Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nothing will improve in this area until the banks and credit bureaus have more skin in the game.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 09:08 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
The IRS has to assume that everyone got hacked so that would be silly to need to notify them. 150,000,000 people is half the population.

I think it is time we stopped using SS# for identification and credit reporting. Even yahoo mail requires more security now than 9 digits
Will be interesting to see how the IRS handles this. Will they require everyone to use a postcard PIN? To be continued, I guess.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

So EFX is down some 13% in after hours. I might buy some puts tomorrow because this baby is going down some more.
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

It was only a question of time. With the credit bureaus collecting so much information on all of us, they are the ideal target.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:47 PM   #45

Quote:
"Bloomberg reports that three Equifax senior executives sold shares worth almost $1.8m in the days after the company discovered the breach – but before Thursday’s disclosure. That’s bound to fuel anger from customers who will want to know why."
Seems like pretty obvious insider trading. Will be interesting to see if it gets prosecuted.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:53 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Maybe EquiFax should change it's name to EquiLax?
Old 09-08-2017, 05:13 AM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Maybe EquiFax should change it's name to EquiLax?
Trademark that!
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:11 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Okay, so I click on the EquiFax link to check if my info was compromised. Firefox flags the site a phishing and deceptive. I don't think the site is phishing since in the news. But still... .

Checked and got the result of, as Maury Povich says, "I am NOT the father".

In other words, looks like not impacted .
Old 09-08-2017, 07:28 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Thinking about it overnight, I think this event will actually greatly increase the earnings of all three major credit reporting agencies.

The reason is the $10 to freeze your credit and $10 for each temp thaw/refreeze.

If only 10% of the 150,000,000 people decide now to freeze their credit, and do about three thaws a year like we have, then you are talking an increase in revenue of $900 million a year. FOR DOING NOTHING

Might actually be time to buy Equifax stock on a dip.
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:19 AM   #50

Not impacted... whew. I think I'll still enroll in the credit monitoring service, since it's free, unless there's some sort of downside to it that I'm not aware of.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

There's also this!

https://twitter.com/kyshoc/status/906028906855096320

Sneaky SOB's!
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

i'm impacted and I currently have a protection account with equifax
Old 09-08-2017, 08:32 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I have a credit freeze with the Big Three but got the bad news message others describe above.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had free credit monitoring for at least 4 years now due to places I've had business with getting hacked including the DoD. They all send you a letter of apology with the info to sign up for a year of free credit monitoring. At some point, I assume, things are going to get very bad for me but so far I haven't had any issues.
Johanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanson View Post
I've had free credit monitoring for at least 4 years now due to places I've had business with getting hacked including the DoD. They all send you a letter of apology with the info to sign up for a year of free credit monitoring. At some point, I assume, things are going to get very bad for me but so far I haven't had any issues.
+1

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:20 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Disappointing?!?!?! Is that the best adjective they can come up with?

How about something like "We have just made the lives of 143 million people a lot more difficult by miserably failing to prevent or quickly detect and stop this violation of our security. We made matters worse by waiting over a month to tell you about it thus further risking your financial security and trashing any remaining trust you may have in us. The Chairman, Execs and Board of Directors are now being instructed in Japanese art of Seppuku."

If you have not already done so, Freeze your credit at all three major credit bureaus at once. Presumably that still works properly. But, then again... who knows for certain anymore?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Nothing will improve in this area until the banks and credit bureaus have more skin in the game.
I was joking about Seppuku, but it certainly would put some 'skin in the game' - quite literally.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Thinking about it overnight, I think this event will actually greatly increase the earnings of all three major credit reporting agencies.

The reason is the $10 to freeze your credit and $10 for each temp thaw/refreeze.

If only 10% of the 150,000,000 people decide now to freeze their credit, and do about three thaws a year like we have, then you are talking an increase in revenue of $900 million a year. FOR DOING NOTHING

Might actually be time to buy Equifax stock on a dip.
After this debacle, there will probably be a push to lower or eliminate fees on credit freeze. If your identity has been compromised by Equifax's failure to protect your data, could you imagine having to pay them money to freeze/thaw your credit? And why am I required to do business with this company in the first place?
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Seppuku for the top brass maybe?
Removing top brass doesn't solve the problem it just removes a target. Seriously, any business can get hacked. No matter how careful they are. Credit monitoring? I generally pass on the offer, I want monitoring that rejects the fraudulent charges. CC companies already do that.

Rita
Old 09-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Great, you can't really protect yourself these days. One day there will probably be a whopper hack like we've not yet seen, just a matter of time. Even though we never "enrolled" with them, Equifax site said DW and I were both affected so we signed up for the "free" security. Probably a ruse to get more info...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote