Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Like W2R, I am not financially motivated to save money by by saving water. We do a lot of laundry for two people, run the dishwasher about every other day, water the lawn twice a week except in rainy season, take long showers with free flowing shower heads and my cost is about $100/mo. I have two water meters. I do not get a sewer charge on the meter used for lawn irrigation. Haven't heard much lately about saving water/saving the environment. A few years back there was a big push on conservation of water but then the local politicians permitted about a million apartment buildings to be built so I said to hell with it. They don't care-I don't care.
We have one of the few desalinization plants in the country but you don't hear much about it anymore. I guess it's priorities. One of my priorities is to have a good long shower when I want it. Just can't see those low flow water heads. Professor once told me that all the water that ever was and will ever be is here now.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My showerhead is not a limited flow model, but it is adjustable with a twist of the sprayhead. I leave it in the halfway open position as the default. If I want a stronger flow, I open it up on full blast for a few minutes.
I have a septic tank for outflow, municipal water for inflow. Cost is $110 per 6 months with no usage metering.
I had to teach Mr B to only run the faucets when he needed to, to keep the outflow to the septic system minimized. We practice "camp rules" for toilet flushing year round, i.e. flush every other time if only peeing.
There is enough rainfall/snowfall to keep the two town reservoirs steadily supplied. Once in a while, very rarely, there are alternating day watering restrictions imposed. I never water my lawn because more rain is never far away, even in slightly dry spells.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
@ Nords:
You mentioned some super-duper low flow shower head that was actually good to shower under in the past whose brand you & your wife beat out of some hotel manager AIR. What was that?
Spouse practically had a life-changing experience in that hotel. We've had this model of Oxygenics shower heads for just over three years. After we bought one for our master bedroom shower, we bought one for the other shower in our house and both showers in our rental.

It's a nice, thick, high-velocity, low-flow spray that doesn't use a lot of water. Best of all, it doesn't need cleaning. Literally. Never. Admittedly both our houses have water conditioners, but I've never had to pay any attention to these shower heads... no maintenance, no cleaning, nothing but using them and enjoying them.

Pricey, but they've already outlasted two cheap shower heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
But is that really wasting it? Doesn't it just go back into the ground or the treatment facility, then cycle back into the circle of life? I can see (even if I don't agree with) conserving to save a few dollars, but I don't see the resource waste. What am I missing?
IIRC, Los Angeles' water-supply system drains the aquifers and rivers and snowmelts of much of the southwestern U.S. When they're done with it they're discharging most of it out to sea, not returning it to the source.

We've had similar issues here in Hawaii with diverting water supplies for agriculture. Now some of the aquifer is contaminated with pesticides, and soil runoff (into the ocean) is a perpetual problem.

A number of communities are treating their sewage and using the "clean" effluent for non-potable applications (like golf courses). The only true water recycle program that I'm aware of, aside from the International Space Station, is toilet-to-tap. As you can imagine, TTT suffers from an image problem...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Got the ultra low flow shower head in via UPS today. Had a chance to give it a try. I like this more than the previous low flow (seems to remove soap more). Still way not as strong as my regular 2.5 gpm shower head, but acceptable.

Only problem now is this shower head hunting makes me look for a holy grail (low flow, high pressure, reasonable price).
Old 06-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Belay that order! That's what they'd say on the old Star Trek: TNG shows.

Looks like I'll be returning the low flow shower heads. My friend already threw on the towel, didn't like the low flow.

So it's gonna be back to a cheapo Wally World showerhead but no low flow, but a pause button to temporarily stop the flow to a trickle.

If it was me, I'd try to low flow to LBYM and get the $ savings. But not my call.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

If you fill a glass of water from the tap here and let it sit overnight, the taste of chlorine is very strong. In the past year DW got enamored of getting the chlorine out of the shower water and so we got a filter shower head and I installed it. The package claimed that the shower head was low flow. The shower head doesn't put out a lot of water, but it sprays hard, so it is effective in removing soap etc.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #27

We live on a lake, and our water system draws water from the lake. The lake is maintained at 32 feet. After hurricane Ike, they took the lake down 6 feet or so to repair the dam. It took less than three weeks to refill the lake when the dam was fixed. Even though most of Texas is in a drouth, the lake is still at 32 feet. We pay the minimum water bill and enjoy long hot strong showers!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
We live on a lake, and our water system draws water from the lake. The lake is maintained at 32 feet. After hurricane Ike, they took the lake down 6 feet or so to repair the dam. It took less than three weeks to refill the lake when the dam was fixed.
As long as those folks up in Dallas keep flushing their toilets you'll never run out of water...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #29

I can only hope! That's why our MUD tax is so high, it all goes to filtration!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Well, I'm back at it again...may have found a low-flow that works (enough pressure and doesn't sacrifice on feel of water)...

Delta Water-Amplifying Showerhead in Chrome - 75153 at The Home Depot

Actually I wanted a different brand's showerhead, but that wasn't in the store. I also added an in-line shut off valve so I can even temporarily shut off the water flow as I suds up and scrub
Old 07-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I hate low-flow showers; it seems like I can't properly rinse my hair. When we moved to our current house, we had our 1955 shower fixtures rebuilt for $20. We have great water flow; guests tell us its like showering in a car wash! Our water bill runs $23/month.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Nuts.

I take short showers, as does DW. The boy does not. When he leaves, he pays his own water & heating bills. (Boy, is he in for a surprise!)

I do what I want, but I do not waste. And I if I so choose to enjoy a few more minutes, I pay. (The heart of a verdammt ingenieurr.)
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I do what I want, but I do not waste. And I if I so choose to enjoy a few more minutes, I pay. (The heart of a verdammt ingenieurr.)
I figure I've already taken my lifetime quota of submarine showers...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
I hate low-flow showers; it seems like I can't properly rinse my hair. When we moved to our current house, we had our 1955 shower fixtures rebuilt for $20. We have great water flow; guests tell us its like showering in a car wash! Our water bill runs $23/month.
The Delta model I get puts out pretty good large blobs of water as opposed to the other low flows I tried that had a very narrow stream which left me feeling a bit unrinsed and chilly.