Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-24-2009, 11:53 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm very sorry. It's one of the hardest things we have to face. With other humans it's out of our control. But as a loving and responsible pet owner you have to make the call. I've done it several times, and each time was devastating. Only love could make us go through with it. Take care.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2009, 05:22 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry for your loss. I like your posts with pictures and stories of your pup. I'm sure you'll cherish the fond memories of your time together.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:58 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Sorry Dawg. She looks just like my oldest (I have two Goldens and provide doggie day-care for my son's). I will face the same thing soon with Bridie and am not looking forward to it.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Only time can heal the pain of the loss of a loved one. Then you will be left with the great memories you two shared. My deepest sympathies.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I'm still thinking about you Dawg. Hang in there bud.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #46
Confused about dryer sheets

So very, very sorry for your great loss. What a beautiful picture you shared. The pain dulls, but never really goes away...best to you...
cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been through this more times than I care to count, and each time is as hard as the times before. My deepest sympathy on the loss of your beloved friend...and remember that all dogs go to Heaven (cats, too!)
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #48

My deepest condolences on the loss of your friend, Dawg.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #49
Dryer sheet wannabe

It is so very painful, and they will always be in your heart. We had to have our Golden put down almost a year ago and still talk about her almost every day. To get through it I had to remind myself that she had a very good life, and that with her health problems it would have been selfish to make her suffer any longer. It sounds like you gave your girl the best life a dog could hope for. My deepest sympathy, JanF
JanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Just re-read all the condolences. Very nice and I appreciate it. I still feel like Mike Tyson hit me in the stomach and bit off my ear, but doing OK.

An old work buddy called and told me he was fostering a rescued golden retriever mix, about 8 months old. I might go take a look next week. Not sure I'm ready to jump back in this quick, but giving a home to a dog in need could be rewarding too. We will see.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:04 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, Dawg, that puppy sounds wonderful. "Fluffy" was a lunch hour purchase from the SPCA the week after we lost BW who had the same markings as Fluffy. I found BW in the basement and she stayed with us for four years. Still keep a photo out of the kitten Fluffy in front of a shrine for BW. Many people say you should wait but the puppy needs you. No regrets here, Fluffy is a great cat from a fostering system.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:07 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Just re-read all the condolences. Very nice and I appreciate it. I still feel like Mike Tyson hit me in the stomach and bit off my ear, but doing OK.

An old work buddy called and told me he was fostering a rescued golden retriever mix, about 8 months old. I might go take a look next week. Not sure I'm ready to jump back in this quick, but giving a home to a dog in need could be rewarding too. We will see.
Go for it Dawg! She would have wanted you to help a colleague of hers. Wouldn´t be jealous at all, being just 8 months old.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

You love dogs, this 8 month old doggie needs a home. No rocket science there. Go at your own speed.

When my 13 yo Shepherd Husky mix Jake passed, I waited about 2 months before I went to the Humane Society "just to see".
Uh huh.
There was Rocket Dog was all by herself in a large area. No other littermates. She had been found in a grocery store parking lot.
All it took was one look at those puppy dog eyes...
She was not meant to replace Jake, but she was just the medicine I needed. She still cracks me up at 10 years old.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #54
Dryer sheet wannabe

Dawg, Four months after our Golden died (at 14 1/2 years), we lost our 15 year old mixed breed dog. Our plan was to be sad and pathetic for awhile, but a co-worker had a dog coming into rescue from a neglect situation and could we just foster her? Well, we did and ended up adopting her. She's a delight and doesn't take anything away from the memory of the ones we lost, they are all such individuals. No one can say what's best for anyone else, but this was the right thing for us.
JanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:48 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Dawg, the "wuss" feeling is normal.....at least it is for me. I've shed more tears over pets than humans. Hang in there.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Didn't read all the posts in this thread 'cuz it would have made me sad.
So true, when ours passed away I didn't want to go through it again but guess what.....

Sorry to hear Dawg.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
I've shed more tears over pets than humans.
Believe me, I understand. I cried for days after losing a baby macaw to an incurable congenital disease some years ago. Pets tug at our hearts.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

When our 18 year old cat died 2 years ago, we were devastated. It took several months before we could even think about adopting another loving fur ball again. Then we heard of kittens needing a home and we went to take a look at them. DW didn't feel ready to jump right back in. But as soon as we saw those adorable kittens there was no turning back. The "girls" actually chose us. One climbed on my shoe and wouldn't come off. The other one hid in DW's pant leg. They both came home with us and we never regretted our decision. We still think fondly about our 18 year old cat. She was special and will live forever in our hearts and minds. But life must go on, and so many pets need a good home... We can't deny them that opportunity.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
Dawg, the "wuss" feeling is normal.....at least it is for me. I've shed more tears over pets than humans. Hang in there.
Me too.