Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I thought the whole point was to prevent access to the credit report required by lenders before issuing a loan. From my experience, the identity-verification questions are not blocked by the freeze. If you have some specific information to the contrary, that would be very good information to have.

Regarding the fraudulent tax return, it was paper-filed with only my name, address, SS#, and a bunch of bogus data (large refund) on Form 1040EZ. It was accepted by the IRS and entered into my records. It wasn't until my own electronic filing was rejected that I became aware of the fraud. So again, the credit freeze did not prevent the fraudulent filing.
Right, fraudulent paper filing does not require additional info. I think the IRS has gotten better about this and better about handling PINs for folks who have been victims in the past. A lot more fraudulent returns were efiled.

All the articles I've read on Krebs-on-Security indicated that using credit bureau information for identity verification was blocked by a freeze. For example - people reported that they could not open an SS.gov or IRS.gov account without unfreezing credit with a particular bureau. They even mentioned which bureau.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2017, 09:52 PM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Unless you're behind a VPN, your IP address is revealed to each site you visit. There are even IP address echo sites that display your address back to you. One is at Current IP Check
It's a lot more complex than that, for example everyone in a company office building will show the same IP addresses as they all go through the same set of routers. So until you got the logs of the company in question, if they kept them, you couldn't tell which employee went to a site on the outside.

If at home you have a static IP assigned by your provider, then it's easier.

If you have dynamic IP's assigned by your provider which is the common cheapest way then the IP used by me tonight, could be assigned to someone else 2 days from now.

Currently I'm on VPN and just looked up my location from your link, it's pretty funny really:
Attached Images
File Type: png 2017_09_09_22:45:31_001.png (96.9 KB, 32 views)

Old 09-10-2017, 06:40 AM   #143

Equifax has updated the advisory.
Quote:
1). YOU CAN DETERMINE YOUR STATUS IMMEDIATELY
Some consumers who visited the website soon after its launch failed to receive confirmation clarifying whether or not they were potentially impacted. That issue is now resolved, and we encourage those consumers to revisit the site to receive a response that clarifies their status.

2). NO WAIVER OF RIGHTS FOR THIS CYBER SECURITY INCIDENT
In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Someone is going to need expensive lawyers for this.
Yes. Paid for by the company, not the executives. They may get fired, but will get a 8-figure parachute package. And be hired on to another 8 figure job by the end of the year.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:52 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Yes. Paid for by the company, not the executives. They may get fired, but will get a 8-figure parachute package. And be hired on to another 8 figure job by the end of the year.
For exercising stock options? I doubt a company would pay for those legal expenses. I also doubt these individuals would find similar employment elsewhere. Golden parachute? Perhaps, but more often than not, the only real cash incentive open to a departing exec is vested options not yet exercised.

This may indeed be a case of bad timing, but they are plain SOL, and my guess is they will spend at least the entire proceeds from the stock sale on attorney fees.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The nightly news I was watching said about 50% of the US population got breached.

Haven't checked yet. Well, for me, my SSN already got hacked by the IRS hack a few years ago, so ... I've kinda been through this rodeo before .
On a very small sampling population, I can concur with the 50% number. I was possibly compromised, DW was not.

I signed up for the "free" reporting service. I really don't expect much to come of it.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
Free monitoring service?! What, proffered by the same folks that allowed the data breach to happen?
Precisely. Why the data wasn't encrypted infuriates me. Data security 101.

Also, are we sure that the hacker got in through Experian's firewall? I could envision a scenario where one of Experian's "providers" (credit card companies, mortgage lenders, etc.) got hacked and the perp found their way into Experian - the real mother lode.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
I have to agree with you. Those execs would have to be the stupidest morons in the world to try insider trading on this info! Especially for such piddling amounts.
It's amazing what stupid things many dishonest people do. Remember the story of the two guys who broke into a camera store, and took photos of each other with the Poloroid demo camera on the store shelf. Seeing nothing but a weird mess on the ejected photo they departed leaving the developing pictures behind.

I remember a policeman who told me that 'if half the criminals were as stupid as the other half, they would all be in jail'.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post

Also, are we sure that the hacker got in through Experian's firewall? I could envision a scenario where one of Experian's "providers" (credit card companies, mortgage lenders, etc.) got hacked and the perp found their way into Experian - the real mother lode.
IME You will find very little data at rest that's actually encrypted! While the technology works it severely limits the access.

The details I saw queries that tested equality were fine. Range queries generated table scans. That's a big deal with tables containing millions and billions of rows.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Most of my data is out in the wild thanks to an insurance company that couldn't be bothered to encrypt my personal data. Now they want me to sign up for their Medicare supplement plan.

At the very least they should go on nationwide TV, take a deep bow, apologize to the American People for the damage done to them, and then donate 90% of their total compensation for the last five years to charities and other good causes. Hey, it beats ritual suicide.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Another good question we need to ask ourselves is:

When are we going to stop accepting one year of nearly worthless credit monitoring service as compensation for our information being scattered around the world to various criminal organizations?

IMHO, giving us one year of service is hardly enough compensation. In fact lifetime service is not good enough since all it tells you is that the horse has already been stolen from the barn. Good luck with that!
Old 09-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What makes you think the data wasn't encrypted?
Old 09-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Was thinking the same.

Reminds me about the news when Ashley Madison got hacked. Their ads were about how discreet and secure their customers information was.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
What makes you think the data wasn't encrypted?
I guess I am not 100% sure the data wasn't encrypted, but I would have expected that if it was, Equifax would have stated so in their responses. It would only be in their best interest to state that the data was encrypted, if in fact it was.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:24 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
For exercising stock options? I doubt a company would pay for those legal expenses. I also doubt these individuals would find similar employment elsewhere. Golden parachute? Perhaps, but more often than not, the only real cash incentive open to a departing exec is vested options not yet exercised.

This may indeed be a case of bad timing, but they are plain SOL, and my guess is they will spend at least the entire proceeds from the stock sale on attorney fees.
Sorry but I'm afraid while it's nice to imagine they won't make out like the bandits that they are, they've already made their money. A minor inconvenience at the end of a career but I'm sure they'll be OK. Certainly better than 99% of us. Just an observation from someone who has seen this far too many times.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:20 AM   #156

I have frozen my credit report at all 3 companies and signed up for the free premier monitoring at Equifax.

Now thinking of Lifelock

These data rich companies really need to improve their security.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I have frozen my credit report at all 3 companies and signed up for the free premier monitoring at Equifax.

Now thinking of Lifelock

These data rich companies really need to improve their security.
If you have frozen your credit report, you don't need Lifelock.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #158

So of course, me and the bride were "impacted", by the breech. We just finished enrolling in the free 1 year monitoring. Any one that gets a good lawyer email me or make a link, Ill join the lawsuit just to torture them. I want lifetime lifelock insurance.
Retired October 2008, Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life.
Blue Collar Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #159

I just ordered a BOA credit card for travel, and opened a new brokerage account for a $600 reward.

I might as well do it before the bad guys do....
Old 09-12-2017, 08:20 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Too many threads on credit freezes . Saw a post I wanted to respond to but couldn't find the post again.

Anyhow, on the subject of PINs and credit freezes, Is the PIN provided by the credit history places like Equifax changeable? Or is that a one shot deal?

If not changeable, isn't that about as unfriendly as using a SSN to identify people?

Might be overkill, but for the sake of security, I stored my credit freeze/unfreeze PINs as an encrypted file on a flash drive. Previously had stored notes section of encrypted password manager program along with logins. Better to not leave more breadcrumbs than needed . Especially since I don't plan on freezing/unfreezing to often.