Looking for "different" Christmas gift ideas?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As usual, this is the time of year many of us look for unusual or different gifts for loved ones. Something that they normally wouldn't purchase for themselves seems about right sometimes, so I pulled up the Oprah's favorite things list from Wikipedia and got this:

Oprah's Favorite Things - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This has all the years she did it from 2002-2008. Some good ideas here.

Since this list consists of those companies willing to give their items free to her audience of 350 or so, I have to look at this list with a jaded eye; however, she does have some good ideas.

The suggested panini grill from Williams-Sonoma isn't the best if you read Amazon.com's ratings, but I can personally vouch--as probably every single person in Chicago who's eaten their popcorn--that Garrett's Popcorn Shop has the BEST popcorn in the world. Cheese is my favorite, frankly, but it's all fantabulous! Fattening but wonderfully rich! Absolutely no comparison to the cheap popcorn that comes in big tins you can buy all over at the holidays. No, this Garretts is definitely top quality, rich, delicious and totally a top quality item.

So, does anyone here have anything that is unique that they have found to give as gifts? I'm sure more than one of us could use the ideas.:cool:

Fannie May stores are primarily in Illinois, but a few are in other close by States (like one in Iowa). However, our Chicago board members can back me up on this one as Fannie May was made for years and years in Chicago: It is the best chocolate out there!
Personally, I like Fannie May better than Godiva any day. It's so rich and creamy and just downright decadent. It's my favorite brand of chocolate indulgence.
They ship, too:

Fannie May Candies - Gourmet Chocolates, Candies and Gifts

(This is why I'm on a diet now: everything I love is fattening. But here are my two favorites as gifts: popcorn and now chocolate.)

The Garrett's Popcorn sounds yummy! I might have to get some as a present for moi. And I like the watch parts jewelry also...very unique. I am afraid I don't have any different suggestions to offer. I send the "in-laws and out-laws" stuff like Gethsemani Farm cheese or Mackenzie Scottish smoked salmon. Also Penzey's Spice assortments to a few people who cook a lot. I am sending my son two pairs of alpaca socks from a local alpaca farm(his laundering methods will probably ruin them) and a check.

I enjoy yard sales and thrift stores a little and am prone to pick up really unconventional planters. Cut off a root from some pothos from one of my plants and stuff in soil a few weeks later. I have planted in old banged up copper saucepot with a wooden handle. Smallish dinged up tool box was nice housewarming present for a guy friend. Glass cut glass punch bowl with a few different plants. Because the container is geared to the person it makes a pretty nifty gift for a few dollars.

I love to ccok and frequently make up cheese balls and roll in nuts. Over the holidays I always have spare boxes of crackers and some extra bottles of wine. No one has ever minded an impromptu party basket of these items. I try to get them to save it for a Friday night after work or a special treat just for themselves.

Connie--your previous post reminds me that last year I gave my boss an old coal scuttle that had the original painting of a dogwood blossom on it. I put a large blooming Christmas cactus in to it and tied a big gold bow on the handle. I also collect jardinieres, old buckets and watering cans, spittoons, chamber pots, assorted pottery items. I have an old chipped cut glass bowl filled with water and a floating lily. When I make a visit to a friend in the hospital I have occasionally taken flowers in an old McCoy(or similar maker) vase. I can pick up collectible vases for a dollar or two in this part of the country.

Back
Top Bottom