Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Free monitoring ISN'T a joke. It's a profit center.

What's being offered is free enrollment in their monitoring service. No charge for the first year, then MONTHLY charge (over $25/month) if you fail to cancel before the 13th month. The monitoring itself may be a joke, but the tricky "free" offer is a money grab.
Wow, you get beat up 2 times, first your info is pout there to get abused, then you get abused for the monitoring.

Hey any nice vicious shark attorneys out there? I must admit I make a beautiful witness on the stand. The juries loved me. One DA said "stop waving your arms all over the place when you talk, your distracting them". I told him "are you kidding me? Wake up they are eating out of the palm of my hand, they love me." End of trial: GUILTY.

Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Unless you're behind a VPN, your IP address is revealed to each site you visit. There are even IP address echo sites that display your address back to you. One is at http://checkip.dyndns.org/

Yep- I've gotten kicked out of e-Rewards surveys while logging on from outside the US with the message that they weren't looking for answers from my location. I even got a different selection of Netflix (and couldn't get some of my favorites) while logging on in Central America. No court order needed.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yep- I've gotten kicked out of e-Rewards surveys while logging on from outside the US with the message that they weren't looking for answers from my location. I even got a different selection of Netflix (and couldn't get some of my favorites) while logging on in Central America. No court order needed.
Sure, there are lots of sites that change your experience based on where you are. When we were in Europe last month, DH was complaining that he kept getting google.dk or google.no instead of google.com. I also found out that you cannot check into a Southwest flight if you're in Sweden. I had to download the Opera VPN app for my iPad and set it to a US location before I could complete the check-in.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is time for some real penalties that hurt for companies that fail to secure data properly. Half the penalty should go to those whose data was compromised, half should go to increased enforcement (incl rewards programs) to track down the hackers/leakers/thieves).

Yes, the individuals doing the stealing are ultimately responsible. But when these companies start having to pay real fines (or try to get in$urance to cover the fine$/monetary damage$), then they'll get serious about protecting data.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #125

I have already applied to a law firm to be a part of a class action suit but have not heard anything back yet. They probably want plaintiffs that have in the last month or so been subject to identity theft.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
One DA said "stop waving your arms all over the place when you talk, your distracting them". I told him "are you kidding me? Wake up they are eating out of the palm of my hand, they love me." End of trial: GUILTY.
You volunteered to be the impartial arbitrator in the other thread and the key witness for the prosecution in this thread. Be careful they may revoke your retiree status.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #127

If you have a credit freeze on all the agency, you should not worry.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
If you have a credit freeze on all the agency, you should not worry.
I'm guessing that very few of the 143 million people have their credit frozen. This is going to be chaos for years that will ultimately affect everyone. Plus, even if you are one of the few with a freeze, that won't stop a fraudulent tax return... nor will it stop someone from using this treasure trove of personal information to convince your brokerage's phone rep to reset the password on your login. DW and I have freezes in place, but I still think there's plenty to worry about.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #129
Full time employment: Posting here.

I already have credit monitoring from Experian so it seems to me no point in signing up for the Equifax service, right?
Old 09-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
Agreed. IIRC, companies can blackout Execs from selling shares in this type of situation. Apparently EFX did not have a blackout in place when these Execs sold. EFX has also issued a statement indicating the Execs did not know. This stuff is to easy to check. And all will be deposed in various lawsuits. Dollars to donuts, the insider trading goes away.

But, lots of other stuff to complain about. And some of it is not going away. Rage on.

FN
I have to agree with you. Those execs would have to be the stupidest morons in the world to try insider trading on this info! Especially for such piddling amounts.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

Anybody else watching CNN for hurricane coverage today? I swear every other commercial is for something to do with credit protection, identity theft management, etc. I even saw one where they will search "the deep web" once for free (you pay for it after that) to see if your info is out there.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:53 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
You volunteered to be the impartial arbitrator in the other thread and the key witness for the prosecution in this thread. Be careful they may revoke your retiree status.
LOL,
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
But when these companies start having to pay real fines (or try to get in$urance to cover the fine$/monetary damage$), then they'll get serious about protecting data.

The way I see it customers and shareholders ultimately pay fines. Jailtime might be a better deterrent.

If the Execs sold without knowing of the hack, it's not illegal but it's actually worse as it indicates complete lack of responsibility by top management. It was their job to know.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:25 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I'm guessing that very few of the 143 million people have their credit frozen. This is going to be chaos for years that will ultimately affect everyone. Plus, even if you are one of the few with a freeze, that won't stop a fraudulent tax return... nor will it stop someone from using this treasure trove of personal information to convince your brokerage's phone rep to reset the password on your login. DW and I have freezes in place, but I still think there's plenty to worry about.
I think it can go a long way to preventing these things as the IRS uses credit bureau info to verify identity - if no access due to freeze, no verification - in addition to things like two factor verification with your brokerage account.

