Join Early Retirement Today

Love the spin
Old 05-30-2005, 06:32 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Love the spin

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/inter...494871,00.html

Indian call centers are experiencing up to 70% turnovers.

Reasoning is because the american and british callers are intentionally rude to them because of economic problems and fear of job loss. The belief is that the callers intentionally make up very complicated questions to ask so they can then be rude and racist and hang up the phone.

Mmm hmm...i'm sure thats the core problem.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Love the spin
Old 05-30-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When we realize we can't understand them, we hang up and hope to get someone we can understand.* This could go on and on.........
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Banks
The belief is that the callers intentionally make up very complicated questions to ask so they can then be rude and racist and hang up the phone.
I think most of that was in the call center that handles GE appliances...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:35 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Complicated questions like: "When will this be delivered?" "Is this part under warranty?" "How much does this cost?"

Ed
gratefuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:57 AM   #5

My favorite is when you have a software question.* You call tech support, get an Indian that you can barely understand,* has no interest in really helping you, has no idea how to answer your question, and sends you a copy-paste from the knowledge base that has absolutely nothing to do with the question you asked.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:04 AM   #6

I like when they say their name is "Joe" and if you ask them where they are located "Atlanta" righhhhht

Grand Banks this is a no spin zone
Old 05-31-2005, 07:45 AM   #7

Software doesn't work right, manual is poorly written, phone number for tech support is hidden, you have to wade through numerous slow telephone menus, you spend 10 minutes on hold listening to repeated advertisements for the product, you get disconnected and have to start over, you finally get through to someone who is hard to understand, and who knows less about the software than you do. And the callers are irritable?

Old 05-31-2005, 08:31 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Well put....................

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:51 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

We have often joked that they must have a translation list somewhere that looks like this:

Ravi = Richard
Amit = Andy
Kalpeeta = Kathy

And of course their support performance metrics are suffering because of "discrimination" and "complicated questions".
Old 05-31-2005, 11:51 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yep, this was a real head-shaker for me.

Funny part is, it never occurred to me to feel like I should use discriminatory language when irritated at bad, ineffective service delivered to me by people I cant understand. I didnt even know what the term "paki" was and why it was offensive. I'm so much better armed now.

Funny how when something isnt working out, people find the explanation that is least their fault...even in other countries/cultures.

I wish I had the inclination to spend the time to post a voicemail I received some time ago regarding an appliance delivery...yes, from "you know who". I had a bunch of people over the house and we all hovered over the speaker listening to the message left trying to figure out what the person was saying. After 3-4 minutes we determined it was someone calling about an appliance delivery, which I *was* expecting the next day. Whether they were telling me it was going to happen okay or not was never determined.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:05 PM   #11

I am so sorry their self-esteem was damaged. I have seen 20-year family men let go where I work. I expect they would feel real sorry that the person that took their job was having esteem issues. Probably a subject of discussion around the dinner table with their wife and kids. After they figure out how to pay their bills.

I have nothing against the foreign workers getting a job. Doing what they have to do for themselves and their families. They no doubt need a job too and have their own problems. But America first for American companies should be the rule.