Join Early Retirement Today

Low cost dial up Internet Provider
Old 06-12-2007, 12:03 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Low cost dial up Internet Provider

There were some posts awhle back about a low cost internet provider. I tried one of the recommended ones but having trouble on their web site-getting messages on my computer that the security certificate in not safe. (All2Easy)
I have tried Net Zero and Juno and hate it because it is nothing but Banners City. Anyone have any better experience with others? I have DSL for my home, but I use this when traveling sometimes, and my son needs something for occational use.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does your DSL ISP not have roving numbers? I have Earthlink and I know a lot of other ISPs have local dial up numbers you can use when you travel for no extra cost. And you still get your email and your passwords still work.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #3

The $9.95 netzero doesn't have the ads, just the free one.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Check out 550access Cheap Internet Access and Dial Up Internet Access by 550access. They have basic dial up service for $5.50 a month. We have used it for a couple of years for the wife's computer and are very satisfied (considering what we pay). It's fast enough to get e-mail and such. However waiting for web-pages to load can be a challenge compared to broadband.

The wife just uses it a few times a week to correspond with friends and relatives and for that it is just fine.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I have tried Net Zero and Juno and hate it because it is nothing but Banners City.
I've had a Juno e-mail address for over 10 years, for what seems like months before those Hotmail upstarts knew what they were doing... when Juno met Netzero the company seemed to begin losing their way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Anyone have any better experience with others? I have DSL for my home, but I use this when traveling sometimes, and my son needs something for occational use.
My FIL swore by wmconnect.com for nearly six years. For all I know he's still using it on the Mainland. The "wm" stands for "Wal-Mart" and Netscape is the browser of choice. If AOL is "the Internet on training wheels" then wmconnect is the Internet's "Big Wheel" tricycle. However it almost always connected on the first try, it was usually at least 40 kbps (advertised anyway), it rarely dropped out, and it was worry-free to someone who was functionally computer illiterate. It may not be widely available but IIRC it was in the pricing sweet spot of $4.95/month.

I used to ask my FIL how he could put up with such a slow connection, and he'd say "I don't read that fast." Another symptom of the 100% fixed-income portfolio syndrome...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote