Join Early Retirement Today

Lost the car keys. Now what?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
Administrator

Lost the car keys. Now what?

First time this has happened to us. We saw them on the table, then they were gone. We do have the spare set, one key and the remote, so we can get around, but I need to have a spare, so if we don't find the keys this weekend on Monday I will replace them.

How does one go about replacing the keys and remote without spending a bundle, and can this be done without going back to the original dealer?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Administrator

Bummer. We went to the dealer when that happened. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There are apparently plenty of businesses that will do this if you don't want to go to the dealer. I didn't know that! Interesting. I have no idea about the cost.

replacing a lost car remote - Google Search=

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB
First time this has happened to us. We saw them on the table, then they were gone. We do have the spare set, one key and the remote, so we can get around, but I need to have a spare, so if we don't find the keys this weekend on Monday I will replace them.

How does one go about replacing the keys and remote without spending a bundle, and can this be done without going back to the original dealer?
I recently "lost" my honda civic keys down a chicago sewer. $120 plus tax, yes at a dealer. Apparently there is a chip in many cars' keys that must be dealer-programmed or the car will shut down if you try using a key cut elsewhere. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My son lost my keys last year. We took the spare to the hardware store and had a duplicate made for just a couple bucks. I ordered a remote off Ebay for around $15 I think. To go to the dealer to replace these items would have been closer to $75 - $100. The lost key had a chip. The new one doesn't, but works just fine. You can find instructions on the internet on how to reset your car for new remote.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #6

Depends on the kind of car, of course, but when I lost a Honda key (with built-in remote), I was able to buy a duplicate on eBay. The owner's manual had instructions on how to program it (as long as you still had one original key). This was my previous Honda, so not sure if it's still this way. Check your manual.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #7

You can order a replacement and then program it yourself

Car keys - Remote Keyless Entry Fob Replacement Car Fobs

I had one where the circuit board cracked. Bought the new one online. The googled the programming instruction for the specific vehicle. Usually a matter of turning the ignition in a specific sequence to enter progamming mode, then pressing the fob buttons.

Dealer wanted something crazy like 300-400$ to replace/program

Also if the key is part of the fob you'll have to get the key cut also.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
First time this has happened to us. ...
I predict they are somewhere in your house or even perhaps in the car?

Time to do a house cleaning? Kill two birds with one set of car keys.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I predict they are somewhere in your house or even perhaps in the car?

Time to do a house cleaning? Kill two birds with one set of car keys.
Nice try. The house is spotless. We know the keys are here because the car is in the garage. At least, were here. Could have been thrown out. Or, ghosts of previous owners may be acting up. It is Halloween time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
You can order a replacement and then program it yourself

Car keys - Remote Keyless Entry Fob Replacement Car Fobs

I had one where the circuit board cracked. Bought the new one online. The googled the programming instruction for the specific vehicle. Usually a matter of turning the ignition in a specific sequence to enter progamming mode, then pressing the fob buttons.

Dealer wanted something crazy like 300-400$ to replace/program

Also if the key is part of the fob you'll have to get the key cut also.
Long time ago we (me) broke a remote (Camry), bought a replacement on ebay. It could not be reprogrammed without the dealer, who refused to deal with a remote he did not sell. His solution, back in 2003, was $275. Never replaced it, and I always hated the feeling of no backup plan for the car. So, this time the keys will be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I recently "lost" my honda civic keys down a chicago sewer. $120 plus tax, yes at a dealer. Apparently there is a chip in many cars' keys that must be dealer-programmed or the car will shut down if you try using a key cut elsewhere. Good luck!
They jumped out of your purse, right? $120 is ok with me – at that price I’ll go with the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
There are apparently plenty of businesses that will do this if you don't want to go to the dealer. I didn't know that! Interesting. I have no idea about the cost.

replacing a lost car remote - Google Search=
Good list. Thanks.

We will continue to search through tomorrow. If nothing pops up I’ll call the dealer Monday for a quote and take it from there.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Had a similar situation with my late friends car. Somehow one of her car keys with remote key entry was lost. We looked all over and couldn't find it and finally concluded that maybe it got accidently tossed away (she kept the keys on a table above the trash).

Trying to get a replacement as a PITA and made me want to never get a car with a keyless remote . When we decided, just get a key made without the keyless remote, places (Home Depot, Walmart) couldn't do that. Their repsonses were that it's something you need done at the dealer.

I did one time stop by a local Autozone which advertised about duplicating the keyless entry. I asked about getting a replacement and Autozone said they could do it. (I'm not sure if Autozone really can make a replacement or if one's stuck with the dealer). We never got that far as we decided to just go with the spare and hope that doesn't get lost.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Long time ago we (me) broke a remote (Camry), bought a replacement on ebay. It could not be reprogrammed without the dealer, who refused to deal with a remote he did not sell. His solution, back in 2003, was $275. Never replaced it, and I always hated the feeling of no backup plan for the car. So, this time the keys will be replaced.

Dealer told me the same of course. Nice racket.

Here's the instruction for a camry....

Programming '02 Camry Keyless Entry Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista - Car Questions, Answers, and Discussion
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #12

I needed a replacement chipped key and didn't want to pay the exorbitant charge at the dealer. So I called around to the major locksmith/key shops in my area and found one that could make a chipped key for my vehicle for about half of what the dealer was charging.

I got there, they make the key and hand it to me ...and it is HUGE. It's obviously an aftermarket product and I swear the head of it is 50% larger than the original equipment key.

Needless to say, it has become the spare key that sits at home. I'm happy to have a back-up key but don't want to keep it on my key ring.

omi
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #13

A couple of times I've lost something, like a wallet or checkbook, and looked more than once in the car for it (where it was last seen).

But then the better half goes out there with a flashlight to REALLY look in the car... and finds it.

Good luck.

Also check to see if the keys got kicked under the car or behind a wheel.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #14

Or have you checked the car trunk? Perhaps someone set the down to pick up a bag of groceries or the like, and accidentally locked them in the trunk.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #15

Same happened to me a month ago. A local locksmith cut a new key and 'cloned' the chip ($85). Bought a new fob on ebay ($10 delivered) and programmed it with instructions from the net. This was a Ford with separate key & fob like this.

A also bought DW a newer Ford combo key and fob on ebay like this had the key cut and I programmed key & remote (you need two working keys to do this). That cost under $50, all in.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I've put my keys in a pants pocket. Then undressed and the pants are hung up. The keys fall out of the pocket as I walk off to bed, down somewhere. Could even be they fall into a shoe that's somewhere back in the closet. Things happen.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

I think it depends on the car... After getting a $500+ estimate from the Cadillac dealer, to fix a lock/starting problem, the solution I found was on the internet... The actual problem was in the steering column lock... The tiny sensor wire(s) that read the resistance built in to the key... was broken. For that car, they used different resistance levels, which were listed on-line.
using a meter, the key resistance can be measured
Buying the transistors or diode thingy cost about $2. The switch at the bottom of the steering column can be shorted with that, and then a duplicate toothed key can be used. (without that 'secret' resistor. As far as I could tell with my car, the only thing that changed was that the seat setting and rear view mirror memory settings didn't work with what used to be key 1 and key 2.
Fortunately, the transistor was the one that controlled my settings.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #18

DH's remote would lock but not unlock his Sonata. We bought a new remote on Amazon for $25 but he still had to get it programmed. He found a car repair shop that would program it for $70. The guy tried to program the new one but was having trouble.

For some reason, DH decided to open up his old remote and look at it. He noticed a little magnetic piece of metal had slipped out of place so mechanical contact was not being made when he pressed the button. He push over the little piece of metal and viola! Wasted $25 on the new remote but save $70 on the programming.

His ignition key is the last year of non-chipped keys so we could make additional keys for a buck!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

We haven't lost any keys yet, but somehow (at least) one of them somehow "lost its programming" so we were told(?)

It may have been my fault; I sometimes do carry a small magnet in my pocket, and since the keys are supposedly programmable, that may have been the problem. Key still worked, but set off the alarm every time we opened the door with it manually (PITA).

Good info on in this thread about getting replacements though...

Tyro
Tyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #20
gone traveling

May be its time for one of those belt chains like the bad boy bikers wear to keep track of those keys. In any event, good luck with getting the replacement or finding the lost ones.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote