Lower priced 3g Kindle (with offers from AT&T)

mickj

Recycles dryer sheets
This really is tempting to me. They have the 3g kindle for $139. All I will have to do is have ads from AT&T on the screen saver.

I like my Nook Color. Books (bought and library). Email for all accounts. Browser. MP3s. Movies for plane rides. It is a good ereader and a sufficient tablet to meet my travel needs.

I bought the Nook Touch about a month ago. I have not rooted it yet, but thought about it. I don't have a lot of use for a 3g e reader as I am at a wifi about 98% of the time.

Rustic23 said:
I bought the Nook Touch about a month ago. I have not rooted it yet, but thought about it. I don't have a lot of use for a 3g e reader as I am at a wifi about 98% of the time.
I tested out rooting the Nook Color with a bootable sd card. I ultimately decided I liked it better as commercially configured. It is better as a reader than with the app and I can do all the other stuff listed above on the standard setup. The regular touch can't do all of that even rooted can it?

I am tempted by this new offer as well. DW and I each have Kindles, but hers has a big crack in it and we are thinking of handing it down to our teenage sons for their school English reading assignments.

It has not been rooted that long, but it appears to have the same version of Android as the NC. Not really got for games, or videos, but for web and text type stuff it works.

It has not been rooted that long, but it appears to have the same version of Android as the NC. Not really got for games, or videos, but for web and text type stuff it works.
We have a Nook Color and a new Nook Touch. It is easy to share books and the Color serves as a budget tablet for email/web while traveling. I wouldn't bother with two Colors since they are heavier. The Touch is very light weight - perfect for a traveling book reader. If there is no WIFI I can turn on the WIFI hotspot on my phone. From what I have seen of the new Kindle and the Nook Touch I would go with the Nook. I don't care about Amazon since I get most of my ebooks from the library anyway.

In terms of reading, is there any reason to get 3G? I'd think that you could download all your books when you have wifi. Email would be a different matter.

In terms of reading, is there any reason to get 3G? I'd think that you could download all your books when you have wifi. Email would be a different matter.

I was given a gift of a Kindle without 3G. I love it. I have a home wireless network so I can download at any time. When away from home I can connect to any publicly available wifi. The third option is to download books to your computer and just connect it to your Kindle. That gives you the option of reading them on the computer if you wish. (I don't do that). I got my Kindle in the middle of my move and I didn't even have a home wireless network at that time, but I didn't miss not having 3G.

It's interesting how the Kindle has changed my reading habits. I used to buy a lot of recently published books, many of them by Canadian authors. Some of the new stuff may be too "niche" for Amazon and isn't available (yet). However, I am reading or rereading the classics for free.

I would not use the Kindle to send email or surf the internet. It's just too clunky.

I agree with Meadb on the 3G. I just don't see why you would need it. I think we covered other aspects in a different thread but as a reminder, if you want to read library books you would do better with a Nook (for now) since current library books are in ePub and PDF format. Because of DRM you couldn't convert them for the Kindle (unless you want to load decryption modules in your Calibre app). The Nook Touch seems as nice or nicer than the Kindle. The Nook Color offer a limited but pretty useful small tablet if you want to add email, browser, video and very limited apps. The Color is not available with 3G.

On the 3G question for standard tablets like the iPad or Xoom, I always figured if I get one I would go with WIFI only since I am usually at home or could tap into my smart phone when needed. However, a guest at my weekend house had an iPad with 3G and it was nice. There is no Internet access down there and being able to just grab the iPad and be online instantly was nice. I would lean toward popping for the extra $20/mth for 3G for an iPad.

The more books I read on my iPod touch Kindle reader, the less I want to read normal books.

Today I was reading a paper book, and I came across a word I didn't know. Not making this up: I started to press my finger on it to bring up the definition.

The more books I read on my iPod touch Kindle reader, the less I want to read normal books.

Today I was reading a paper book, and I came across a word I didn't know. Not making this up: I started to press my finger on it to bring up the definition.

Well, listening to the radio in the car. we have, on multiple occasions, reached for the "back" button (which does not exist). Maybe you need a Tivo. The car has no TiVo! -- Yet.

Edit to add: you need to have a TiVo to appreciate this post.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom