Join Early Retirement Today

Lowes Veteran's discount
Old 09-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lowes Veteran's discount

Veterans without a permanent military ID, just a heads up - Lowes Building Materials store offers a 10% discount to vets or military. I had taken a run at that discount a few times and was asked for my DD214, something not normally in my pocket. Learned that the state of Oregon will issue a driver's license with "veteran" printed on it. Went to the trouble of getting a new replacement license - think it cost $25 or so. May be worth seeing if that is possible for you.

Bought a frig from Lowes yesterday for the rentals. 10% off from Lowes, $45 savings. Nice! Oh - another 2% off for using our Fidelity card. Another $8 savings.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Home Depot also offers a 10% discount to active military and vets.
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #3

A number of states offer the veteran designation on their driver's licenses.
Each state has different procedures, but most involve submitting a copy of the DD-214 form.

Current states offering (or soon to offer) this marking on the license are:
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona (soon)
Arkansas
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Idaho (soon)
Illinois (in 2015)
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Minnesota
Missouri
New Mexico
New York (soon)
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania (in 2015)
Puerto Rico
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia (separate ID card issued by DMV)
West Virginia
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A number of states offer the veteran designation on their driver's licenses.
Each state has different procedures, but most involve submitting a copy of the DD-214 form.

Current states offering (or soon to offer) this marking on the license are:
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona (soon)
Arkansas
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Idaho (soon)
Illinois (in 2015)
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Minnesota
Missouri
New Mexico
New York (soon)
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania (in 2015)
Puerto Rico
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia (separate ID card issued by DMV)
West Virginia
I recently obtained a Mississippi Driver's license with a "VET" stamp. I followed the published instructions. I had to send a copy of my DD214 to the State Veteran's Affairs Board. They certified the DD214 with an embossed stamp and returned to me. I took the certified DD214 to the DVM where they issued a new license with the "VET" stamp. The only fee is the normal driver's license renewal fee.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #5

Oops! Missed at least one, I see.
Thanks, JakeBrake.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

State of OH will add the term "ARMED FORCES" to the driver's license if qualified at no cost. Nice of Lowe's and HD to give the discounts. Some other stores will also if one asks.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I have taken advantage of the discount @ both stores many times over the last few years. They always thank me for my service.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Please be aware that there are distinctions with these Home Depot & Lowes discounts.

There are two different discounts, and both stores are making up their own vocabulary: a "military discount" and a "veterans discount". To make it even more confusing, many of the store managers don't even understand their own corporate policy (or they're being exceedingly generous). The chains have been doing this for years and have recently attempted to throttle back to the stated policy, which is now causing hate & discontent among many military veterans & families.

Here's the basic deal, brought to you by Kate Kashman's "Paycheck Chronicles" blog at Military.com:
Quote:
The military discount is supposed to be for active duty military, current Reservists, National Guard members, retirees, disabled veterans and their families. It gives a 10% discount to eligible patrons every day.
Eligibility is pretty straightforward: show your DoD military ID. If you have a veteran's ID card, or if you don't have any military/veteran's ID, then you're technically not eligible for this discount. However the store manager or clerk may give it to you anyway, especially if you confidently flash your driver's license "veteran" designation or your DD-214.

Personally, it's an acquired habit. I keep using the self-checkout counter and forgetting to show the attendant my ID. At least the cashiers help me remember to show my military ID.

Quote:
The veterans’ discount is for any and all veterans. It gives a 10% discount to eligible patrons on selected patriotic holiday weekends such as Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, and Veterans’ Day.
Documenting this eligibility gets pretty confusing. A DD-214 always works, of course, as does a VA veteran's ID card. After that it varies by state and by store: driver's licenses, membership cards from veteran's support organizations like DAV or VFW, a DoD civil-service ID, or some other official-looking document with the word "veteran" on it. Once again the store managers, their clerks, and the degree of holiday-weekend chaos will influence your eligibility and the documentation requirements.

Oh, and this has to be mentioned too: in America, the discount is intended for U.S. military. I'm not sure what other countries have Lowes and Home Depot stores, and they might offer military discounts in those countries too.

If your local store has difficulty understanding their own policy, you could suggest to the manager that they post sample images of the appropriate IDs at the registers. That way the cashiers and the customers can both understand the rules (and help the managers post a complete list of IDs).

Kate has received thousands of comments from her readers on this question, and you can read more on her blog:
Home Depot & Lowes Military and Veteran Discounts
http://paycheck-chronicles.military....pot-revisited/

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote