Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Looking younger--would you if you could?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Looking younger--would you if you could?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-daughter.html

Interesting article. I showed it to my wife and daughter (and her friends). Interestingly my wife was able to pick the mother out (by her hands) whereas my daughter and her friends all chose the daughter as the older one!

While I think both the mother and daughter look hot....I guess I just have an appreciation for an older woman who accepts her age and lives within the constraints of that age. For me I would rather look good for my age then look like I was 20 years younger.

what say you all?
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Background : I am 50 years 6 months old. My raven hair is migrating to a nice salt/pepper and I have a few under the eye wrinkles but otherwise wrinkle free. I am using eye cream to slow down the process by keeping the skin supple with moisture. I like the way I look and would rather go back to w*rk than go through plastic surgery of any kind. I maintain my weight and am finally <groan> doing real exercise to help firm areas up. I can still wear a miniskirt and tank top and not look ridiculous.
Gravity is starting to affect...ahem...certain things. So be it. It's nothing a camisole worn a size smaller can't solve.
My Mom was still turning heads at age 74. That will probably be the case with me if my DNA can be relied upon.

All that being said...my first impression was the mother may be insecure about her age and overall appearance. I read the entire article to see if the mother had poor self image issues. It seems she was with partners who placed a high premium on physical appearance and body condition, or at least she seemed to think so.
Women are under a lot of pressure to have physical beauty in society. Sad that some of us succumb to it...and at great cost emotionally and financially.
Her results are fabulous. It seems to have bolstered her self confidence. If that is what she needed, then bully for her.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I can still wear a miniskirt and tank top and not look ridiculous.
This post is meaningless without photos...
Old 04-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This post is meaningless without photos...
Ever been to a NY deli?

Old 04-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I look young, compared to, say, the pyramids...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Janet sounds like a lunatic, but she certainly got a lot for a relatively small amount of money. Pounds 300 ($450) for lip injections? In the US you couldn't get your corns pared for that.

If she can simulate class she should be able to snag some unsuspecting guy with a good bank account.

Money well spent, even if she is a nutter.

Ha
Old 04-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I'm 58 & ~8 months; I think about pull and snip sometimes. Don't know how much good it would do. Have seen too many pictures of such gone bad.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

How much effort and how much cost? I think that regardless of the politically correct statements about lookism, we ALL want to look as good as we reasonably can.

It's only when it becomes obsessive to the point of being self destructive that vanity becomes a problem, IMO.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

A fifty year old who wants to look like her daughter, that's a little to weird. Why fashion yourself after someone else. Thats almost as weird as the lady who had all the plastic surgery to look like a barbie doll.

Most women would like to look younger than they are, but to strive to look like your child is strange.

I guess I have the money to do all those thing if I felt the need to turn the clock back from almost 60 to fortyish, but I will not. I like myself to much to be someone I am not. I remember back in my younger days when I would see a much older woman trying to look young and she always looked kind of pathetic to me. Grannies in mini-skirts and spandex, gasp, not me.

I have to much respect for myself to become a sideshow attraction.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

IMO, if a person would feel more confident and happy inside to have a little nip/tuck/slice/dice...I say go for it. But at the end of the day, they will still be the same age.

I keep going back to the quote..."beauty is in the eye of the beholder". If a person finds beauty in me, that's fine. If they do not, well, that's ok too.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My physical reality is that I gained and lost ~80 pounds. That leaves a mark.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I personally would not spend money to look better, but I do strive to look the best I can for my age. Both my wife and I are 49 and will turn 50 this year. We both work out a fair amount and both are within the top 20% for our age group--and that is sufficient for me.

I buzzed my salt and pepper hair short--I refused to do the comb-over! And plugs or a toupee was never in the cards. I even stopped dyeing my goatee, it seemed rather vain after awhile.

My beautiful wife still looks beautiful to me, a few more gray hairs here and there, a few wrinkles here and there, but all in all quite a catch for me!

I do try and take care of myself and look good, but I can't and won't compete against an 18 year old. But I will look good compared to other men my age. And I can live with that.

But I also can't judge this woman, personally I am glad I haven't chosen this and I am glad my wife hasn't chosen it either. But to each their own I suppose.
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My pot belly is not near as good as some of the guys I see around Tractor Supply and Walmart that look in their 60's like me.

But I'm growing more and more partial to Kansas City BBQ and trying harder.

Relaxed fit bib overalls still look a little bagey on me but I shall get there.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The gal's 94YO mom had a skin cancer on her back removed - they took a great 4" long football shaped patch, drew her back skin together and sewed her up. I figure it was kind of a dual purpose operation as it pulled up a lot of loose skin. Of course now her boobs point to east and west rather than straight ahead.....
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have no problem with people trying to beat the age monster, however I think there is a fine line between doing it in a good way and going totally overboard. I would have to agree the weirdest thing about this story is the way the mother reinvented herself as a duplicate of her daughter. If she had been enhancing herself I would be more comfortable with her actions.

However, I would never say never to the idea of having the old nip/tuck done. I am only in my 40s, however one thing which I hate as I grow old is becoming invisible. I was never a nominee for Miss World, but I did ok in my time. Some days it's hard looking in the mirror and wondering what the hell happened. I guess it's just a reminder of time ticking by.

Probably what scares me the most about these surgeries is the possibility that they could go wrong. I'm too chicken to even try Botox because I hate injections. I've watched a few face lifts etc. being done on various documentaries and it scares the crap out of me. I think the silliest thing out there is liposuction, instead of spending the money on surgery why not hire a personal trainer and a chef to kick you into shape?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
The gal's 94YO mom .... Of course now her boobs point to east and west rather than straight ahead.....
I thought at that age they pointed straight down.

As to the original question, gimmee a break!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Sure I like to look younger but I'm thinking it over. I can buy a $54 theater ticket today or go with the oldies and students 1/2 hour in advance and buy a $10.00 rush ticket. This only works on flops or odd-ball plays, and I'm betting on that for today's selection. Theater is in a neat park and it's a beautiful spring day, can't lose no matter what I look like.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I would like to BE younger. However, as long as I am stuck being 60, I'd just as soon look like a healthy, vibrant 60 year old woman.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I could immediately tell the mom from the daughter in the photo.

Poor daughter--maybe she should try looking like 12?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Sooo - healthy as a horse and tough as leather only works for Men?

Women must suffer the the curse of 'Purty' no matter what their age?

heh heh heh - no equal rights amendment there - eh.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote