Join Early Retirement Today

Lost camera, need new camera
Old 10-13-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Lost camera, need new camera

I am seriously bummed because I lost our nice little sony camera when we were in Door County Wisconsin. I am mostly bummed because it had a big storage card and it probably had 200 pictures on it that I had not yet downloaded.

I need a new camera. I am a terrible photographer. I just don't have an eye for it. I want an easy to use, fit in your pocket camera that takes pictures quickly. I hate long delays because I lose my shot.

Any recommendations?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My wife carries a Canon SD 1100 IS. It's pretty compact, has a good battery life, and a nice LCD screen. It feels pretty responsive to me and has produced some decent shots. It has face detect, which automatically looks for faces in the scene and focuses on those.

Canon Powershot SD1100 IS digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review

Plus, it comes in lots of colors!

Should be available to try out at your local Best Buy or fine camera retailer.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #3

I've had four digital cameras and my absolute favorite is the Casio Exilim. I have the 8.1 megapixal version (the EX-Z850), but the newer versions have a higher megapixal resolution. What I love about it is the battery life -- I can take 500 or so pix without recharging -- and the pre-set scene selections, everything from a special portrait setting, scenery,children, sports setting, low light (candlelight), pets, nature, autumn leaves (?!), splashing water, sunsets, night scenes, fireworks, and even a special setting to take photos for posting on eBay. You just select the best shot setting and go. And it's got the best image stabilization feature, a good size screen and a regular viewfinder, all in a package about the size of a deck of cards. I've enlarged several photos to 11x14" and they've turned out great.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm happy with our Canon A560, but I'm sure there are better choices.

Here's a tip that may or may not have helped you. For the very first picture in your camera's storage card, take a shot of a piece of paper that says something like:

This camera belongs to Blah Blah
My phone number is 555-555-1212
My address is:
Blah Blah
Reward offered for storage card
No Questions asked.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm with Al on this one. We have an older Canon A510 and it has been a great little camera. Simple to operate, takes great photos, doesn't eat up batteries. Only negative is the delay time between shots but for someone not taking action photos that isn't likely to be a problem.

BTW, the "A" designation in Canon digital cameras signifies it uses regular AA batteries.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Do you use rechargeable batteries?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a Canon A590 -- great pics, easy to operate, and inexpensive (compared to my previous Sony). I like that it uses SD memory cards and AA batteries plus the option for different lenses. I bought some rechargeable batteries but regular AAs seem to last a while.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I use eneloop NiMH batteries, and they work great. Lots of pictures per charge, quick to recharge. Keep a spare pair in the case.

I got a good deal on eneloops at Costco -- included charger and other stuff, but was cheaper than just batteries online.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
My wife carries a Canon SD 1100 IS. It's pretty compact, has a good battery life, and a nice LCD screen. It feels pretty responsive to me and has produced some decent shots. It has face detect, which automatically looks for faces in the scene and focuses on those.

Canon Powershot SD1100 IS digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review

Plus, it comes in lots of colors!

Should be available to try out at your local Best Buy or fine camera retailer.

+1. I like mine - it's fast & easy and has tons of features if you want to get complicated. Like T-Als idea a bunch. LiOn battery stays up a long, long, long time. The gal's Nikon S52 was less expensive, is thinner, has a sweet leather case and a bigger screen. We agree the Canon's images are better.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Are AA batteries an advantage? That sounds good because they are easily available, but I have no idea.

I am looking for a camera too, and I am hoping to find one for under $200 that is easy to use, and that doesn't have a long delay when taking a photo (so that I could get shots from the car as we zoom by, get the expression on someone's face before it changes, and so on). Wishful thinking, I suppose.

I have started reading the reviews at cnet.com but need to read more.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Do you use rechargeable batteries?
Yes, I have rechargeable AA's. The nice thing about having a standard size battery is if you forget to recharge you can buy AA's anywhere.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We enjoyed our Pentax Optio W10... until I sat on it... and we're enjoying our Olympus Stylus 1030SW.

Shock- and water-resistance are important criteria for us.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

I just recently bought the Cannon A590 IS . It takes good pictures and it simple to use but it is not really small which I did not care about since I mostly use it for my ebay selling . $149.00 at Amazon
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
I have a Canon A590 -- great pics, easy to operate, and inexpensive (compared to my previous Sony). I like that it uses SD memory cards and AA batteries plus the option for different lenses. I bought some rechargeable batteries but regular AAs seem to last a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I just recently bought the Cannon A590 IS . It takes good pictures and it simple to use but it is not really small which I did not care about since I mostly use it for my ebay selling . $149.00 at Amazon
That sounds really great! The price is right and I don't really care about the size either. I'll put that one at the top of my list. Thanks!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #15

When I look for a camera, there are several things I consider.

AA batteries - (use rechargable and stanard)
Lowest lag time - time between punching the button and taking the picture This use to be a problem. I don't know if it still is
Biggest Optical zoom
Standard storage medium ie compact flash SD card. I don't like Sony because they use their own memory stick. Always seem to be more expensive.

I don't worry too much about mega pexils anything over 3 or 4 is great and just about all cameras come with that now.

Also you can get a camera that is too small.

And last I like a view finder and display. I shoot through the view finder and watch the display. Saves the battery.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #16

I bought this Sony Cybershot recently and so far I love it:

Amazon.com: Sony Cyber-shot DSCW120MDG/P 7.2 MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom with Super Steady Shot (Pink) with LCS-TWE/PI Carrying Case and MSRW-MD1/P Memory Stick Duo Adaptor: Electronics

It's really small, and fits great in my small purse. It has an LCD screen but ALSO has a viewfinder for taking pics when it is really sunny. It also takes great little movies.

I bought a larger memory card to go with it.

It uses a rechargeable lithium battery.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

PC world had the cannon A590 listed as the best point & shoot .

PC World - Chart - Top 10 Point-and-Shoot Cameras
Old 10-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #18

I also have a Cannon, think it's in the 500's in terms of version. Easy to use, very good pictures.

I bought a spare battery for recharging, but the regular battery doesn't take long to recharge, so haven't used the spare yet.

Definitely buy online, the difference w/ a box store was $100+ when you consider taxes, base price etc...!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

For you folks with the canon 590, how easy is it to put in your pocket and carry around? Or do you need to have it in a bag. How about the Canon Powershot SD 1100?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
For you folks with the canon 590, how easy is it to put in your pocket and carry around? Or do you need to have it in a bag. How about the Canon Powershot SD 1100?
It is too big for your pocket . I usually throw it in my purse . If I wanted a camera to put in my pocket I'd pick something else.