It's hard for someone to fraudulently file in your name without having access to prior tax info. It's really tough to get that from the IRS if you have your credit frozen.

My broker doesn't do anything without notifying me by email, and requires two factor - sending me a verification text via my phone - for various sensitive actions and access from an unknown computer, and even from overseas access.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think it can go a long way to preventing these things as the IRS uses credit bureau info to verify identity - if no access due to freeze, no verification...
I saw you make a similar statement in the credit freeze thread...

Quote:
...If a user claims they have lost the password, the credit freeze does not allow the bank to use credit bureau info to verify your identity...

...A credit freeze will prevent thieves from accessing your IRS records to commit tax fraud, and SS records if you haven't already set up online accounts with those agencies...

...it will prevent someone from claiming they have lost their password and an agency using credit bureau information from verifying your identity with the credit freeze in place...
Can you elaborate on this? You seem to be suggesting that access to the credit bureau identity verification questions is blocked with the freeze (e.g., Which of the following 5 cars have you owned in the past?). If so, that's very good information. But I'm quite sure that DW and I have encountered those questions multiple times over the last few years even with our credit records frozen at all 3 bureaus.

Also, in 2014, I had a fraudulent tax return filed using my name, address, and SS#. I had my credit frozen at the time. I don't understand how a credit freeze would prevent that. I don't answer those identity-verification questions to file a return.

Also regarding lost password at a financial institution, if I click on "I forgot my password," I don't ever recall having to answer those questions. Just some personal information (like DOB or SS#) along with answer to a security question. Although it's been many years since I've done this because I use a password manager now. So things may have improved in that regard.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
I have to agree with you. Those execs would have to be the stupidest morons in the world to try insider trading on this info! Especially for such piddling amounts.
Although that could work as a perfect defense and allow one to commit the perfect insider trading crime.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #137

Also, according to the LA Times:

Quote:
In some cases, Equifax says, the security questions and answers used on some websites to verify usersí identity may also have been exposed. Having that information in hand would allow hackers to change their targetsí passwords and other account settings.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I saw you make a similar statement in the credit freeze thread...

Can you elaborate on this? You seem to be suggesting that access to the credit bureau identity verification questions is blocked with the freeze (e.g., Which of the following 5 cars have you owned in the past?). If so, that's very good information. But I'm quite sure that DW and I have encountered those questions multiple times over the last few years even with our credit records frozen at all 3 bureaus.

Also, in 2014, I had a fraudulent tax return filed using my name, address, and SS#. I had my credit frozen at the time. I don't understand how a credit freeze would prevent that. I don't answer those identity-verification questions to file a return.

Also regarding lost password at a financial institution, if I click on "I forgot my password," I don't ever recall having to answer those questions. Just some personal information (like DOB or SS#) along with answer to a security question. Although it's been many years since I've done this because I use a password manager now. So things may have improved in that regard.
Lost or reset my password at a financial institution - did you have that password emailed to you? The email connection with your financial institution along with the specific security questions you had to answer are outside the purview of the credit bureaus so won't be impacted by this breach.

Those credit bureau questions are supposed to be blocked if you have a credit freeze. That's the whole point and is what prevents fraudulent opening of new accounts.

There are various ways someone can access info to commit tax fraud: stolen W2s, hacked Turbotax accounts, phishing the victim. If you had already been efiling and had passwords set up, it would be difficult for someone to fraudulently file on your information unless they had specific information about your prior return. But one major vulnerable area was the IRS using credit bureau questions to verify identity and allowing online access to tax records, and my understanding is that freezing your credit blocks that.

Name, address, SS# is not sufficient to eFile a Federal fraudulent tax return, and I don't think it was in 2014 either. You had to have prior year return AGI as well. Something that could only be obtained by someone hacking a online tax return account, hacking a tax preparer, getting a copy of an old return somehow, impersonating you to the IRS. The IRS has cleaned up their act a lot but credit freeze should have blocked the last scenario.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #139

Biometrics are coming, folks, solely because they will make everyone perfectly safe.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:52 PM   #140

Quote:
...Those credit bureau questions are supposed to be blocked if you have a credit freeze. That's the whole point and is what prevents fraudulent opening of new accounts...
I thought the whole point was to prevent access to the credit report required by lenders before issuing a loan. From my experience, the identity-verification questions are not blocked by the freeze. If you have some specific information to the contrary, that would be very good information to have.

Regarding the fraudulent tax return, it was paper-filed with only my name, address, SS#, and a bunch of bogus data (large refund) on Form 1040EZ. It was accepted by the IRS and entered into my records. It wasn't until my own electronic filing was rejected that I became aware of the fraud. So again, the credit freeze did not prevent the fraudulent filing.