Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #101
Gone but not forgotten

Possible good news... This could bring to light the CFPB proposed action to remove binding arbitration from the law.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b658c138e2bb

IMHO the most egregious evil law ever promulgated by big business.

Quote:
This language is commonly known in the industry as an “arbitration clause.” In theory, arbitration clauses are meant to streamline the amount of work that's dumped onto the court system. But the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau concluded in the summer that arbitration clauses do more harm to consumers than good — and the agency put in place a rule to ban them.

“In practice, companies use these clauses to bar groups of consumers from joining together to seek justice by vindicating their legal right,” Richard Cordray, the CFPB’s director, told reporters in July, according to my colleague Jonnelle Marte.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Site request last name and I think last 6 of SS. How do they know I looked. That is the same information they lost!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Possible good news... This could bring to light the CFPB proposed action to remove binding arbitration from the law.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b658c138e2bb

IMHO the most egregious evil law ever promulgated by big business.

That is if that board is in existence in the future... some people are wanting to shut it down... IIRC, there is also a lawsuit saying that it is illegal as to how it was set up...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #104

Quote:
I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Executives are often encouraged to put a trading (10b5-1) plan in place to dispose of their stock and it could be that the transactions occurred automatically because the stock hit a preset price.
Equifax has announced that these sales were NOT part of a plan already in place by any of the three executives involved.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Equifax has announced that these sales were NOT part of a plan already in place by any of the three executives involved.
Then I'd hate to be in these executives' shoes...
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Site request last name and I think last 6 of SS. How do they know I looked. That is the same information they lost!
The IP address of the device you used to look routes to your home state, heck, to your home computer, rather than one in Russia, China, etc.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Also, is there a good way we could drive our state to make the credit freeze and thaw free instead of letting them charge a fee? Is the lobby just too strong in most states?
+1. I'm subject to being victimized by the negligence of these three credit reporting firms and the other companies that use their services. There is a way I can reduce this vulnerability (credit freeze), but (in my state) they are allowed to charge for this. Heck, they should pay >me< if I'm willing to manually freeze and unfreeze my credit info--and they probably would, if they (and merchants, etc) were made to suffer the real cost of their negligence.

The stuff that is being stolen is valuable and vulnerable because these these companies collect it and aggregate it. It does little good for me to diligently shred my paper statements etc if these guys are going to leave the same data vulnerable by the terabyte.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:06 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
......... Execs selling shares are required to make filings with the Feds. That's how the public found out. They did not hide this. My guess is it is just dumb bad luck. EFX has been trading at multi year highs. It was probably a good time to sell a few shares. .............FN
You are joking, right? Half the population of the US affected and you think this just zipped over their naive little heads?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:58 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
+1
Yeah, could be the hackers checking to see if Equifax has caught on to the extent of the hack.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:00 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The IP address of the device you used to look routes to your home state, heck, to your home computer, rather than one in Russia, China, etc.
They will need a court order to get that info.
Assuming someone didn't use VPN from a server in Russia, or Greece.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:23 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You are joking, right? Half the population of the US affected and you think this just zipped over their naive little heads?
They sold $2M total, averaging several hundred thousand each. Not sure I would take on the Feds and public wrath to dispose of a small percent of my holdings. Two kept over 90% of their EFX holdings. If it is insider trading, they don't understand the process. The stock dropped 14%. By selling, they prevented total stock losses of $280k, averaging $93K each. I doubt Sr. Execs risk their job and prison time for $93K.

And I did say, "Rage on".

FN
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post

They sold $2M total, averaging several hundred thousand each. Not sure I would take on the Feds and public wrath to dispose of a small percent of my holdings. Two kept over 90% of their EFX holdings. If it is insider trading, they don't understand the process. The stock dropped 14%. By selling, they prevented total stock losses of $280k, averaging $93K each. I doubt Sr. Execs risk their job and prison time for $93K.

And I did say, "Rage on".

FN
This reminds me of the classic defense, "I only stole a little, I could have stolen much more".
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #113

I checked 2 times, I got 2 different answers. I have no idea If I was hacked or not.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #114

Free monitoring is a joke, don't fall for it.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
They will need a court order to get that info.
Assuming someone didn't use VPN from a server in Russia, or Greece.
Unless you're behind a VPN, your IP address is revealed to each site you visit. There are even IP address echo sites that display your address back to you. One is at http://checkip.dyndns.org/
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I checked 2 times, I got 2 different answers. I have no idea If I was hacked or not.
Yes, it's essentially useless. See Krebs article for more details - https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/...dumpster-fire/
Old 09-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Agreed.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
This reminds me of the classic defense, "I only stole a little, I could have stolen much more".
We will find out if any of these three were engaged in insider trading. Last time I looked, two congressional committees, the CFPB and several State AGs are set to investigate. Stay tuned.

FN
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #119

Quote:
Free monitoring ISN'T a joke. It's a profit center.

What's being offered is free enrollment in their monitoring service. No charge for the first year, then MONTHLY charge (over $25/month) if you fail to cancel before the 13th month. The monitoring itself may be a joke, but the tricky "free" offer is a money grab.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #120

I read that Equifax will notify affected people via mail. I wonder how long it's going to take to notify 143 million people?
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote