Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Badger,
Sorry for your loss. Lost many in the last year including a son to suicide. It is very hard for awhile. Grief is overwhelming. As the time moves on you will reflect on things you did together. Most on this site like to be in control, but the are some things we can do nothing about, life is short, God Bless

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Badger, sorry for your loss, there were two friends I lost last year and I understand the pain, it does get better. pletal, your post brings tears to my eyes. Bless you for having the courage to talk about it.
Best wishes
MRG

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Old 01-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is nothing like a death, to make us more aware of how precious life is, and how important each minute must be.
Losing a close friend is in many ways like losing a parent or a child, as the closeness of experiences and common understanding is so near to your own life.
After 24 years of living in a senior community, and seeing nearly half of my friends now gone, it doesn't get easier.
Good to take the time to remember the good times. It helps.

Sometimes even in the darkest night a candle glows:
A good friend and a pillar of our community came down with colon cancer 2 year ago, and after weeks and months of treatment here in Illinois went to his other home in Arizona... for what proved to be a last ditch operation (colostomy) stomach removal. We all respected his privacy and stayed way for what we knew would be a final reckoning. No one heard from him, as he wanted to avoid putting his burden on others. We just assumed....
On last Friday while in the local supermarket, my DW brought me around to a different aisle and asked if I knew "who this is?" The 6'2" man infront of me bore a resemblance, but was 15 years younger and 130 lbs. lighter... but for sure, it was Bill.... I'm not given to crying, but the tears rolled down my face as I hugged him...
Some things just happen, and once in a while, they are great!

We must share the gladness with the pain...
Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletal View Post
Badger,
Sorry for your loss. Lost many in the last year including a son to suicide. It is very hard for awhile. Grief is overwhelming. As the time moves on you will reflect on things you did together. Most on this site like to be in control, but the are some things we can do nothing about, life is short, God Bless
So so sorry for your loss, pletal--just no words. God bless you too.

Losing friends at any age leaves us with little empty spaces in our lives where they used to be. I miss them all.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

As others have said -sorry to hear of your loss. Time sure marches on...A good friend of mine had a heart attack on Weds but made it - 2 stints later he is home waiting for the 9ers game! We really need to appreciate the time we have together -
time is all we have, till it is up. Another great argument for ER
Old 01-06-2014, 07:02 AM   #26

Thank you all so much. Your kind words and that you took the time to post and offer comfort help more than you can imagine.

Cheers!
Old 01-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Very sorry for your loss. It's not easy, but learning not to be angry and frustrated over things you can't do anything about is a very worthwhile pursuit. Be glad you shared the friendship for 46 years and reflect on all the wonderful experiences. In time those memories will crowd out the sadness.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #28

Badger,
I am very sorry to hear about losing your friend. I hope the coming days bring you healing and peace.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:41 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Badger
I join the chorus in expressing sorrow. My Dad lived to be 95 and witnessed the deaths of all his friends. Eventually he stopped going to the funerals.

I have lost many working mates during the last 15 years. It never gets easier. But be an active helper to the survivors. I helped the wife notify all his working friends in the second last one. It was cathartic.
Keith
Old 01-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletal View Post
Badger,
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your son. Hugs and prayers to you.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
and I'm feeling a little down. We spent 4 great years at college and remained friends over the past 46 years. I suppose I'm getting to the age I need to expect this to happen more often if I last long enough. I'm not good at how to deal with things like this. It makes me angry and frustrated as well as sad because there isn't anything I can do about it.

I just didn't know anyone else to tell who might understand.

Cheers!
I lost a wonderful friend a few years ago. She was witty,pretty and full of sass. I didn't know her as long as you did. However, I am forever grateful for the times we had.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #32

So sorry Badger for the loss of your friend. And for you pletal for the loss of your son.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
My Dad lived to be 95 and witnessed the deaths of all his friends. Eventually he stopped going to the funerals.
I recall, as a kid, my grandmother, (who also lived into her 90s), telling me that she no longer read the local (small town) obituaries....because "Everyone I know (knew) has gone".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote