all dimes and nickels today for his 3 bottles of water, to the exact amount of change. I tried to "help" by putting them out on a plate.
OK, the guy's smart enough to hang out with hot engineer chicks, but...

... if he's willing to paw through a pile of change every day, would he be willing to devote the extra-strenuous post-workout effort to carrying home those three empty water bottles? He could refill them and take them back the next morning. It's not the money, it's the expended time & effort.

Plastic bicycle bottles might do the trick too. 49 cents at Goodwill.

Remember in the ancient days of watching a baseball game in the stadium, the roving food & beverage guys would carry small mechanical change holders on their belts? They'd push down on its levers to deliver a quarter or a dime or a nickel, one coin per push. Maybe you could find something like that to hold your small volume of change for quick dispensing.

I keep our change in a small custard dish. Every Friday when we buy our Costco pizza I pay with as much of the change as I can.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:24 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
OK, the guy's smart enough to hang out with hot engineer chicks, but...
Yes, he was crazy smart enough to get connected with a woman who analyzes everything. In fact, one of the topics during our first meet (4 hours of talking in a downpour at a clambake) was wave mechanics and fetch on Lake Ontario, described in detail by me. I mentioned sailing from my previous life and he was very interested put on a good act. So I got into how sails and wind interact and how waves build up...If that wasn't enough to scare him off...
He's a telecomm guy, and can take a computer apart and fix it up with his eyes closed. But when it comes to stuff like change and water bottles...
It gets pretty funny around here. We should sell tickets.