Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Looks like Equifax was breached
Old 09-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
Administrator

Looks like Equifax was breached

News report https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/cred...consumers.html
Quote:
Credit reporting firm Equifax says data breach could potentially affect 143 million US consumers
Equifax said data on 143 million U.S. customers was obtained in a breach.
The breach was discovered July 29.
Personal data including birth dates, credit card numbers and more were obtained in the breach.
Looks like they've waited 5 weeks to tell us. Now we'll wait and see what they suggest we do - besides subscribe to their credit protection service.

This is bad news. Consumers need some type of protection from this.

ETA - Equifax web site set up for consumers to verify if they are affected. https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com. The link includes the Equifax press release
Quote:
quifax has established a dedicated website, www.equifaxsecurity2017.com, to help consumers determine if their information has been potentially impacted and to sign up for credit file monitoring and identity theft protection. The offering, called TrustedID Premier, includes 3-Bureau credit monitoring of Equifax, Experian and TransUnion credit reports; copies of Equifax credit reports; the ability to lock and unlock Equifax credit reports; identity theft insurance; and Internet scanning for Social Security numbers – all complimentary to U.S. consumers for one year. The website also provides additional information on steps consumers can take to protect their personal information. Equifax recommends that consumers with additional questions visit www.equifaxsecurity2017.com or contact a dedicated call center at 866-447-7559, which the company set up to assist consumers. The call center is open every day (including weekends) from 7:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m. Eastern time.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Complimentary monitoring for one year. Then they presumably begin to charge you. What a crock.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for posting this.

Looks like my data was compromised - when I submitted the info to see if I was affected, I was taken immediately to a page that gave me an enrollment date for their free monitoring program
Old 09-07-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very poorly designed website. When I put in my info, I just get a message that says "Thank you! Your enrollment date is 9/12/2017..." but no indication that they think my info was actually compromised. The only way I know it was is because when I put in DH's info I get something that says "We don't believe your information was compromised."
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Very poorly designed website. When I put in my info, I just get a message that says "Thank you! Your enrollment date is 9/12/2017..." but no indication that they think my info was actually compromised. The only way I know it was is because when I put in DH's info I get something that says "We don't believe your information was compromised."
Yup. Same here. That means your info was compromised. We need to enroll and activate the TrustedID service for more detail.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yup. Same here. That means your info was compromised. We need to enroll and activate the TrustedID service for more detail.
What a freaking joke. I can't even enroll for 5 days? WTF?

And to top it off they say you must remember, you will not get any reminders.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #7
Administrator

I think free monitoring services for one year is not meaningfully helpful. After that year, the personal info - SS#, DL#, birthdate and such, is still out there, unchanged. The risk is forever.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #8

I don't see any advantage to the offer. At this point I'll just keep my credit frozen with all three providers, have minimal transactions and hope for the best
Old 09-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #9

Well, damn. I was compromised. All my security precautions for nothing.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #10

Same here, for both me a DW. My congresscritters are going to hear about this!

(For all the fat lot of good I think that will do.)
Old 09-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The nightly news I was watching said about 50% of the US population got breached.

Haven't checked yet. Well, for me, my SSN already got hacked by the IRS hack a few years ago, so ... I've kinda been through this rodeo before .
Old 09-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #12

Dang that's gonna hurt my 100 shares of EFX tomorrow AM. Fortunately, I've lightened up over the last year or so. It's been a great performer.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't checked yet, but I have my credit frozen (locked) now for the last two years. If you have your credit locked does it make sense to enroll in their so-called service they are offering? I mean. how much do we have to do here?
Old 09-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #14

YAY! Mine was not impacted. Maybe because I have a freeze on?
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
I don't see any advantage to the offer. At this point I'll just keep my credit frozen with all three providers, have minimal transactions and hope for the best
Yeah, that's some protection thankfully. It's maddening that an outfit like Equifax which should have the most protective security against just such a thing gets breached. Maybe there's no such thing as security in this day and age.

Apparently, some equifax executives sold stock after the company learned of the hack. Wonder if they'll get nailed? Probably not.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

In other news, Equifaux stock soared today on announcement of a new $99 per year credit protection service...
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
In other news, Equifaux stock soared today on announcement of a new $99 per year credit protection service...
Now that's just mean....
Old 09-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
YAY! Mine was not impacted. Maybe because I have a freeze on?
Haven't checked yet. Don't feel like messing with this tonight. My credit is frozen so hopefully, won't be impacted.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I think free monitoring services for one year is not meaningfully helpful. After that year, the personal info - SS#, DL#, birthdate and such, is still out there, unchanged. The risk is forever.
+1
They should provide free monitoring for life, and free correction of any mis-use for life as well.
Why was this information not encrypted ?
I think the executives should go to prison for 10 years as well, to be sure the other reporting agencies get their act together.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Both my wife and my credit is frozen and we were affected according to that link (at least we were given the Sept 12 date).

Compounded with my problems today with the rental eviction fake report, this has me fuming mad.

I just paid Transunion $10 today to temp thaw my credit. This is what needs to change. Not some trial period of credit monitoring but the fee to freeze and unfreeze needs to go to $0. ZERO!

I have had to pay about $50 this year in temp thaws. We need to get a law on this mess.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote