Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Walt, I'm very glad that it wasn't as bad as it could have been, Mack truck and all.

About this -
3. The insurance is with the same company we have, so this should not be an issue.
Many years ago my brother borrowed my car (with my permission) and had an accident where he rear ended a Corvette, of all things. The other driver had the same insurance as us and that meant that our deductible was waived. Not sure why, but it was a pleasant surprise. I don't know if that's a standard insurance perk, I don't remember it being a feature of our policy.

Nevermind, I see she was not at fault, so your deductible would not apply anyways.

Married, both 61. DH retired June, 2010. I have a pleasant little part time job.
Sue J is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
So happy your wife was not seriously injured! However, speaking as car-phobic me, had I been your wife, I would have felt like I'd been in a serious accident. Understand your beef with SIL, but from a female perspective, take your wife's feelings seriously and pamper her a bit.

palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
It may have been a lousy day, but count your blessings. DW is OK!!! She needs hugs and kisses and flowers. And she will need your support to start driving again.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
"Really bad accident" is a phrase that can stop a person's heart. If used at all, it should be reserved for things that involve shock-trauma, lawsuits, etc.

If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #25

She liked the steak dinner, that was a good move. This morning I made her a chocolate cake. Understand that in this house anything chocolate, especially chocolate cake, "evaporates" very quickly. It wasn't cooled before chunks began evaporating. As most chocoholics know chocolate has amazing curative powers.

The car is fixable and we expect to have it back early next week. DW did not want a new car, saying "It only had 120k miles on it. I was just getting used to it." Yeah, she's a keeper! (DW, not the car.)

Dr. said she's fine, can get x-rays if she wants for peace of mind but didn't see any need for it, and expect some mild soreness for a few days.

Deductible is waived by the insurance co. since they know I'd just file a claim for it anyway so why bother going through the paperwork.

Re one question, on the bike I wear not only a full-face helmet but a full set of mesh and armored riding gear and riding boots.

I will look into the bluetooth phone set for the helmet.

So I think all will be well soon.

Thank you all!
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
This morning I made her a chocolate cake.
You are every kind of awesome Walt. DW is a lucky lady indeed...or should I say smart for picking you out?
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...
SIL is a dope not to have said "DW is OK but she has been in a bad accident." Maybe she did it on purpose.

Call SIL and say "DW got back from the doc and we got some really bad news...the copay went up to $40!"
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...
Any accident that involves a Mack truck is a serious accident. So one vote for insensitive
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #29
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Let us know how you like the Yaris .
On the Toyota Yaris:

The best things about it are the fuel mileage, low purchase price, and tight turning radius (bearing in mind I'm used to driving a full-size extended cab 4WD GMC pickup) and the small size makes it easy to park. The available space seems efficiently used for passengers and baggage. If I lived in a congested city I'd seriously consider buying one for those reasons.

That said, they made no apparent effort at sound deadening; it's like driving in a steel coffee can. I felt and heard every little bump in the road. The radio speakers are tinny even by 1960's standards. I'd replace those right away. This is not the car you want to drive across Texas in. If you do, bring earplugs and/or Excedrin.

The tight turning radius also means that at 70 mph highway speeds steering is sensitive and I can see how a panicked driver would overcontrol and either skid it or roll it. Visibility to the rear is not very good mainly because of the rear-seat headrests but I suppose that's something one can get used to.

It you don't drive long distances at highway speeds, live where parking space is tight, don't care much about a quiet ride, and fuel economy and low price are priorities, it's probably a good buy.

I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is online now   Reply With Quote