Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You guys all have great points- and tomorrow the thread titles will be as screwed up as they often are now.

If someone managed to become a millionaire mangling the language, what would make us expect anything to change?

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

haha versus LOL!
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Why use preventative when preventive will do?
When it's a noun. See
Quote:
Familiarity information: PREVENTIVE used as a noun is uncommon.
What does preventive mean? definition, meaning and pronunciation (Free English Language Dictionary)
Old 09-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #24

While we are at it, could we not pronounce the "t" in "often?"
Did I place the "?" correctly? Did I place "correctly" correctly?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

So what luzer got lose and loose wrong?
Old 09-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #26

Three cheers for the grammar police!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #27
Administrator

Never use a big word when a diminutive alternative will suffice.

Plain Language Humor: How to Write Good
Old 09-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #28

And I'd like to add -

your is possessive as in your shirt looks nice

you're is a contraction for you are

their is possessive as in i like their car

they're is a contraction for they are

there is a reference to location as in the book is over there

too is used to indicate "also" as in I saw that too

hopefully we know how to use to and two!

Your used as a contraction and there used instead of their is rampant on boards. I don't know (not no) if people are so poorly educated that they are not aware of this or if it is just lazy typing and not realizing they made a mistake. Either way this drives me crazy, yes it is a short trip!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
No, the "t" pronunciation is vulgar.
Quote:
Often AWF-in or AHF-in. Do not pronounce the t.
Before I give you my two cents on the t in often, let’s take a look at what various authorities have said about it since the late 18th century.
John Walker (1791), whose Critical Pronouncing Dictionary was one of the most respected and popular references both in England and America well into the 19th century, declared that “in often and soften the t is silent.”
“The sounding of the t,” proclaims the legendary H.W. Fowler in Modern English Usage (1926), “which as the OED says is ‘not recognized by the dictionaries,’ is practised by two oddly consorted classes—the academic speakers who affect a more precise enunciation than their neighbours…& the uneasy half-literates who like to prove that they can spell….”
“The t in glisten is silent, even as it is in castle and often,” says Frank H. Vizetelly (1929), editor of Funk & Wagnalls New Standard (1913), “yet one occasionally hears pedants and provincials pronounce them [GLIS-ten] and [AWF-ten]. No pronouncing dictionary with a reputation to lose ever sounds the t in these words.”
“You don’t want a t in here any more than in soften,” advises Alfred H. Holt (1937).
Webster 2 (1934), which sanctions only AWF-in, notes that “the pronunciation [AWF-tin], until recently generally considered as more or less illiterate, is not uncommon among the educated in some sections, and is often used in singing.”
According to Random House II (1987),
OFTEN was pronounced with a t- sound until the 17th century, when a pronunciation without the (t) came to predominate in the speech of the educated, in both North America and Great Britain, and the earlier pronunciation fell into disfavor. Common use of a spelling pronunciation has since restored the (t) for many speakers, and today [AWF-in] and [AWF-tin]…exist side by side. Although it is still sometimes criticized, OFTEN with a (t) is now so widely heard from educated speakers that it has become fully standard once again.
“Nowadays,” says R.W. Burchfield (1996), editor of the OED 2 (1989), “many standard speakers use both [AWF-in] and [AWF-tin], but the former pronunciation is the more common of the two.
What is going on here? After two hundred years of censure, has the t in often scratched and clawed its way back into acceptability? I would caution those who might be consoled by the comments of Random House II and Burchfield to heed the admonitions of the past and avoid pronouncing the t. Current dictionaries, including Random House II, do not give priority to AWF-tin, and it is much less common in educated speech and far more often disapproved of by cultivated speakers—particularly teachers of English, drama, and speech—than Random House II makes it appear. In 1932 the English lexicographer Henry Cecil Wyld called AWF-tin “vulgar” and “sham-refined,” and today the bad odor of class-conscious affectation still clings to it as persistently as ever. As if that were not enough, analogy is entirely unsupportive: no one pronounces the t in soften, listen, fasten, moisten, hasten, chasten, christen, and Christmas—so, once and for all, let’s do away with the eccentric AWF-tin.
Do You Speak American . What Speech Do We Like Best? . Beastly | PBS
from The Big Book Of Beastly Mispronunciations: The Complete Opinionated Guide For The Careful Speaker by Charles Harrington Elster
Old 09-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
No, the "t" pronunciation is vulgar.
It's not vulgar, it's just the way some folks were taught to pronounce the word "often".

First the grammar guard, now the pronunciation police?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

And never trust anyone that uses the word utilize.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It's not vulgar, it's just the way some folks were taught to pronounce the word "often".
Does the fact that some folks were taught something show that it isn't vulgar?
Quote:
Definition of VULGAR

a : generally used, applied, or accepted
Vulgar - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Old 09-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #33

Mom is that u?
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Did I place the "?" correctly? Did I place "correctly" correctly?
Or the "h" in "habanero"?

I put the "?" after the closing " because the "?" ends the sentence. But what do I know?
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Does the fact that some folks were taught something show that it isn't vulgar?
You used vulgar in a condescending way and I objected, and still do.

There are many ways to pronounce and spell words, including "often". So to you, redduck, and everyone else who thinks there is only one way to pronounce "often", I can only say the silent "t" is off-ten the preferred but not the sole way of pronouncing that word.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #36

Please kindly remember that some participants to the discussions on this website are non native speakers. I am a non native English speaker and apologize if some of my posts in the past have been unclear or have included typos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post

Sorry for the interruption. Now back to your regularly scheduled program......
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Please kindly remember that some participants to the discussions on this website are non native speakers. I am a non native English speaker and apologize if some of my posts in the past have been unclear or have included typos.
Same here. I speak southern.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So to you, redduck, and everyone else who thinks there is only one way to pronounce "often", I can only say the silent "t" is off-ten the preferred but not the sole way of pronouncing that word.
Inasmuch as I earlier quoted an extended account of the history of the two pronunciations of "often", I don't see how you could reasonably conclude that I think there is only one way to pronounce it. Once upon a time it was said with "t", then the "t" was lost in pronunciation, then some people, seeing it in the spelling, started to say it again. That's what happened.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Really? I'd never have guessed! Your posts are always concise, grammatically correct, and to the point.

Now should I have put in that last comma, or not?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #40

Well, I almost always put that last comma in, but, I think it might kinda' be incorrect (or at least not as correct as leaving it out).
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote