Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Lovin' my new Dell laptop
Old 09-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lovin' my new Dell laptop

So after 5 years of service now, my trusty old HP laptop will be accepting a demotion to make room for my uber-fast new Dell Studio XPS.

My old laptop was running Windows XP, and at w*rk we still run Windows 2000 (!!!) so this is my first experience with Vista. I did look at the Macs as well, even went to one of their in store demos, but at the end of the day I wanted all the "stuff" that came in PCs (Blu-ray, full HD, built in TV tuner, etc...).

I thought I'd hate Vista based on all the bad mouthing folks do about it. I have to say I'm lovin' it...super easy so far and I like how customizable everything is. Although it is a little over-enthusiastic on the security front (constantly keeps asking me if I initiated stuff...well, duh, I'm logged in and working, aren't I?) so far I am pleasantly surprised.

The laptop is nice too...very sturdy feeling, beautiful display, and oh yeah...its about a gazillion times faster than my old one.

Anyway I am a happy camper and am planning a cozy weekend alone with my new laptop so we can get to know each other
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did you get a voucher for a free upgrade to Windows 7?

I use Visata also, and like it much better than XP, but I hear Windows 7 is better yet.

Could you post more details about the laptop you bought?

Thanks,

Ha
Old 09-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #3

Yes, it comes with an upgrade to Windows 7, originally I was going to wait but then Dell reduced the price on the line I was looking at. I'll think I'll wait a little while until they get the kinks out of Windows 7 before I install the upgrade. Didn't see an actual voucher in the box but there is still stuff I'm unpacking so it may be in there somewhere.

I ordered the Dell Studio XPS 16 online directly from Dell. Was pretty good, it took them about 3 weeks to ship it though. Loads of multimedia features (blu-ray, full HD, 5.1 audio connections, built in TV tuner, HDMI port, etc...will probably take me a few weeks to figure out all the features...).

Here are the details for the laptop I bought (posted the wrong link originally...): http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/noteb...16&s=dhs&cs=19
Old 09-18-2009, 04:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

canine - I did the opposite of you - I retired my Dell in favor of an HP. It would have taken too long to get the Dell and I got the HP yesterday after ordering it 2 days earlier. Only used it a few hours so I don't have much of an opinion yet. It has Vista, with no bells and whistles, but has better graphics for CAD work.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #5

Ronstar, I guess that is the way the PC universe remains in balance...

Hope you enjoy your new HP as much I'm enjoying my new Dell
Old 09-19-2009, 05:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninelover View Post
Ronstar, I guess that is the way the PC universe remains in balance...

Hope you enjoy your new HP as much I'm enjoying my new Dell
Thanks - I'll enjoy it when I can get the HP popups to quit.

Enjoy yours as well!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks - I'll enjoy it when I can get the HP popups to quit.

Enjoy yours as well!
What are "HP popups"? - ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #8

If I remember my old HP right, I believe Ronstar is referring to all the useless "bloatware" software that HP installs all over their PCs...they pop up will all kinds of "useful" information letting you know "important" updates are available for this software you never wanted, will never use, and then have to take extra time to try and figure out how to uninstall it.

I think most PC makers have this issue but HP is really notorious.

Has anyone figured out how to get Windows Vista to stop with the security alerts asking if you initiated something
Old 09-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #9

control panel -> security center -> other security settings -> user account control

I'd suggest you reconsider though, it's much worse when your computer is new and you're installing/running stuff for the first time. You mind find that after awhile you very rarely encounter it and the inconvenience tradeoff will be worth the benefit.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
control panel -> security center -> other security settings -> user account control

I'd suggest you reconsider though, it's much worse when your computer is new and you're installing/running stuff for the first time. You mind find that after awhile you very rarely encounter it and the inconvenience tradeoff will be worth the benefit.
I second this recommendation, it is annoying to begin with but a very good security feature. I also recommend that you set up a regular account that you use that does not have admin rights. That way whenever a new program attempts to install you will be prompted to enter your admin password. There may come a day when you pick up a rogue program that attempts to install itself to run in the background such as keystroke logger.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post

That makes a lot of sense....thanks, I think I'll follow this advice...
Old 09-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I second this recommendation, it is annoying to begin with but a very good security feature. I also recommend that you set up a regular account that you use that does not have admin rights. That way whenever a new program attempts to install you will be prompted to enter your admin password. There may come a day when you pick up a rogue program that attempts to install itself to run in the background such as keystroke logger.
OK, I guess you are all correct...thanks for the advice...just annoying right now as I am trying to download/install all my stuff...
Old 09-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I also just got a Dell laptop Studio this week. So far so good! Only thing I don't like is it's too hot on my lap. We have a Mac desk top so I didn't want to have 2 Mac's and ordered a PC. The Mac lap top doesn't get hot and I sort a wish I bought the Mac.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I also just got a Dell laptop Studio this week. So far so good! Only thing I don't like is it's too hot on my lap. We have a Mac desk top so I didn't want to have 2 Mac's and ordered a PC. The Mac lap top doesn't get hot and I sort a wish I bought the Mac.
I had the same complaint about the heat from my Dell laptop that I got a couple of years ago so I bought an e-pad laptop rest from Brookstone. The e-pad is a cushion thingy with a hard top and does a great job of insulation. It also makes a good tray to eat a meal from
Old 09-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #15

Thanks Alan, my SIL also told me that Target has something like what you mentioned. I'll take a look at Brookstone also.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I use this from Amazon: Amazon.com: Belkin F8N044-BRN CushTop Notebook Stand (Chocolate/Blue): Office Products

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I also just got a Dell laptop Studio this week. So far so good! Only thing I don't like is it's too hot on my lap.
Too bad CFB isn't around to point out you wouldn't have that problem if you hadn't bought something with an AMD chip in it...
Old 09-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Too bad CFB isn't around to point out you wouldn't have that problem if you hadn't bought something with an AMD chip in it...
Yes, CFB was well-balanced - a chip on each shoulder

That was a cheap shot, I do miss "the bunny"
Old 09-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #19

Yes, it does run hot, hotter than my old HP for sure. I read the user reviews that all pretty much said so and ordered the notebook stand with it. But I don't find it to be much of a nuisance. Actually when the weather turns colder it may be a feature
Old 09-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #20

my dell studio (purchased earlier this year) gets really hot too - the area where my wrists rest almost feel like they can burn me and sometimes the mouse is too hot to use...