Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I put all program icons in "Proggies" folder, which has a custom icon. All other shortcuts go in "Shorties folder, with custom icon.
I use smaller Taskbar pinned icons, for the apps I use everyday.
Sounds like a simple approach.

Do your Shorties get filled up with lots of misc shortcuts or do you do a good job of evaluating and cleaning up time to time?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Sounds like a simple approach.

Do your Shorties get filled up with lots of misc shortcuts or do you do a good job of evaluating and cleaning up time to time?
And...
Once you have the folder on your desktop, you can install it as a flyout toolbar on the right side of the toolbar.

Not sure where music shortcuts would come from. Need more description on that.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:50 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And...
Once you have the folder on your desktop, you can install it as a flyout toolbar on the right side of the toolbar.

Not sure where music shortcuts would come from. Need more description on that.
I may have to give your approach a try. I put the folders on my desktop then pinned to start and see the flyout .

I meant miscellaneous shortcuts, not music. Hopefully, I wouldn't before long have a ton of misc shortcuts to sift through . Guess I'd have to evaluation in the first place if I really really need to create a short cut or not for a certain file.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:18 PM   #24

Do you realize that you can unlock the taskbar? Right click on it and unlock it. Then you can increase the size of the tool bar. Then you can increase the size of the icons. In the settings, you can make it go away until you put your curser over it. There are a lot of options. Not sure why you'd need an alternative program, but I may be missing something. Wouldn't be the first time.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:21 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Do you realize that you can unlock the taskbar? Right click on it and unlock it. Then you can increase the size of the tool bar. Then you can increase the size of the icons. In the settings, you can make it go away until you put your curser over it. There are a lot of options. Not sure why you'd need an alternative program, but I may be missing something. Wouldn't be the first time.
You must be on Win 7?
Old 04-13-2019, 07:56 PM   #26

Quote:
You must be on Win 7?
nope. win 10

Old 04-13-2019, 08:26 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

About how many items do you have on your taskbar? I had a lot and to the point I didn't see an option to do any resizing and the quick launch icons were just getting smaller. But maybe I'm missing something
Old 04-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #28

Quote:
About how many items do you have on your taskbar? I had a lot and to the point I didn't see an option to do any resizing and the quick launch icons were just getting smaller. But maybe I'm missing something
See the bottom of the picture. About 10. I've never seen them get smaller and I've never tried to increase their size, but I'm sure I can make the taskbar bigger and there should be no reason for the icons to get smaller if I provide enough real estate.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
See the bottom of the picture. About 10. I've never seen them get smaller and I've never tried to increase their size, but I'm sure I can make the taskbar bigger and there should be no reason for the icons to get smaller if I provide enough real estate.
I dunno. My experience is that make icons larger in Win 10 isn't really that much larger when there are a lot of icons.

Thanks for suggestion, but I'm not going to fiddle around again as I kind of like the 7+ Taskbar Tweaker program for commonly used, but not too many quick launches and then put less commonly used ones in a shortcut folder.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:15 AM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
I didn't see an option to do any resizing and the quick launch icons were just getting smaller. But maybe I'm missing something
Right click the toolbar and uncheck the "Lock the toolbar" item.

Now, hover over the top edge of the toolbar until you see the resizing pointer.

Finally, left-click-and-drag the top of the toolbar to resize it.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:11 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Right click the toolbar and uncheck the "Lock the toolbar" item.

Now, hover over the top edge of the toolbar until you see the resizing pointer.

Finally, left-click-and-drag the top of the toolbar to resize it.
That adds a row to the taskbar, on my Win 10. It may not be the effect he is looking for.

On a 2048-wide screen, I have about 30 items pinned to the taskbar (small icons). There is room for about 10-12 more horizontally. On the right are pinned folders, and small area for the system tray.

Capture1.PNG

I now recall that I eliminated the search box, which took up too much space. When I first upgraded, I read articles to find ways to customize taskbar. It took awhile. This may be one I looked at:

https://www.pcmag.com/article/355897...ows-10-taskbar
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That adds a row to the taskbar, on my Win 10. It may not be the effect he is looking for.

On a 2048-wide screen, I have about 30 items pinned to the taskbar (small icons). There is room for about 10-12 more horizontally. On the right are pinned folders, and small area for the system tray.

Attachment 31220

I now recall that I eliminated the search box, which took up too much space. When I first upgraded, I read articles to find ways to customize taskbar. It took awhile. This may be one I looked at:

https://www.pcmag.com/article/355897...ows-10-taskbar
With the instructions on your linked article, maybe I successfully add a second row to to the default Win 10 taskbar. I couldn't for the life of me find how to do that before.

But in the meantime, I kinda like your Progries and Shorties approach which seems clean in itself and I'm leaning towards using this method regardless -- using the taskbar for common launching, and a folder of shortcuts for ones not used as often.

My attachment shows what I got so far in my Progries . Thanks to everyone with their tips.

As suggested, I put my shortcuts in folders, used irfanview for icons and Progries and Shorties shortcut folders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shortcuts.jpg (70.3 KB, 1 views)