Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Ah the myth of the TX hill country.

Every bit as hot as the coast and every bug that bites lives there.
+1

Some that don't live here pass through and bite, too. And all of them suck.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

NB, san marcos, boerne, Wimberley, all nice spots tho

Old 05-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Several of us have recommended the state of WA. I suggest that the OP plan several relatively long term visits to each of the areas of the state mentioned and look around. Keep in mind the fact that east of the Cascade Mountains is a high plateau. It is dryer, hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I recommend you buy or borrow "Weather of the Pacific Northwest" by Cliff Mass, PhD.

FWIW mosquitoes are not a problem except around mountain lakes in the spring (the fish need something to eat). Rattle snakes can be found in the central and eastern areas of the PNW.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wimberley will be a nice place again someday but they are still recovering bodies at the moment.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:20 AM   #65

yes that's horrible - friends of a friend were the ones that died in that house on the blanco last weekend, just terrible

one thing about TX, best food on the planet IMO

the food in the PNW isn't nearly as good, well maybe except for the seafood - the texmex here is just plain horrible and the BBQ is a joke, I miss those gigantic head-on shrimp at fiesta for $7 a pound

PNW has great wine though. The regular/craft beer is about the same as TX.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #66
Dryer sheet wannabe

As a related aside, it also seems to me that there's a connection between states that have a high income tax and ones that overwhelm their citizens with rules, regulations and a generally in your face attitude. NY and CA are two examples that immediately come to mind.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javeline86 View Post
As a related aside, it also seems to me that there's a connection between states that have a high income tax and ones that overwhelm their citizens with rules, regulations and a generally in your face attitude. NY and CA are two examples that immediately come to mind.

Oh, bruther. Here we go again.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #68

Quote:
San Marcos is the fastest growing city in the country, and New Braunfels and Boerne are also in the top 10. May be worth considering if you don't want explosive growth where you live.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #69

Quote:
Generally it's because most people in the state want it that way. Different strokes and all. That's why we are free to "vote with our feet".
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:53 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
On the flip side, there is also a connection between taxes and the public services those taxes are able to provide. California raised taxes on the wealthy not too long ago, while Kansas has cut income taxes. If you only look at income taxes and not budgets and services, that is only considering one side of the equation.

California's Budget Surplus Soars to New Heights - School Benefit
California's budget surplus soars to new heights; schools to benefit - San Jose Mercury News

Education Latest Target of Kansas Budget Cuts
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/us/politics/education-is-newest-target-of-kansas-budget-cuts.html
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
in thread before Porky
Old 05-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I assumed this thread would go there sooner than this.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Some that don't live here pass through and bite, too. And all of them suck.
Well, don't forget snakes, bears, horned toads, and assorted varmints. nobody wants important elements left out...
Old 05-30-2015, 09:48 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

What's wrong with horned toads? They never hurt anybody. I think they're sort of cute. And the squirting blood out of it's eyes defense is pretty wild.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
What's wrong with horned toads? They never hurt anybody. I think they're sort of cute. And the squirting blood out of it's eyes defense is pretty wild.
Just a failure of imagination, I guess, hence the "assorted varmints". You're right, they are cute. I could live with replacing the toad with skunk.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:45 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
When my ex-wife did that to me, I didn't think it was cute...
Old 06-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #77
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm-7 View Post
If you are looking at Wyoming consider the SE corner of the state (Laramie, Cheyenne, Wheatland, Torrington). Reasonable real estate prices and close to major cities in Colorado. Downside of the northern part of the state is that it may be too conservative for most people from NYC.
I don't mind the political landscape one bit, but the scenery in the Cheyenne/Laramie is far from gorgeous according to all the photos I've seen. If I'm mistaken or if there is a pocket of beauty in there somewhere, please do correct me. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:02 PM   #78
Dryer sheet aficionado

Let's get the facts straight on Wyoming

In my humble opinion North Central Wyoming is the best place a person can retire or raise a family. Keep hearing this nonsense of harsh/frigid winters and that is just BS. Might have been true 40 years ago but not today. Sure we can have snow and cold but it does not last. You will never see me mowing my lawn 12 months a year. Don't have to worry about the smog either. Big Horn National Forest has 100's of miles of great access. Good hunting, fishing, ATV, snow machining, not to mention fresh air. Third generation born and raised for the past 64 years and lovin every day of living here. I sell real estate so don't listen to me. Wyoming is not for everyone but that's the reason it's such a great place. Just sayin.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:40 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar View Post
In my humble opinion North Central Wyoming is the best place a person can retire or raise a family. Keep hearing this nonsense of harsh/frigid winters and that is just BS. Might have been true 40 years ago but not today. Sure we can have snow and cold but it does not last. You will never see me mowing my lawn 12 months a year. Don't have to worry about the smog either. Big Horn National Forest has 100's of miles of great access. Good hunting, fishing, ATV, snow machining, not to mention fresh air. Third generation born and raised for the past 64 years and lovin every day of living here. I sell real estate so don't listen to me. Wyoming is not for everyone but that's the reason it's such a great place. Just sayin.
A number of friends of mine went to the Big Horn mountain trail run a couple weeks ago (various race lengths up to 100 miles) and raved about it. 2nd year they've done it and they are trying to get more of us to come out next year. I haven't heard talk of any of them moving there but they sure do enjoy the race, the scenery, and the people around there.

It's not the SE corner that was being talked about though, since you brought up getting facts straight!
Old 06-30-2016, 11:21 PM   #80

Suggest you check out eastern Tennessee, near Knoxville. No state income tax (although % & Dividends are taxed), inexpensive real estate, at the foot of the Great Smokey Mountain national forest, beautiful lakes & rivers, very mild four season climate, outstanding health care, big name university, and more diversity than you'd think. DW & I lived there for 4 yrs and almost stayed for FIRE but, in the end, decided to move to be closer to long term friends.