Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
YAY! Mine was not impacted. Maybe because I have a freeze on?
No, mine is impacted and I have a freeze on for two years.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 05:56 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a freeze and was affected too. Darn !!

I just had a fraudulent charge on my main Visa card over the weekend and had to cancel it. Waiting for the new one...darn thieves.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:58 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Just wait until the theives phone up SS, change your address, and apply for SS if you already are not getting it.
What is the email for congress, time they did something important !!
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:59 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Free monitoring service?! What, proffered by the same folks that allowed the data breach to happen?

Perhaps those in the know might offer a quick primer on how to freeze one's own credit.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #25

So in response to a breach, they put up a NEW website with a related name and ask people to put in their personal information. If I were trying to make a phishing exploit, this would be a good way to collect personal information.

It is generally accepted to be a BAD PRACTICE to ask people to put personal information into a website not related to the core, verifiable domain of the affected company. ANYONE can register any variation of equifaxsecure.com equifaxrecovery.com equifaxsafe.com or any other similar name. Actually asking people to use a website like this further undermines good online security and makes it easier for scammers and phishing exploits in the future. Equifax should be skewered.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:03 PM   #26
Administrator

This FAQ thread may be helpful

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...acy-76730.html
Old 09-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
Free monitoring service?! What, proffered by the same folks that allowed the data breach to happen?

Perhaps those in the know might offer a quick primer on how to freeze one's own credit.
See this article from Consumers Union Consumers Union’s guide to security freeze protection | Consumers Union

You have to do it at each credit bureau and there's a fee depending on your state law.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Even though my three credit agencies are frozen, they still stole my information and credit card numbers. Maybe they can use my credit cards, but they won't be able to buy a house in my name (I hope).

I am sure losing faith in these so called credit agencies.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
News report https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/cred...consumers.html

Looks like they've waited 5 weeks to tell us. Now we'll wait and see what they suggest we do - besides subscribe to their credit protection service.

This is bad news. Consumers need some type of protection from this.

ETA - Equifax web site set up for consumers to verify if they are affected. https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com. The link includes the Equifax press release
I can you tell if you have been impacted? I went to the site and it just comes back like others saying remember 9/12/17 as you will not receive reminders. Am I to assume this means I fall into the impacted group?
Old 09-07-2017, 06:21 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I can you tell if you have been impacted? I went to the site and it just comes back like others saying remember 9/12/17 as you will not receive reminders. Am I to assume this means I fall into the impacted group?
I got the same message. I assume it means I was affected.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

The instructions say you will be enrolled in TrustedID regardless of your status, so how can that be an indication of compromise or not?
Old 09-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Yes, I believe it means you were affected. That's the message I got as well.

When I put in DH's info it says:
Thank You
Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information was not impacted by this incident.

Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier
Then when I click the button for him, it gives a date of 9/15. So I would say if you are not seeing the "not impacted" message, then you were indeed impacted.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Read the first sentence copied from a google search about the breach:

"Bloomberg reports that three Equifax senior executives sold shares worth almost $1.8m in the days after the company discovered the breach – but before Thursday’s disclosure. That’s bound to fuel anger from customers who will want to know why."

Wow is all I can say...........
freetodream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetodream View Post
Read the first sentence copied from a google search about the breach:

"Bloomberg reports that three Equifax senior executives sold shares worth almost $1.8m in the days after the company discovered the breach – but before Thursday’s disclosure. That’s bound to fuel anger from customers who will want to know why."

Wow is all I can say...........
Someone is going to need expensive lawyers for this.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #35

Looks like Equifax was breached

Well I'm apparently on the list as well. To rub salt in it, apparently I can't put a freeze in place either. Transunion locked up and said I had to call. Can't get to a live body. Equifax online freeze system 'lost network connection' at the same step 3 times in a row. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #36

I put my info in and it said, I was not in the effected group. I put DW's in and it sent me to the sign up sight. SO, I put my number in again and it sent me to the sign up site. Not sure they have their Stuff together!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:09 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Every time I have to come up with answers to "security questions" that are impossible to remember (my childhood best friend? C'mon, I went to seven different schools!), change a password to be at least twelve characters long and incorporate an uppercase letter and a nonalphanumeric character, and certify that I am not a bot by clicking on blurry squares that include street signs, I think about how all my information is just going to be stolen in a massive hacking of digital records, no password required.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Our credit has been frozen for about two years now. Tonight, I just added fraud alerts on our credit cards that didn't have them already. Do we REALLY need to sign up for the "free" year of credit monitoring from them?

I wonder if the *breach* included stealing our usernames and passwords that we used to lock/freeze our credit with them?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:51 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news. But when I got my SSN hacked from the IRS Transcript hack, I had to send in a form to the IRS so that in the future, for taxes, I get a postcard with a PIN required for filing.

So, I'm thinking, with the Equifax breach, if your SSN got stolen, don't you have to let the IRS know too. Otherwise, couldn't anybody with your SSN fill out a fake tax return?

Don't quote me ... Just thinkin' aloud .
Old 09-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

The IRS has to assume that everyone got hacked so that would be silly to need to notify them. 150,000,000 people is half the population.

I think it is time we stopped using SS# for identification and credit reporting. Even yahoo mail requires more security now than 9 digits
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote