Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Lowes Appliance shopping (Grrrrrr!)
Old 11-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lakewood90712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,316
Lowes Appliance shopping (Grrrrrr!)

Bought last few appliances at Lowes, easy , no hassles.

Putting down a new kitchen floor , "Why not replace that old stove too". Good Idea. look online, the whirlpool model with sealed burners, big oven window, and the full grate top , on sale, but not in stock nearby. Went to the store to look at the floor model , ok good , the exact one for us "Thrifty" retirees.

Clerk checks, none in stock, special order only. Went home, ordered online on the 11th , for store pickup " expected delivery date 11/21 '.

2 days later , got a call from the store asking if I still want to order ? , uh, YES.

11/20 , store calls , says it's here. OK will be in this weekend to pick-up. Put the old stove at the curb, disappears in less than 30 minutes.

11/22 go to store, Uh , we don't have it, the system shows minus 3 in inventory ?

OK, I ask how did that happen, did you sell it to someone just walking in ? Blank look on the face of the clerk and no answer, 2nd clerk disappears. Ask the same question again " clerk: UH, you will have to call in on Monday , next shipment is nov 29th.

All ok except put the old stove is GONE.

I usually don't get mad, but I hate getting lied to. A simple "ya, we screwed up , were sorry" would be ok.
__________________

__________________
“The finance industry is 5% rational people and 95% shamans and faith healers.” - Charlie Munger
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,288
Just saying....

You made the big mistake of getting rid of your old one PRIOR to having the new one at your house....

Sure, they messed up big time.... but so did you....

I never get rid of anything until I know the new one is installed and working...
__________________

__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
walkinwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,677
I've had a similar experience with Lowes when buying a gas grill over a year ago. Their online system is broken!
__________________
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,899
I had to explain a concern to 5 Lowes employees in succession over a stove delivery at a rental home. Each one passed me to the next one. I think Lowes is part of the government!

Amethyst
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
I've had all kinds of issues with Lowes, so much so that if I need to buy there, I expect issues. I still have a few hundred in GC money to use up before I stay away for good. It's so bad with them there's a Facebook site they want you to go to so you can vent your issues and to get updates/track it. They do respond within a day or two. You may even get a mgr call back too.

https://www.facebook.com/lowes/app_1387359808211576
__________________
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,571
We were going to buy a clothes dryer there. Old one was broken and the part costs more than it's worth to fix the dryer. Online shows they carry the one we want. Go to store, tell 'em we want it. Oh, and we want the natural gas model.

Uh oh, that changes everything. Now it is ten days to get it. It's in Baltimore, two hours away. It takes ten days to make a four-hour round trip? Apparently so. The heck with that, went to local Mom 'n Pop appliance store, they have it in the back, will deliver tomorrow AM, same price.

We have since bought another three or four appliances at the Mom 'n Pop store, no issues.

Lesson learned.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: chicago burbs
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Bought last few appliances at Lowes, easy , no hassles.

Putting down a new kitchen floor , "Why not replace that old stove too". Good Idea. look online, the whirlpool model with sealed burners, big oven window, and the full grate top , on sale, but not in stock nearby. Went to the store to look at the floor model , ok good , the exact one for us "Thrifty" retirees.

Clerk checks, none in stock, special order only. Went home, ordered online on the 11th , for store pickup " expected delivery date 11/21 '.

2 days later , got a call from the store asking if I still want to order ? , uh, YES.

11/20 , store calls , says it's here. OK will be in this weekend to pick-up. Put the old stove at the curb, disappears in less than 30 minutes.

11/22 go to store, Uh , we don't have it, the system shows minus 3 in inventory ?

OK, I ask how did that happen, did you sell it to someone just walking in ? Blank look on the face of the clerk and no answer, 2nd clerk disappears. Ask the same question again " clerk: UH, you will have to call in on Monday , next shipment is nov 29th.

All ok except put the old stove is GONE.

I usually don't get mad, but I hate getting lied to. A simple "ya, we screwed up , were sorry" would be ok.
A related Lowes story. Needed a long stemmed funnel (to put oil in my new snowblower). Lowes did not have them. Went down the street to Home Depot - no problem.

Hope you are not hosting TG. Think I'll avoid Lowes in the future given your and all other posts.
__________________
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,168
Last summer replacing a small water valve, went to Lowes (I am a Business card member) and there were none in stock.. Mind you, this is a very common valve . Went to HD and they had dozens. I am no longer a card carrying Lowes business member.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lakewood90712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just saying....

You made the big mistake of getting rid of your old one PRIOR to having the new one at your house....

Sure, they messed up big time.... but so did you....

I never get rid of anything until I know the new one is installed and working...
I sure did screw up on this one.

I guess retail is like the disclaimer on financial products: " Past performance is no guarantee of future results"
__________________
“The finance industry is 5% rational people and 95% shamans and faith healers.” - Charlie Munger
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,896
I see that Lowes strikes again.

I've had experiences in the past where they are so confident during the selling that installation will go without a hitch only to find excuse after excuse to not install.

Saying Lowes appliance installation is a joke is being too generous.

The store might look like a Home Depot. But Lowes is no Home Depot.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I had to explain a concern to 5 Lowes employees in succession over a stove delivery at a rental home. Each one passed me to the next one. I think Lowes is part of the government!

Amethyst

ROFLOL!!!!


But, if it were the gvmt, there would be more layers and nothing would be done in the end....
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
I sure did screw up on this one.

I guess retail is like the disclaimer on financial products: " Past performance is no guarantee of future results"


I agree... a number of years back it was HD that was in pretty bad shape and Lowes was quite good... I bought a fridge from them without any problem... but I have migrated back to HD for some unknown reason.... so Lowes must not be doing something right since I was avoiding HD for lack of service.... never thought about it, but there it is....

BTW, I USED to go to Sears, but rarely do now... and I have a Sears hardware close to me... it just does not pop into my mind when I need something even though whenever I do go there they have what I need....
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I agree... a number of years back it was HD that was in pretty bad shape and Lowes was quite good... I bought a fridge from them without any problem... but I have migrated back to HD for some unknown reason.... so Lowes must not be doing something right since I was avoiding HD for lack of service.... never thought about it, but there it is....

BTW, I USED to go to Sears, but rarely do now... and I have a Sears hardware close to me... it just does not pop into my mind when I need something even though whenever I do go there they have what I need....
My first credit card was a Sears one way back when. But now the only time I go there is to check out Craftsman tools (I use those C3 line of batteries). Even then, I see if there's a comparable tool at HD (use those 18V batteries there).
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My first credit card was a Sears one way back when. But now the only time I go there is to check out Craftsman tools (I use those C3 line of batteries). Even then, I see if there's a comparable tool at HD (use those 18V batteries there).
Craftsman tools are junk nowadays. Ask me how I know.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Craftsman tools are junk nowadays. Ask me how I know.
I know, not the best, but for the budget minded. It's tough go spend hundreds of dollars on a tool for a top named brand, when I could get a working tool Craftsman for about $50. Plus, I already use a lot of tools using the C3 battery line.

Though, I actually use three battery lines now. Craftsman, Ryobi (i hear, the same manufacturer of Craftsman) and Milwaukee (for a big ass impact wrench for my car).
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I know, not the best, but for the budget minded. It's tough go spend hundreds of dollars on a tool for a top named brand, when I could get a working tool Craftsman for about $50. Plus, I already use a lot of tools using the C3 battery line.

Though, I actually use three battery lines now. Craftsman, Ryobi (i hear, the same manufacturer of Craftsman) and Milwaukee (for a big ass impact wrench for my car).
I have 50 year old Craftsman tools that have stood the test of time and several car restorations.

Two years ago, I was given a new 1/2" drive Craftsman socket set (DW thought my tools were "old") and the ratchet didn't work out of the the box. When I brought it back to Sears, the counter guy threw it in a 5 gallon pail that had several of them in there along with a mix of broken wrenches. He said the pail gets emptied when full and the tools get sent back to the supplier.

I have split at least three of the new1/2 drive Craftsman sockets.

If you want cheap tools that actually work pretty well, go to Harbor Freight. My 1/2" drive HF impact wrench sockets are indestructible.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,896
Once when Craftsman/Sears no longer had the lifetime warranties, that was a sign.

I got this Craftsman cordless tire pump which the chuck is made out of plastic that easily breaks. But some of the tools are somewhat unique.

A case in point about price differences though:

http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-19-2...sman+c3+jigsaw

vs

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-XVJ03Z-...ita+jigsaw+18v

Tough to pull the trigger for an approximately $250 top of the line jigsaw when you can get one for a lot less.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Once when Craftsman/Sears no longer had the lifetime warranties, that was a sign.

I got this Craftsman cordless tire pump which the chuck is made out of plastic that easily breaks. But some of the tools are somewhat unique.
I have bought a few Kobalt tools at Lowes. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and price. Not Snap On or Proto, but not bad.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I have bought a few Kobalt tools at Lowes. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and price. Not Snap On or Proto, but not bad.

I haven't tried Kobalt. As you can tell from my earlier posts, I don't visit Lowes too often.

But was just reading reviews about the Kobalt 20-Volt 1/2-in Impact wrench rated at 350 ft-lbs. The reviews are positive. Looks like a powerful wrench.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I haven't tried Kobalt. As you can tell from my earlier posts, I don't visit Lowes too often.

But was just reading reviews about the Kobalt 20-Volt 1/2-in Impact wrench rated at 350 ft-lbs. The reviews are positive. Looks like a powerful wrench.
I bought the Kobal copy of the Dremel when my Dremel burned up. I'm satisfied and it is corded as I like them. I have an IR impact wrench that's runs off my compressor. I did try a neighbor's electric one (don't remember the brand) and it was impressive.

I think Lowes is trying harder, but has real stiff competition with HD as we all know. I'll never buy lumber at Lowes again. One Saturday I was trying to buy a 8' x 4' sheet of sanded 3/4" plywood and couldn't find a flat or undamaged sheet in the place.
__________________

__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lowes gift card 10% bonus exp 3/14/11, $500 min Dimsumkid Other topics 6 03-14-2011 08:40 AM
Lowes is going to start selling DIY Solar Panels jimnjana Other topics 3 12-13-2009 04:48 AM
WalMart buy Lowes? Bigritchie FIRE and Money 2 07-20-2007 04:24 PM
Lowes and Home Depot wabmester FIRE and Money 24 08-26-2006 02:45 PM
Lowes 10% Military Discount mickeyd Other topics 2 07-03-2006 10:12 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:26 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.