Luddite

Mr._johngalt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Okay, I am now fully out of the closet and have crossed over into full
blown Luddite thinking. Three (3) recent events triggered this.

1. Can't find anything to watch on TV.

2. The "buzz" over the PS3 (?) whatever that is.

3. My decision to cancel my ISP effective 12-1-06.

I returned my new DVD player, trashed my toaster, stored my
programable coffee maker, and went back to a manual can opener.
I am retaining electricity and the internal combustion engine.
All other technology is now verboten in my house. EOR :D

JG

The next logical step is to check into the rubber room. :LOL:

Zipper said:
The next logical step is to check into the rubber room. :LOL:

Hadn't thought of that, but technology was pushing me in that
direction. Hey, it will be interesting to see how far I go with this.
I could add it to my Letterman list of "Top 10 ER Surprises". :)

JG

i have long suspected that i too am a latent luddite, and suspect that it's clear to those who know me ... but it's not something you should go shouting to the world!

What ever makes you happy man:)
Technology is a tool, if you feel there is too much of it around and you would lead a happier life with less, more power to you!

Mr._johngalt said:
Okay, I am now fully out of the closet and have crossed over into full blown Luddite thinking.

I used to work with a number of people that became giddy with excitement over newer, more powerful computers (or just about any other electronic toy). To me, computers are simply tools, like a hammer. Unfortunately, unlike hammers they tend to generate ever more work just to keep them running. Faster computers also stimulate ever more complex software (not to be confused with usable, effective software) which can often needlessly complicate the very process it was intended to facilitate!

Put me down as a Luddite sympathizer ;)

I think age plays a significant role in Ludditehood. My brother and I purchased a VCR for my father once, thinking he'd enjoy watching old movies and such. Never happened. One of us would visit him and find that the clock was flashing and after further investigation found that it hadn't been used since the previous child visit. While there, he enjoyed the movies we had brought or rented, but he never took any initiative to watch by himself.

As for me, I pick my Luddite battles. I like the internet and can even do the Google on occasion, but finding out that some sort of DOS may or may not exist inside 'the box' somewhere near my legs is just not of interest to me.

What's a non-manual can opener? :D

John I am going to miss you come December! We have most of the toys:
2 TVs with digital cable
Home theatre sound system
DVD
DVR
2 VHS
MP3 Jukebox
2 wireline and 3 cordless phones
2 cell phones
Digital camera
Laptop and desktop PCs with wireless LAN
High speed Internet and total digital home package on cable
Smart ring, voicemail and calling option package

We have gotten rid of most kitchen toys by giving them to a friend who is setting up a new country home. Melitta drip coffeemaker, toaster oven, microwave, Braun beater, gas BBQ iare all we use now. One vacuum, circular saw, electric drill, electric hedge trimmer. Pretty basic. Got rid of most items before moving from the acreage to the condo (3000 miles away).

I conclude that we have invested in entertainment and communications. Although most are getting old by current standards.

Mr._johngalt said:
Okay, I am now fully out of the closet and have crossed over

Have you gotten a welcome letter from the Log Cabin Republicans.

kcowan said:
John I am going to miss you come December! We have most of the toys:
2 TVs with digital cable
Home theatre sound system
DVD
DVR
2 VHS
MP3 Jukebox
2 wireline and 3 cordless phones
2 cell phones
Digital camera
Laptop and desktop PCs with wireless LAN
High speed Internet and total digital home package on cable
Smart ring, voicemail and calling option package

We have gotten rid of most kitchen toys by giving them to a friend who is setting up a new country home. Melitta drip coffeemaker, toaster oven, microwave, Braun beater, gas BBQ iare all we use now. One vacuum, circular saw, electric drill, electric hedge trimmer. Pretty basic. Got rid of most items before moving from the acreage to the condo (3000 miles away).

I conclude that we have invested in entertainment and communications. Although most are getting old by current standards.

Appreciate your support, but I won't disappear in December. I'll just be sitting in
a different chair than the one I am in right now (and using a
different computer).

As re. "toys", one man's "toy" can be another man's albatross.
The stuff you listed would mostly just clutter up my life, although I
am happy for others who get pleasure out of such. I do not.

JG

Greg said:
I think age plays a significant role in Ludditehood. My brother and I purchased a VCR for my father once, thinking he'd enjoy watching old movies and such. Never happened. One of us would visit him and find that the clock was flashing and after further investigation found that it hadn't been used since the previous child visit.

Agree with your theory. Coincidentally, had a conversation with my fav. bartender about this very topic last night. Exactly the same deal with her
folks and with mine. Bought them a VCR. Showed them mnay many times how to use it. Bought them tapes. It all just sits and gathers dust.

JG

Zathras said:
What ever makes you happy man:)
Technology is a tool, if you feel there is too much of it around and you would lead a happier life with less, more power to you!

Well, I know in which direction I wish to go. The question for me
is where will I find the optimum point to stop with the "less is more"
approach.

JG

Just think - you are "ahead" (technology speaking) of those that lived 100 (or 1,000) years ago.

If you're happy in your current life/situation, it dosen't matter what others "think".

Like the song says, "Be happy"...

- Ron

... but it's not something you should go shouting to the world!
Why not?
...cuz there's no payoff in doing so.

kcowan said:
We have gotten rid of most kitchen toys by giving them to a friend who is setting up a new country home.

We just finished tossing/giving away almost everything we owned in the kitchen and bought all new. We, too, now have very little in the way of toys. Instead we bought things like top-quality pans, knives, etc... the same stuff that was important a century ago. It has been a big improvement. Very expensive, but well worth it. The food is better and the prep is easier. We weren't exactly cooking in tin cans before, but we were about as close as you could get and still call it a pan (tin cans with handles).

d said:
...cuz there's no payoff in doing so.

Oh. Maybe that's why I get in trouble as I always take the approach
that every person is entitled to my opinion. :)

JG

I always take the approach
that every person is entitled to my opinion.
my opinions are always more valued when unexpressed.

...trashed my toaster...

I remember when i was a kid back in Ireland -- my grandmother had a big, telescoping fork that was used to make toast over the fireplace -- one piece at a time. She'd bring out a plate of her own, homemade, home-sliced bread, Grandad would toast each piece over the peat fire while we kids roasted our toes and fingers and faces beside him. The finished toast would disappear back into the scullery to reemerge, a minute later, covered in creamy Irish butter and blackcurrant jam.

Yes, slipping a couple of slices of Wonderbread into a toaster is a LOT faster. But it will never warm my heart the way these family memories do.

Mr._johngalt said:
Okay, I am now fully out of the closet and have crossed over into full blown Luddite thinking.
I am retaining electricity and the internal combustion engine.
All other technology is now verboten in my house. EOR :D
You would think that someone of your self-professed guts, brains, determination, & MENSA membership would be able to cope with a few common household appliances. What are your plans for your high-efficiency refrigerator? Air conditioning? Microwave oven? Flush toilets?

Gosh, JG, when I get to be your age I sure hope I'm not as old as you...

I don't understand the frenzy over the new PS3. Does that make me a luddite or an old fogey?

kcowan said:
I don't understand the frenzy over the new PS3. Does that make me a luddite or an old fogey?

Judging from your past posts, I would say old fogey. :)

Back
Top Bottom