Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
Have you visited Tallahassee?

Shopping is not great, generally chains, but there are more boutiques coming in, though I never go.

It is relatively inexpensive compared to your area, especially housing.

There is a civic center that has a broadway series of 8 shows each year, as well as local playhouse and FSU school of Theater productions.

There are lots of good local non-chain restaurants - in every variety of cuisine.

There is a local airport, but it can be expensive to fly from here depending on where you are going and and how many tickets you need. (It is often a better deal to fly out of Jax, which is 2.5 hours away - for a family of 4, it's a big deal).

We also have seaons and hills, a growing art community and lots of great outdoor stuff.

I haven't visited that part of the state but it is on my list of things to do . It sounds nice .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
This is a very confusing thread.
W2R:

That makes two of us. Is Moemg looking for a "low-cost-of-visiting" place? or what? I think there are so many (relatively) LCOL places that you'd have to narrow down the area of the country that interests you, based on weather, local culture and a bunch of other parameters.

An interesting site is
Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, maps, race, income, photos, education, crime, weather, houses, etc.
There are plenty of people there with opinions about the areas they've moved to, and tons of rankings to sift through.

I'm sorry I seem to have confused everybody including myself. I'm not moving at least not now . I was considering buying a second home near my daughter in Jamestown,NY but after being there I realized I could not live there even part time so that got me thinking .Are there low cost areas that I would find appealing or does moving to a low cost area mean giving up on some of the perks that come with higher prices . I hope this explains things .

Old 03-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
The Keweenaw Snow Thermometer

All in fun of course, upstate NY is very similar to upper michigan in terms of weather.
oh boy. now that is some serious snow. made me feel better.

i use my 4 foot garden fence as a snow gauge. it doesn't always reach the top.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

moemg. just thought of a place you might like, folksy, character, arts and i'd imagine good restaurants and a 6 hour, 350-mile drive to jamestown: Town of Woodstock where a friend of mine has been vacationing for years and now her mom is considering moving there, having completely enjoyed last summer in a cabin. lots of eccentrics of all types and from pictures they've shown me the town looks to be just charming.

i'd rather live "downtown" (it's probably gotta downtown like petticoat junction) but here's a nice looking circa 1825 house on 5 acres near town for under $300k Single Family Home - Woodstock, NY, 12498 - Realtor.com

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
moemg. just thought of a place you might like, folksy, character, arts and i'd imagine good restaurants and a 6 hour, 350-mile drive to jamestown: Town of Woodstock where a friend of mine has been vacationing for years and now her mom is considering moving there, having completely enjoyed last summer in a cabin. lots of eccentrics of all types and from pictures they've shown me the town looks to be just charming.

i'd rather live "downtown" (it's probably gotta downtown like petticoat junction) but here's a nice looking circa 1825 house on 5 acres near town for under $300k Single Family Home - Woodstock, NY, 12498 - Realtor.com

I visited that town once and it was charming in a funky sort of way . Thanks lazy for reminding me of it .
Old 03-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Moemg, you might check out these three places people I know have moved to (from Chicago area):

Asheville, NC (lots of retirees from all over, ready to meet other retirees)
Champaign-Urbana, IL (U of I college town, school brings in cultural events)
Sarasota, FL

All three friends rave about the towns. All three have better weather than Chicago.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Moemg, you might check out these three places people I know have moved to (from Chicago area):

Asheville, NC (lots of retirees from all over, ready to meet other retirees)
Champaign-Urbana, IL (U of I college town, school brings in cultural events)
Sarasota, FL

All three friends rave about the towns. All three have better weather than Chicago.

Don't know about the first two but I can vouch for Sarasota ,Fl .since I live there .
Old 03-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I visited that town once and it was charming in a funky sort of way . Thanks lazy for reminding me of it .
if it was 1969, and you remember Woodstock, you probably weren't there.

i've been there also, many many many moons ago. a tremendous artists' haven. neat little town.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
if it was 1969, and you remember Woodstock, you probably weren't there.

i've been there also, many many many moons ago. a tremendous artists' haven. neat little town.
The 'Woodstock Festival' was supposed to originally be in Woodstock, but they didn't want it; smart move.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, Moemg--all I noticed was Jamestown and didn't realized the Sarasota reference in your OP meant you live there now (of course I could have let my eyes drift left to your location ). Duh--at least I can tell you it's a very very picky friend who moved to Sarasota so I know it must be a great place to live!
Old 03-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Sorry, Moemg--all I noticed was Jamestown and didn't realized the Sarasota reference in your OP meant you live there now (of course I could have let my eyes drift left to your location ). Duh--at least I can tell you it's a very very picky friend who moved to Sarasota so I know it must be a great place to live!

No problem ,it gave me my chuckle for today .
Old 03-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Conroe, Tx about 45 min north of Houston. Rural environments available. 19.5 reduction on the calculator. If you don't want the humidity, Plano, Tx. 12.XX on the scale, Just north of Dallas.

Note: Chigger and gators not listed in calculator!
Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Note: Chigger and gators not listed in calculator!
Nor are the mosquitoes, ticks, fire ants, water moccasins, rednecks, and various other native species...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #54

I used to own a vacation home 18 miles from Woodstock. There are many nice small towns near Woodstock where the houses are cheaper and you don't have to put up with Woodstock's tourist traffic. The town of Woodstock is strictly a toursit trap and prices in the stores reflect that.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
The 'Woodstock Festival' was supposed to originally be in Woodstock, but they didn't want it; smart move.
yes, you are right on with that, Khan. so it was held on a nearby farm in Bethel NY. i was 11 at the time so i was not there.

but i was very close by in the lower Hudson Valley. close enough to hear adults talking about "those *$! hippies" and "the NYS Thruway's closed, man" (Country Joe and the Fish).

I was actually there (the same farm field) many many years later at a concert called "Back to the Garden". Saw Joni Mitchell and was close enough to the stage to see her fillings.

and of course where in the world was the last Woodstock held?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I think Rapid City, South Dakota, and Lincoln, Nebraska are underrated, as is Greensville, SC...............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post

... So my question is when you look at less expensive areas do you look at all the costs plus do any of the really inexpensive places to live have decent restaurants ,shows ,music and shopping beyond Walmart ?
I would choose a place where I really want to be and then make it affordable--for instance, when I moved to the big city, I had a roommate. My experience is that the restaurant food is really bad in inexpensive places; so bad as to be a deal breaker. Sad to say the live entertainment I'm interested in may not be as good; however suburbs of large cities and college towns may have excellent plays, operas, etc. I don't know about rock and country music but if seems to be great out in the inexpensive areas. Of course, shopping can be exceptionally good now by internet.

From my viewpoint this topic is as much about asset allocation as location. I live in a rent-controlled apt. in an expensive city; have no car; and donít travel but rather enjoy the immediate neighborhood when on vacation. While Iím still working, I could spend the same amount of money living somewhere "less expensive" but within commute range where I would need a car. During retirement, again spending the same amount of money, I could move to an "inexpensive place," where I would own a car and travel, probably returning to my old neighborhood occasionally. When I moved in Ď94, moving expenses were about $10,000.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Wilmington NC is the front-runner for DW and I, but we've never lived there and we still have several years to decide. Any comments, good or bad, on Wilmington would be welcome...

Annapolis MD or somewhere around the Chesapeake are in the running, but probably too expensive when all is said and done.

CT or RI were our first choices, but too expensive, too cold and politics too distasteful for us. San Diego was at the top of our list until we ran the numbers, that's out. Up around Puget Sound was also high on our list, but cost and endless rainfall have made that unlikely. Love Austin TX too, but just too damn hot. FL is a no go for us, we lived there for 3 years and hated it, although we understand our's is not the mainstream view - goes to show you no one can decide for anyone else.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
From my viewpoint this topic is as much about asset allocation as location. I live in a rent-controlled apt. in an expensive city; have no car; and donít travel but rather enjoy the immediate neighborhood when on vacation. While Iím still working, I could spend the same amount of money living somewhere "less expensive" but within commute range where I would need a car. During retirement, again spending the same amount of money, I could move to an "inexpensive place," where I would own a car and travel, probably returning to my old neighborhood occasionally. When I moved in Ď94, moving expenses were about $10,000.
I see it this way too. I can have museum access, free concerts, jazz, etc- all year long for about what one trip to a city to enjoy this once a year would cost from a town 150 miles away.

BTW, how did you score the rent controled apt?

Ha